Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2005 11:38:56 AM EDT
I've noticed that many orthodox Jews wear an undergarment with tassels on it that often protrude from under their shirt.

Does this undergarment represent a covenant with the Lord?

Note to everyone: This is a sincere question on my part and I would ask for respectful consideration of things considered sacred.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:42:59 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:49:03 AM EDT
i am sure that someone will explain it normally- if you take the number of strings and knots they add up to 613- number of commandments. in the time of the temple we had a die that came form a type of snail called the hilazon- depending on which commentary you go by, either 2 or 1 strings on each corner were died this blue/turquiose color. today we dont have the die anymore, since we lost the tradition of which animal it was- it lives in the sea off the coast of israel, but no one knows which species exactly. the idea is to remind us of gods commandments...
since i am not an orthodox jew i dont wear them, but they are standard issue in the idf- green of course!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:16:29 PM EDT
They are called TziTzis and Jews are commanded in the Torah to wear them.

http://www.beingjewish.com/mitzvos/tzitzis.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:33:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By neshomamench:
They are called TziTzis and Jews are commanded in the Torah to wear them.

http://www.beingjewish.com/mitzvos/tzitzis.html

Wow! Thanks for that link. Very informative.

Also, thank you, ocuppier.

I asked the question because as an active member of the LDS Church (some might consider me orthodox ) I wear an undergarment to remind me of my covenants with the Lord and my responsibilities as an Elder in my church. These undergarments also come in "army green" for LDS servicemen.

I've always been curious about the possible similarities with Jewish clothing.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 2:12:38 PM EDT by ocuppier]
if you are interested in any questions on judaism there is a quite nice lubavitch rabbi in salt lake. my family does alot of business out there with bonnevile (a LDS company) and KSL, so we spend much time there, he is basicaly th eonly jewish presense in slc that we found
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:58:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ocuppier:
if you are interested in any questions on judaism there is a quite nice lubavitch rabbi in salt lake. my family does alot of business out there with sinclair (a LDS company) and KSL, so we spend much time there, he is basicaly th eonly jewish presense in slc that we found

You know Benny Zippel?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:02:26 PM EDT
yup- and all his million kids
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 1:09:11 PM EDT by neshomamench]

yup- and all his million kids

Well, among the Hassidim that is status quo.

While a wonderful man and the salt of the earth, keep in mind that the mission of the Shluchim (Emmisaries of the Lubavitcher Rebbe and that is what Rabbi Zippel is) is to the Jews of a particular region. While they might take the time to point Genitiles in the direction of the answers they seek, that is not what they do. So anyone approaching any Gentile that Approaches a Lubavitcher Rabbi need to understand it is nothing personal if they do not respond favorable to you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:14:01 PM EDT
why do i have a suspicion that you are a habadnik?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:22:51 PM EDT

if you are interested in any questions on judaism there is a quite nice lubavitch rabbi in salt lake. my family does alot of business out there with sinclair (a LDS company) and KSL, so we spend much time there, he is basicaly th eonly jewish presense in slc that we found

Thanks.

BTW, have you had an opportunity to visit the BYU Jeruselem Center on Mount Scopus?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 1:28:40 PM EDT by ocuppier]
yup- beautiful building, but they keep trying to convert me. its about a 15 minute walk from my house.it has one of the most spectacular views in the world.

edit:// i actually plan to be out in the park city area in nov.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT

yup- beautiful building, but they keep trying to convert me. its about a 15 minute walk from my house.it has one of the most spectacular views in the world.

edit:// i actually plan to be out in the park city area in nov.

Trying to convert you?!! I'm of the understanding that proseliting is completely prohibited at the Center. It was part of the agreement that allowed the LDS Church and BYU to build at that location. At least, I know that none of the BYU students are allowed to proselite while visiting Jerusalem.

Sadly, BYU students haven't been able to go for several years due to the Palestinian intifada.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:38 PM EDT

why do i have a suspicion that you are a habadnik?

No, I now daven at a Chabad shuel because of the city I live in but I am not a Lubavitcher. For the most part, If you are a Religious Jew who travels a lot, you are familiar with Chabad. The Chabad houses all over the country are in a sense our secret Embasy Suites. That doesnt make one a Chabadnik though.
Top Top