Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
10/15/2021 7:52:46 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2015 7:38:00 PM EDT

I am a thirty something semi-often casual rider of road and mountain bikes. I grew up glued to a BMX.  Today I rode a recumbent for the first time (a Greenspeed trike) Hoooo-leeee-sssssshiiiiit, I get it. I absolutely get it.  The comfort level awesome. Without running the risk of overselling the experience, it really was one of those rare moments on life where you have that thought "This changes everything."  

It had so many adjustments and I spent a little time dialing it in for me, oh, it was so comfortable. It really felt like riding a canvas lawn chair down the road.

I never thought much about them other than what I assume many other people think "That looks goofy" or "old guy bike."  

I have been doing a little reading for the last hour and I was looking for ya'lls thoughts.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:39:05 PM EDT
I passed a guy on one today alongside the road and thought to myself "That looks like a great way to get run the fuck over."
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:45:23 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I passed a guy on one today alongside the road and thought to myself "That looks like a great way to get run the fuck over."
View Quote

ANY bicycle in the roadway is "a great way to get run the fuck over."  Bicycles belong on the sidewalk, cars belong on the road.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:51:06 PM EDT
I never see anyone haul ass on a recumbent.

Seems like a step backward.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:52:20 PM EDT
Quoted:

ANY bicycle in the roadway is "a great way to get run the fuck over."  Bicycles belong on the sidewalk, cars belong on the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but those things are LOW and much harder to see than a traditional bicycle, even with the goofy flag.

I'd be scared shitless to be pedaling something that sat lower than the headlights of a Camry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:55:41 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, recumbents seem to hold the land speed record and people say they are faster on flat land and downhills. (their weakness is going up hills, they weigh more and you cant stand on the pedals).  That makes sense for a lot of reasons, but again, I do not have any real knowledge about them other than what I have learned today. Thus, the purpose of this thread.

....and I promise you, they are much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:58:51 PM EDT
My neighbor is around 80 years old and got one this year.  He rides it up and down our quiet street every night around this time.  Not a good idea in traffic even with a flag, but other than that, have fun!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:01:36 PM EDT
I ride a road bike.  Recumbents have the advantage of decreased wind resistance, which is the largest force a rider needs to overcome except when climbing hills.

There a lot of idiots with licenses to operate motor vehicles.  Your chances of being seen by these idiots are much better on a conventional bike.  Because of that, I would never ride a recumbent bike on a public road.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:13:48 PM EDT
I bought a Bacchetta Giro 20s recumbent just before Christmas this past year and absolutely love it.

It may not be the greatest at climbing, but it can climb...just not quickly. Overall average speed has increased by about 2 mph.

The best part is comfort...nothing hurts. No more wrist pain, no more neck pain, and no more hobbling around after a ride because my ass hurts.  It's like riding a lawn chair.

I got on my road bike a few weeks ago and had to force myself to do 15 miles. I was absolutely miserable!

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:37:57 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

You up on Strava?

Care to compare average speeds?

Always up for a good ride.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:22:00 PM EDT
Quoted:

You up on Strava?

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/dave5339/media/20150826_185351_zpsie892zjz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/dave5339/20150826_185351_zpsie892zjz.jpg</a>

Semper Fi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You up on Strava?

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/dave5339/media/20150826_185351_zpsie892zjz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/dave5339/20150826_185351_zpsie892zjz.jpg</a>

Semper Fi

That thing doesnt look like it would be much, if any, heavier than a normal road bike.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:31:06 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal to ride on sidewalks here. Bikes belong on the roads.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:34:57 PM EDT
Quoted:

That thing doesnt look like it would be much, if any, heavier than a normal road bike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You up on Strava?

Semper Fi

Ever seen one with a full suspension? That'd look fun!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:35:25 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

I always think the same. I will stipulate that I am ignorant of all things bicycle, I just for the life of,me can't see how any evasive action could be taken on one of those. But, Oh well....as long as you keep it the Fuck out of my way... ride on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:36:28 PM EDT
A friend of mine with back issues has over 6,000 miles on an ice brand trike and loves it.

Has required some occasional tweaking and tinkering to get back in tune, but nothing any other bike with 6,000 miles wouldn't need, and nothing major has worn out.

And it folds up easily to fit in a vehicle.

http://www.icetrikes.co/
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:40:45 PM EDT
I see a bunch on the paved trail I run. Look like they would fine for the flats but up hills, city, or sidewalks it could get dicey.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:27:55 PM EDT
what do they weigh? what do they cost? why does no one use them in competition if they are so great and fast? ( may be rules I'm no expert )

not a fan and Ill leave it at that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:30:50 PM EDT
I've ridden them. I find them clumsy. Standard bikes aren't uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:31:17 PM EDT
Seems more comfortable, I don't ride at all... but if I got a good bike I think it would be a recumbant
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:20:04 PM EDT
Quoted:
what do they weigh? what do they cost? why does no one use them in competition if they are so great and fast? ( may be rules I'm no expert )

not a fan and Ill leave it at that.
View Quote

They seem to cost quite a bit more but that is no doubt more a function of the economies of scale than any other factor.

I think they are not allowed in most of the classes of racing that are the most popular. Again, they do hold the land speed record and it appears that for a given course, will average a higher speed.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:55:48 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Speed isn't everything.

Mine's a touring bike and I average about 15 mph or so on my rides. Not terribly fast, but it's good enough for me
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:25 AM EDT
Gale Boetticher was fascinated by them.  Even included tid bits about them in his work notes.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:16:54 AM EDT
Recumbents and especially their owners where the bane of my existance when I worked at a bike shop. The first shop I ever worked at sold a couple of brands of Recumbents: Sun, Rans, and Cycle Genius. Most anyone with one in the general area brought it to us for tune ups and they are a PITA. Most owners spent half of their time trying to convince you to come to the 'bent dark side and the other half really wasting your time.

But, they are really fast with a strong rider that has been riding them for awhile except going uphill. A little old lady riding a 40 lb 3 speed is going to pass many 'bent riders going uphill. They are not legal for bicycle racing, but they hold all of the human powered land speed records.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:42:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:15:41 AM EDT
The kind with the handlebars next to the seat position your arms next to your torso, that gives them pretty high air drag.

Recumbents with the handle bars in front of you are faster.   A front fairing helps too.

Ignore the bike hating tuna fish.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:05:22 AM EDT
Quoted:
Recumbents and especially their owners where the bane of my existance when I worked at a bike shop. The first shop I ever worked at sold a couple of brands of Recumbents: Sun, Rans, and Cycle Genius. Most anyone with one in the general area brought it to us for tune ups and they are a PITA. Most owners spent half of their time trying to convince you to come to the 'bent dark side and the other half really wasting your time.

But, they are really fast with a strong rider that has been riding them for awhile except going uphill. A little old lady riding a 40 lb 3 speed is going to pass many 'bent riders going uphill. They are not legal for bicycle racing, but they hold all of the human powered land speed records.
View Quote

So you're saying I should not bring my "other" bike in for you to work on?

Just kidding!    Having grew up in the bike business and working my way through college in bike shops I do all my own wrenching.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:24:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:01:15 AM EDT
Quoted:
why does no one use them in competition if they are so great and fast? ( may be rules I'm no expert )
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:09:43 AM EDT
Quoted:
I've ridden them. I find them clumsy. Standard bikes aren't uncomfortable.
View Quote

Really?

Then I guess so many riders shake their hands, wiggle their fingers, roll their neck, and stand to give their ass a break are doing it just for something to do, right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:17:59 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't make the speed limit & be a part of the rest of the traffic, you don't belong in the road.  I cannot fathom how people do not understand that simple, basic concept.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:26:55 AM EDT
Quoted:

If you can't make the speed limit & be a part of the rest of the traffic, you don't belong in the road.  I cannot fathom how people do not understand that simple, basic concept.
View Quote

Bikes are exempt from minimum speed limits.  Bikes belong on the road, not the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:31:25 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Thankfully all the cars and trucks maintain the speed limit and are part of the rest of the traffic.........Not!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:32:20 AM EDT
Quoted:

Bikes are exempt from minimum speed limits.  Bikes belong on the road, not the sidewalk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  B/c they have any place at all on the road, or b/c a bunch of whiny libtards who honestly believe all that "global warming/cooling/climate change" hogwash agitated until they got the laws changed?  Bicyclists are glorified pedestrians, and they belong with the rest of the pedestrians.  Make the speed limit, or stay the fuck out of the fucking road.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:35:49 AM EDT
Quoted:

Why?  B/c they have any place at all on the road, or b/c a bunch of whiny libtards who honestly believe all that "global warming/cooling/climate change" hogwash agitated until they got the laws changed?  Bicyclists are glorified pedestrians, and they belong with the rest of the pedestrians.  Make the speed limit, or stay the fuck out of the fucking road.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gentlemen. Start your engines.It's on now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:11:48 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, so much for a thread talking about the advantages of a type of bike.

Then again, it is a new week and we haven't had a "I hate cyclists" thread yet.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:21:16 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely!  Afterall, we must hate and demand that something be banned because we don't like it and think it's different...  

Just like the anti gunners...  Sheesh, some people just hate freedom..

As to the global warming bullshit, not me, I don't ride to "save the environment" I ride to save ME...  Diabetes is a stone cold bitch without exercise.  That said, time to go pick up heavy things and put them down, rinse, repeat.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:28:17 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

A recumbent, particularly with a windscreen, can be fast as hell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:35:28 AM EDT
OP before you drop that kind of cash take some Comfort bikes and Hybrid bikes for a ride too.  Both of those categories have very comfortable upright bikes that cost a fraction of a recumbent.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:15:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:35:35 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rules of the road. Part of state laws governing road use. Bikes go on the road, not the sidewalk, except for interstate highways, where bikes are banned. Been that way since most of us were kids. Don't like it, don't drive on our roads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:07:27 PM EDT
Quoted: I cannot fathom .
View Quote

Probably a feeling you're used to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:15:03 PM EDT
I just knocked out a 20 mile ride with a buddy that rides a Cannondale upright.

By the time we finished, his legs were tired, his hands were numb, and his ass ass was killing him (yeah,I know how that sounds ).

I felt fine and was ready to turn around and do the ride again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:53:07 PM EDT
Quoted:
OP before you drop that kind of cash take some Comfort bikes and Hybrid bikes for a ride too.  Both of those categories have very comfortable upright bikes that cost a fraction of a recumbent.
View Quote

Any specific ideas?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:16:28 PM EDT
Quoted:
Any specific ideas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any specific ideas?

Comfort bikes are the ultimate laid back, relaxed riding bike for someone who says "I don't care if it's slower I want to be more comfortable" within the confines of modern upright bike design.  A number of companies have some version of it.  Here's the SHIFT line of bikes Trek makes that are in that category.

Hybrid bikes are designed for folks who want lots of comfort but don't want to get the last 5% of laid back easy riding comfort at the expense of a little get up and go.
 Whereas Comfort bikes have a super laid back seat position and mega hi-rise handlebars that push the limits of "normal" bikes Hybrids return to a more normal seat position over the cranks with bars not quite as high as a Comfort bike.  Still comfortable just not taking the comfort train into crazy land.  The Trek VERVE line are all Hybrid bikes.

The $660 version of either bike (SHIFT 3 or VERVE 3) gives you double wall rims, rapidfire shifting and better quality bearings and tougher tires than the entry level bikes in both lines.

I'm a Trek dealer so used those for my examples.  They're very good bikes but not the only options by any means.  Check out shops in your area and see who's worth a crap as far as knowledge and helpfulness.  A helpful, knowledgeable shop is far more important than the brand they sell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:06:13 PM EDT
Quoted:

Comfort bikes are the ultimate laid back, relaxed riding bike for someone who says "I don't care if it's slower I want to be more comfortable" within the confines of modern upright bike design.  A number of companies have some version of it.  Here's the SHIFT line of bikes Trek makes that are in that category.

Hybrid bikes are designed for folks who want lots of comfort but don't want to get the last 5% of laid back easy riding comfort at the expense of a little get up and go.
 Whereas Comfort bikes have a super laid back seat position and mega hi-rise handlebars that push the limits of "normal" bikes Hybrids return to a more normal seat position over the cranks with bars not quite as high as a Comfort bike.  Still comfortable just not taking the comfort train into crazy land.  The Trek VERVE line are all Hybrid bikes.

The $660 version of either bike (SHIFT 3 or VERVE 3) gives you double wall rims, rapidfire shifting and better quality bearings and tougher tires than the entry level bikes in both lines.

I'm a Trek dealer so used those for my examples.  They're very good bikes but not the only options by any means.  Check out shops in your area and see who's worth a crap as far as knowledge and helpfulness.  A helpful, knowledgeable shop is far more important than the brand they sell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any specific ideas?

Interesting. I never thought about the physics of bike geometry like that. I certainly learned something.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:12:57 PM EDT
I always thought it was a "Hey Look At Me" kind of thing because the only one I've seen is one this weird prick at work rides.

Never even thought of those as a serious  bike until I opened this thread.  Seems like a good idea but hard to learn to ride after having riding conventional bikes for half a century.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:18:02 PM EDT
My dad has one since his back can't stand normal bikes. They are fun but they tip over really easily on turns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:44:22 PM EDT
Quoted:
I always thought it was a "Hey Look At Me" kind of thing because the only one I've seen is one this weird prick at work rides.

Never even thought of those as a serious  bike until I opened this thread.  Seems like a good idea but hard to learn to ride after having riding conventional bikes for half a century.
View Quote

They are certainly "serious" bikes and in some way better than upright bikes. In my few days of learning about them, I think 80% of their problems are image related and have nothing to do with reality.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:12:53 PM EDT
The thing about recumbents that gives me the willies is that if your foot slips off the pedals, your leg can be dragged backwards under the bike resulting in very severe tendon injuries.  I've read about several of these kinds of injuries on the 'bent forums over the years. They call them leg-suck injuries.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:14:14 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread derail. Time out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.