Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 9:24:42 PM EST
My 3 year old daughter used to LOVE night time. She would love to take naps and go to bed at night. She slept through the night ever since she was 2 months old.

Now, all of a sudden, it's a complete 180. She screams until she makes herself sick and nothing we've done has cured these terrors.

What's odd to me is that nothing has really changed in our household. We're pretty status quo so this change has really baffled my wife and myself.

I read to her, I've tried to be tough and just let her cry but I have to intervene when she starts puking from crying so much.

We are really at our whits end.

Even letting her fall asleep with us and then putting her in her bed, she wakes up later and just starts screaming again.

I don't want to start a habit of her sleeping with us, but it seems that's the only thing she'll be satisfied with.

HELP?????
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:34:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 9:39:38 PM EST by para_frame]
Some standard Q's, does she have a night light in her room? Have you asked her what is wrong?
ETA: did not realize this was the womans forum.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:12:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By para_frame:
Some standard Q's, does she have a night light in her room? Have you asked her what is wrong?
ETA: did not realize this was the womans forum.

Yes, I recently added another and she asked me to turn it off.

She actually hasn't turned 3 yet (on the 29th) so she is unable to fully articulate the problem. She points to her back wall but there isn't even a shadow cast there. There's no characters or posters on her walls and her closet door is closed (and she loves hiding and playing in her closet, FWIW)

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:16:13 PM EST
Is her window facing the street or can car head lights shine in to her room? are you under any flight paths? (I am trying here )
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:48:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By para_frame:
Is her window facing the street or can car head lights shine in to her room? are you under any flight paths? (I am trying here )

Window does face the street but it has since she was born. Flight path is a no go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:57:55 AM EST
You could always try camping out in her room for a few nights. My wife and I have done that several times when our little one has had problems sleeping. When she wakes up and starts to cry, finding out that you're right there may calm her down and back to sleep quickly. Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:39:36 AM EST
my Grandsons both sufferedfrom this around age 2,,sad thing to go thru, but not uncommon nor will it last for ever

pediatrics info on night terrors in children
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:19:37 AM EST
Sounds like night terrors to me, too. Mine have all had them to some degree but my, now, 4 year old had them the most often and most intense. There is not a lot you can do to eliminate them entirely, they eventually outgrow them. We did notice that with our daughter they were much, much worse if she was overly tired. Also, my husband could pick her up and carry her and talk to her, sometimes he would take her in the bathroom and wipe her face gently with a wet washcloth and she would come out of it quicker. She hasn't had one in nearly a year.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:32:35 AM EST
It really doesn't sound like that to me as she calms down if I'm in her room...

And she starts screaming as soon as she goes down. From what I've read night terrors usually happens 1-4 hours after they've been asleep.

She's yelling and screaming as we leave her room or just a few minutes after.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:33:01 AM EST
Have you tried music or white noise at least in her room while she sleeps? My boys actually like to put a video on in their room and fall asleep to that. There is something comforting about it that helps them get to sleep and stay asleep.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:26 AM EST
This worked with my 3.5 y.o.

From John Rosemond.

Good News from California: A mom from the Bay Area writes that after her father passed away last year, her 10-year-old daughter began crying every night at bedtime. The child’s distress escalated quickly. Within weeks, not only had her crying intensified, but she was afraid to go to bed and unable to go to sleep. Following my advice, Jennifer and her husband told their daughter that my peripatetic friend “The Doctor” diagnosed lack of sleep as the problem and prescribed a significantly early bedtime for two weeks. If the child came out of her room or cried at any time during the two weeks, the two weeks would start over. Mom writes: “We only had to tell her what the plan was for it to work! She never cried again and never came out of her room. Eventually she got back to being able to get herself to sleep fairly soon after going to bed.” My favorite therapist is obviously unaware that severe childhood anxiety reactions cannot be cured so quickly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:59:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Max_Power:
This worked with my 3.5 y.o.

From John Rosemond.

Good News from California: A mom from the Bay Area writes that after her father passed away last year, her 10-year-old daughter began crying every night at bedtime. The child’s distress escalated quickly. Within weeks, not only had her crying intensified, but she was afraid to go to bed and unable to go to sleep. Following my advice, Jennifer and her husband told their daughter that my peripatetic friend “The Doctor” diagnosed lack of sleep as the problem and prescribed a significantly early bedtime for two weeks. If the child came out of her room or cried at any time during the two weeks, the two weeks would start over. Mom writes: “We only had to tell her what the plan was for it to work! She never cried again and never came out of her room. Eventually she got back to being able to get herself to sleep fairly soon after going to bed.” My favorite therapist is obviously unaware that severe childhood anxiety reactions cannot be cured so quickly.

So, what you end up with is a kid who's both terrified of going to sleep, and terrified of talking about it? I don't know your kid, but I'm not sure you thought that through all that well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:23 AM EST
1.) Doesn't need naps anymore.
2.) Needs wind down time (puzzles, play do, drawing, etc) before bed
3.) Hungry (needs bedtime snack)
4.) just becoming smarter about her surroundings (therefore more aware of danger, having nightmares, fear of dark, etc.)
5.) experiencing the terrible 3s (as opposed to terrible 2s).
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:49:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 1:53:40 PM EST by para_frame]
It is a long shot but are her episodes around the same time each night? If so, any neighbors start a new job that has the coming or going after her bed time?

ETA: Since you say she is fine when you or your wife is around, it sounds like some sort of separation anxiety.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:24:37 PM EST
You said your daughter points at the back wall of her bedroom when asked what's wrong––have you considered the possibility that she may really see something there? If she's keeping herself awake at night she may not be getting the sleep she needs. She may even have asked you to remove her nightlight thinking that if the lights are out she won't be able to see whatever she's seeing. As a career insomniac, I've hallucinated more than once from lack of sleep. I'd take her to see her doctor before you tear your hair out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:57:20 PM EST
Do you have new people around? Babysitters, a friend, ect?

A friend of mine had a babysitter who's boyfriend thought it was funny to scare him(i.e. dressed up like a dead person(IIRC) and jumped out of the closet.)
He was young and couldn't tell his parents what scared him. His parents couldn't understand why he was suddenly scared of his room, but somehow they figured it out.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:41:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By TechGal26:

A friend of mine had a babysitter who's boyfriend thought it was funny to scare him(i.e. dressed up like a dead person(IIRC) and jumped out of the closet.)
He was young and couldn't tell his parents what scared him. His parents couldn't understand why he was suddenly scared of his room, but somehow they figured it out.

Nope...

Here are 2 things that I have thought of.

She watched Monsters, Inc. for the first time about a week ago however she really enjoyed it. The other thing is that they just started doing road resurfacing right outside our house starting at 0700. The construction started about a week ago as well.

The Monsters, Inc. did cross my mind but she still asks to watch it
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:57:17 PM EST
;et me preface this, as i preface all parenting posts, that i dont have kids

id bet the Monsters, Inc thing has something to do with it––if she asks to watch it, redirect her to another, for the time being

as suggested, id sleep in her room for a few nights, and see if you can get her past it
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:40:39 PM EST
Have you watched Monsters, Inc.? If you have, search your memories for clues.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:15:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By BlackDog714:
Originally Posted By TechGal26:

Nope...

Here are 2 things that I have thought of.

She watched Monsters, Inc. for the first time about a week ago however she really enjoyed it. The other thing is that they just started doing road resurfacing right outside our house starting at 0700. The construction started about a week ago as well.

The Monsters, Inc. did cross my mind but she still asks to watch it

Then Bingo!

She's too young to put together the noises she hears outside are not from the monsters she saw in a the movie. She may have enjoyed it and asked to watch it but she's too little to articulate that she now is worried those monsters are in her room. Add to that the road construction and no wonder the poor girl is freaking out!

Get yourself a can of monster spray and zap those suckers in her room before bed time.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:46:53 AM EST

Get yourself a can of monster spray and zap those suckers in her room before bed time.

I agree and give her her own monster spray... small spray bottle with water and say lemon juice.... monsters hate the smell of lemon
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:18:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Scarlet1546:

I agree and give her her own monster spray... small spray bottle with water and say lemon juice.... monsters hate the smell of lemon

Cute idea!
Top Top