User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2005 4:39:22 PM EDT
Didn't expect to see this one...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Since theres buttloads of them laying around I think. That or it's just soldiers playing with captured weapons.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the French did sell the Iraqis a lot of guns.

CRC
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell I would grab one also if I found it laying around.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they in combat?

Are they playing with a captured rifle?

I know I'd sure want to try out enemy equipment if I had the chance.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Since theres buttloads of them laying around I think. That or it's just soldiers playing with captured weapons.

+1, just looks like they are plinking to me. The guy with the Binocs probably wouldn't be standing like that if they were actively engaged right then.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
To get a kill with one of those would be especially satisfying.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the unit and availability of weapons.........my former Army CO has a Bulgarian PKM on his HUMMV. Also has a Sig Sauer 2002? - the new Sig handgun contracted out to the US Army in limited numbers..........
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Since 1776...

EDIT:

Looks like they are f-ing around for the camera.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey look i have two Romak's does that make me your enemy?      

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To get a kill with one of those would be especially satisfying.

+1

I agree 100% DOW

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a SVD Dragonov. From the info I hear they are not  that accurate of rifle. Something like 3"-4"  groups or more at 100 yrds.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

web.qx.net/cruze5/Romak/DSC01815.JPG

that isn't a romak he's shooting
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

CRC

Which explains the Romanian rifle quite nicely.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
For confusion of course. Our guns sound different than theirs.  They get use to that, they can tell who is fireing by the sound.  Now what would you think if you shot at someone that you coudn't quite see very well then all the sudden they return fire with a gun that sounds like yours when they are expecting to hear american gunfire? You would start questioning yourself.  Did I just fire at my own guy?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Romak PSL.
www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.htm
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

oh man those are beautiful guns
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Of course he could be standing with the binos during an engagement. I've done it myself. (We were shooting warning shots at some bloke observing us with binos some way away)

If the alternative is just a -16 with iron sights, a captured druganov might be quite useful.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Notice the buttstock, does'nt seem to be any problem with the body armor.(eye relief)
Did they shorten it or is it already that size. Our A2/4's seem to be a little longer, making our guys really stretch their necks to get proper eye relief...maybe it's just me??
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Is the first one in the pic an sbr? Looks short, I like it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#20]
It looks photoshopped-in to me.  Just look at his hand on the the stock, specifically the thumb.  His grip look smore appropriate for a solid stock not the SVD type stock.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Possibly the Iraqi mfg. sniper rifle produced in country........forget the name of it but it is SIMILAR to the Dragunov......David Fortier did a write up on it in Shotgun News a while back.........not exactly like the SVD.......
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Possibly the Iraqi mfg. sniper rifle produced in country........forget the name of it but it is SIMILAR to the Dragunov......David Fortier did a write up on it in Shotgun News a while back.........not exactly like the SVD.......

Oh, well it sure did look like an SVD but thanks for the clearification.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#23]
i know that the USAF had a local  02 guy here build them some AKs for what i have no idea though. But they we  paid for them.

J
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Sometimes in this world of 'badness' it is tactically advantageous to nail the the target with a non allied weapon…

ANdy
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I had the opportunity to go to a debrief with the remnants of my last platoon a few weeks ago after they returned from Iraq.  Things at the unit had changed and the platoon lost all the "extra" weapons the BN CO had allowed us to carry, so a few of the men had acquired under-folder AKs to supplement the long guns and M9s they normally carried.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]
We use them all the time.  Special forces use them to confuse the enemy.  They have a harder time determining where the fire is comming from.  Also, we use them when we claim that we do not have special ops in a foreign country.  We just blame it on locals, ect...  Also may use it if short on ammo and captured weapon is in great condition.  According to my friend who is a LTCol, it happens, but is not the norm.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks fake to me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]
If a unit wanted a Designated Marksman rifle, and couldn't get a M14 or something, it would work.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#29]
From the net.........

Al-Kadesih

Notes: This is the Iraqi version of the SVD – sort of. Though it looks like an SVD at first glance, there are several important differences between the Al-Kadesih and the SVD, enough to treat it as a different rifle. The receiver is made fron stamped steel instead of the milled steel of the SVD, and is not as hardy. The bolt carrier has more in common with the Romanian PSL (which the Iraqis also used), and rotates in the opposite direction from that of the SVD, in addition to having a much larger extractor – it cannot be interchanged with that of the SVD (or PSL). It also is more reliable in sandy conditions. The trigger unit is a copy of the SVD’s, but not an exact copy, and it also cannot be interchanged with that of an SVD. The magazine well is also wider and longer than that of an SVD due to the stamped steel construction – while SVD magazines will fit into an Al-Kadisih, the opposite is not true (and for that matter, PSL magazines will not fit into either one). The iron sights are a combination of an AK-type front sight and a tangent rear sight, and the telescopic sight issued with the Al-Kadisih is a Yugoslavian OM-M76 4x sight instead of the SVD’s PSO-1. (The Al-Kadisih can also use the PSO-1 or its Chinese copy, however.) The gas system of the Al-Kadisih is fixed, rather than adjustable like that of the SVD. The stock is similar to that of the SVD, but also has a rubber recoil pad; unlike the SVD, no cheekpiece is supplied.

Notice that the Al Kedesiah or Al Kadisih and regular SVD are different.......
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
We use them all the time.  Special forces use them to confuse the enemy.  They have a harder time determining where the fire is comming from.  Also, we use them when we claim that we do not have special ops in a foreign country.  We just blame it on locals, ect...  Also may use it if short on ammo and captured weapon is in great condition.  According to my friend who is a LTCol, it happens, but is not the norm.

Vito on a Military Range some years ago shooting away minding his own……

Bunch of 'military' guys turn up and start shooting away…  that's funny, don't sound like SLR's (FAL's)…

Wanders over for a chat…

"AK-47's?… I didn't know they were standard issue"

Bearded 'military' gentleman "They are where we're going"

ANdy
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Romak PSL.

Hate to bust your bubble dude but that is NOT a Romak.  It is similar, but definately not a Romak...

Looks like an SVD variant like a Romak, possible a Chinese...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#32]
It is definitely NOT a Romak...note (1) the handguards, and (2) the space between the magazine and the trigger guard.  I can't find any pics of the Al Kadesih.  IIRC, the Romak is NOT an SVD variant, but an RPK variant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEVERMIND!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Romak PSL.

Hate to bust your bubble dude but that is NOT a Romak.  It is similar, but definately not a Romak...

Thank you
Just look at the hand grip and stock, nope not a romak.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the first one in the pic an sbr? Looks short, I like it.

Thanks!!
Its the paratrooper version, of the romak 3  I got it from centerfiresytems they are about 45min aways from me... I ordered the receiver and a parts kit and had someone build it for me!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

CRC

Really? Where can I get a French Romak Clone?

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Sometimes in this world of 'badness' it is tactically advantageous to nail the the target with a non allied weapon…

ANdy

Yes, but is it a good idea to be photographed doing it?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#38]
We played around with captured weapons during Gulf1. Played with them, then turned 'em in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Didn't expect to see this one...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/He219/temp_display_img_3041.jpg

Did you just miss the last two years of our solders running around and posing for pictures with every variety of AK47, Dragonov, Rpk?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Romak PSL.

Where did i state in that message that he was shooting a Romak???   The thread title says (Since when do we use enemy weapons?)    I said (Hey look i have two Romak's does that make me your enemy ? )  I believe you misunderstood me!  Owning 2 of the rifles i believe i would know the difference a romak and what looks like a NDM-86 rifle, sorry for the confusion
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Notice the buttstock, does'nt seem to be any problem with the body armor.(eye relief)
Did they shorten it or is it already that size. Our A2/4's seem to be a little longer, making our guys really stretch their necks to get proper eye relief...maybe it's just me??

um, yeah.  seems some armed forces actually anticipate their troops will be wearing clothing when shooting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Probably haveing some fun with battle pick-ups.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Most likely the Iraqi SVD clone, though there's a good chance it's and original Soviet rifle. I'm just curious why people flip out when they see a picture like this. Not everything that every unit/soldier does is indicative of a world-wide policy set forth by the Pentagon, or is being done for some super-smart uber-tac reason

Guys find rifle. Guys mess with rifle. Guys shoot rifle. It's what guys who like guns do!

I especially liked Lumpy's pic of the Marine in Fallujah with the Ppsh41 (sp) Soviet sub-gun!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#45]
In Gunner's Palace, one of the US soldiers who trained Iraqi troops wore both an M-16 and an AK when he went out with his troops.

The movie didn't explain why.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#46]
The current Iraqi government is friendly, and has buttloads of Dragunovs to share with their friends. Apparently, our opponents have demonstrated that the Dragunov type rifle can be quite effective.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Id say that they are just playin around. Seein what the enemy weapons are capable of. Besides. To get a kill on an enemy with one of their own weapons would be priceless.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#48]
It isn't exactly unthinkable that a guy over there could get one, practice and use it over there. It is a somewhat accurate rifle and is certainly capable of killing someone out to about 600 yards.

If it works and it is useful, what is the problem?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm sure ammo is plentiful......so why not use their weapons
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top