Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/13/2011 7:21:16 PM EST
How are these people not in Federal prison?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:22:04 PM EST
who the fuck cares?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:23:53 PM EST
I've never seen the show but why should they be?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:25:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Pete545:
who the fuck cares?

Exactly the reason they are not in prison. The prosecutor looked to make sure they were not breaking any tax laws and said it wasn't worth it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:26:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/13/2011 7:26:45 PM EST by phideaux]
my wife is LDS(Mormon). we were watching a bit of one of the first shows. I looked at her(wife) and before I could say anything, she said no damned way can I have more than one wife. I thought I could get a bonus or two out out of this marraige.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:27:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By phideaux:
my wife is LDS(Mormon). we were watching a bit of one of the first shows. I looked at her(wife) and before I could say anything, she said no damned way can I have more than one wife. I thought I could get a bonus or two out out of this marraige.

Why would you want more than one wife?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:27:26 PM EST

who the fuck cares?

First post nails the long and short of it.

For clarification, I am not from Utah originally and have only been here a couple years.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:28:01 PM EST
I thought polygamy was made illegal to punish the Mormons at one time?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:28:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By oldschool63:
my wife is LDS(Mormon). we were watching a bit of one of the first shows. I looked at her(wife) and before I could say anything, she said no damned way can I have more than one wife. I thought I could get a bonus or two out out of this marriage.

Masochist???

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:18 PM EST
who the fuck cares?

Ding. Ding. Ding.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:30:12 PM EST
Statist OP not only wants someone arrested for something that doesn't affect him one bit, but wants the feds to take care of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:30:32 PM EST

Who would want 4 ugly wives? I caught a glimpse of three of those hippos while flipping through the channels today. He can have em.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:15 PM EST

Not even if you were to take on another LDS wife?

Sell it to her as an LDS rescue league.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:32:26 PM EST
Polygamy in the US is commonly associated with massive welfare dependency and perhaps welfare fraud.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:33:27 PM EST
My guess is the marriages are not actual go down to the court house and get a license type of commitment. They are probably a marriage of mutual agreement between the each other.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:33:44 PM EST
A man would have to be out of his mind to have more than one wife.

Why do you think Arab men are pissed off all the time?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:34:09 PM EST
who the fuck cares?

first post and all.

there are too many damn laws on the book. who gives a fuck if a guy wants to have 5 wives or if a woman wants 5 husbands. as long as they are consenting adults the gov't should stay the fuck out of their business.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:34:40 PM EST
Better than reverse-gender polygamists
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:35:20 PM EST

Anybody that wants more than one wife should be locked up.

For being criminally insane.

Having more than wife seems time consuming, expensive and aggravating. I mean, sure you get a little more variety, but at what cost? Your sanity, I would imagine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:36:01 PM EST
Government, at any level, should never be involved in this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:36:43 PM EST
They are all ugly he can marry as many as he wants to. Thin the heard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By cookhj:
who the fuck cares?

first post and all.

there are too many damn laws on the book. who gives a fuck if a guy wants to have 5 wives or if a woman wants 5 husbands. as long as they are consenting adults the gov't should stay the fuck out of their business.

I would agree, but I still say that a man would be crazy to do it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
Polygamy in the US is commonly associated with massive welfare dependency and perhaps welfare fraud.

Having children in the US is commonly associated with massive welfare dependency and perhaps welfare fraud.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:39:13 PM EST

So is it illegal?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:39:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Danner130:

You watch too much "Raising Hope."

It's called polyandry.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:42:07 PM EST
Who would want to drown themselves in estrogen?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:45:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By BJohnson383:

Who would want 4 ugly wives? I caught a glimpse of three of those hippos while flipping through the channels today. He can have em.

He caught on for the fourth and chose in a different direction.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:47:40 PM EST
The libertarian in me agrees with "Who the Fuck Cares?" if they're "normal" living without the corruption/fraud, or abusive cult-like atmosphere.

The pragmatist in me however knows that if polygamy was widespread, it would seriously fuck over civilization as we know it. The cult-towns already shun/expel their "surplus males" on the pretense made up infractions or sins so there's fewer men around that need wives.

Selective sex abortion and infanticide has already caused a pretty big imbalance, numbered in the millions in China, which has already led to an increase in human trafficking for sex-workers and kidnappings of women.

Polygamy is one of many stresses on the Middle Eastern/Muslim male that while far from the ONLY reason, is still a contributor to the area being a basket case, and a ready supply of young men willing to blow them selves up for fresh poon in heaven...

A random handful of people where it "works for them"? Fine.

Widespread? Houston, we have a problem...

Neither the Constitution nor Libertarianism was intended as a suicide pact.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:50:37 PM EST

bonus 'Tang when one wife is being bitchy
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:51:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mattl:
my wife is LDS(Mormon). we were watching a bit of one of the first shows. I looked at her(wife) and before I could say anything, she said no damned way can I have more than one wife. I thought I could get a bonus or two out out of this marriage.

Masochist???

nope....i just like the crazies of which most women are
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:52:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/13/2011 7:56:06 PM EST by phideaux]
Originally Posted By kaos:

Not even if you were to take on another LDS wife?

Sell it to her as an LDS rescue league.

oh damn......that's a good idea. i'll try that on her tomorrow.....she does have a youger sister who will probably be divorced soon.....I could really have "Sister Wives" then
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:52:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:
Originally Posted By Danner130:

You watch too much "Raising Hope."

It's called polyandry.

Good show, but it troubles me that you know the correct term
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:53:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By ArmaNotSoLite:

Anybody that wants more than one wife should be locked up.

For being criminally insane.

Having more than wife seems time consuming, expensive and aggravating. I mean, sure you get a little more variety, but at what cost? Your sanity, I would imagine.

the crazies.......i think they got me long ago
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:54:52 PM EST

I met this African dude once who told me this was common in his country. I was married at the time, and commented something like "One is enough to deal with." He replied: "You've got it wrong. When you have several, they make friends with each other and leave you alone."

Interesting point.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:57:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By MikeSSS:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:00:01 PM EST
My mom retired as a Social Worker who worked for the Utah Prison System.

You would be surprised that Utah was actually pretty good at putting polygamists in prison. That is one of the reasons one of the big sects moved to Texas... Texas, they thought, would let them be. Instead, Texas changed their age of consent from 14 to 16, and began prosecuting them like Utah did.

Yeah, even the "rich" families still commit welfare fraud. The guy, who may be independently wealthy, will still have his "girls" apply for welfare programs as "single" moms...

That, and tax-evasion, and tax-related crimes are crimes committed pretty regularly by polygamist sects...

When I was a backward teenager, I was working in a grocery store when a polygamist woman was arrested for shoplifting with a dozen kids in tow.

Multiple women might *sound* like a good idea...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:00:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:01:30 PM EST
I just wanted to know if it was legal or illegal.

I was under the impression it was illegal hence the OP
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:06:57 PM EST
He just moved down here to Vegas, saw him at a gunshow, Rescue Gunner went over and shot the shit with him, not quite my thing...

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:07:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By CRC:

So is it illegal?

I'm sorry I typed so fast.

Welfare fraud is illegal.

Any more questions?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:09:25 PM EST

It is illegal under Federal law, passed specifically to harass the LDS church. But it is difficult to prove and, as mentioned above, is now used for welfare fraud and as a cover for pedophilia.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:24:44 PM EST
3 of the 4 are fat-asses.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:29:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

Originally Posted By MikeSSS:

There has never been a time in Western civilization, going back at least to Republican Rome, when marriage was not defined and regulated by government. Legal marriage is older than the Church.

If government were out of the marriage business, what would become of the estate of a childless man who died intestate?
Would what we now call the spouse's share go to the last woman person he is proved at trial to have fucked, would it escheat to the state, or would it be left to rot?

If government were out of the marriage business, would termination of a cohabitation result in a division of the parties' property and debts? If so, would a one-night sleepover be entitled to take you to court the next day?

If government is out of the marriage business, isn't the guy you roomed with in college entitled to the same rights as a woman with whom you cohabited for a like period of time? Aren't all three of the people with whom you shared a house in grad school? Or the two steamfitters with whom you shared a motel room when you worked that nuke plant shutdown last summer?

If there is any set of circumstances under which you agree that one person with whom you shared a home should have different rights from those enjoyed by any other person with whom you shared a home, you endorse state-sanctioned marriage.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:32:03 PM EST

Last Will and Testament.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:32:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By Jame_Retief:

It is illegal under Federal law, passed specifically to harass the LDS church. But it is difficult to prove and, as mentioned above, is now used for welfare fraud and as a cover for pedophilia.

I don't think it is illegal under federal law. It is true that the feds conditioned Utah's admission to the Union on the territory's adoption of a state constitutional prohibition of polygamy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:33:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

Last Will and Testament.

The vast majority of people die intestate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:37:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By cookhj:
who the fuck cares?

first post and all.

Ron Paul says the same thing. It's NOT the Governments Biz.

I'm not a Ronbot nor LDS. It's NOT my biz. it's not Uncle sams biz.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:40:43 PM EST

The penalty for two wives is two mother in laws.......
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:44:53 PM EST
I could care less. Only way I'm giving two sh1ts is if there's tax-evasion, fraud, or child abuse. That's when I support the government going after them like a pitbull.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:45:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/13/2011 8:45:39 PM EST by sterling18]

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

The penalty for two wives is two mother in laws.......

Shoot me now if that's the case.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:46:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jame_Retief:

I don't think it is illegal under federal law. It is true that the feds conditioned Utah's admission to the Union on the territory's adoption of a state constitutional prohibition of polygamy.

I had been under the impression it was. Upon looking, it appears that it was the pressure applied by the Federal Government that brought this about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top