Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 9:45:10 PM EDT
Don't know what made me think of him, but Herb at South Camp popped up in my mind tonight.  Does anyone know if he's still alive?  It's been 10 yrs since I was there, but that guy was a character!!!  Supposedly was a "founding member" of Delta, yadda yadda.  But I was never so sure that all the stories about him were just a rumor.  He had all kinds of crazy shit in his office.  Snipped out articles about Tamir rebels and other small guerilla groups, interesting scars here and there.  Had quite the daily workout routine, too.  Old as dirt, but he was still one tough SOB.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude, its been about 12-13 years for me!  "Rakky" doesnt stand for Rakkasan, does it?  Ah, the memories.  And who would ever have thought that you'd eat so well out of a trailer in the Sinai desert while in the US Army?  By the way, did you get to do any scuba diving over there?  I went back to Egypt for a Bright Star in the late 90's, and no one believes that Ive been to Egypt twice in my life and have yet to take a tour thru the pyramids at Giza.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, Rakkasans.  3rd Battalion.

That food was damned good!!!  Best food I had while I was in.  Hell, I sometimes miss it today.  The spread they had on Thanksgiving and Christmas!  DAYUM!!!

Actually I did dive, at Herb's beach.  Reef was amazing!  Went to Cairo for a week too, got to see the pyramids.  VERY interesting in Cairo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I was there for rotation number 1 in 1982 as a PVT and Herb was there, hangin out at Mushroom beach.  Went back in 1998 as a 1SG and couldn't believe he was still there.  

JD  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some friends that are at N. Camp recently and they said Herb is still kicking.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember that guy getting mad at his bike because "it wasn't being a team player" and he threw it into a dumpster next to the chow hall.

He was kinda screwy, but pretty cool.  I guess you had to be if you lived there.

Tiran, OP-311.  I think I was on rotation #25, Norwegian Colonel Trygve Telefsen was out Task Force commander.  Another cool guy, he walked the perimeter road one night at South Camp and came up to my tower and talked with me for basically my entire three hour shift.

Good times.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was there for rotation number 1 in 1982 as a PVT and Herb was there, hangin out at Mushroom beach.  Went back in 1998 as a 1SG and couldn't believe he was still there.  

JD  

JD, was you with 1-505? (Rotation 1 myself.  A/1-505).
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
sgmgrumpy,

I was in 1-505 from 81-85.  C Co for a couple years then CSC Co Recon Plt.  When I went back to the Sinai in 98 it was totally different, although South Camp hadn't changed much, the area around the camp was all built up with hotels and resorts.  There were a bunch of pictures in the club from rotation 1 including the road march from the airfield with LTC Garrison in the lead with his cast on his leg.  Brought back a lot of great memories.

JD
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My platoon sergeant went to sinai in maybe 93? He met that guy Herb and swore to me he was convinced the guy was none other than D.B. Cooper.

Who knows!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My platoon sergeant went to sinai in maybe 93? He met that guy Herb and swore to me he was convinced the guy was none other than D.B. Cooper.

Who knows!

LOL.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Same here Iron Rakkasan. I was in the "Angels from Hell". How about you. I did the MFO in 1995 with 3/187. Spent four and a half years at Alpha.

Quoted:

That food was damned good!!!  Best food I had while I was in.  Hell, I sometimes miss it today.  The spread they had on Thanksgiving and Christmas!  DAYUM!!!

Actually I did dive, at Herb's beach.  Reef was amazing!  Went to Cairo for a week too, got to see the pyramids.  VERY interesting in Cairo.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Same here Iron Rakkasan. I was in the "Angels from Hell". How about you. I did the MFO in 1995 with 3/187. Spent four and a half years at Alpha.

Quoted:

You didn't happen to moonlight at Gordon's, did ya?

If it's not who I'm thinking of, I still know you know Randy Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Richau at least!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I still have nightmares about Richau. He made CSM in some mech unit. I cant believe you busted me out about working in a jewelry store on the side. Had to pay for these beautiful guns some how.....good to hear from you again.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You didn't happen to moonlight at Gordon's, did ya?

If it's not who I'm thinking of, I still know you know Randy Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Richau at least!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top