Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 9:21:23 PM EDT
Anybody buying?  Selling?  Holding on? Just don't care?  To what degree are you doing any of these?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody buying?  Selling?  Holding on? Just don't care?  To what degree are you doing any of these?
Dont care....got some around somewhere 24 oz or so of silver..no gold......the rest is in ARs, lead and copper....

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It only makes sense to sell it right now or hold on.

In the worst case scenario items with no intrinsic value are worthless.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
When gold gets down to the $1000-$1100 and RBY gets down to $3/share I will start buying shares.

If you are buying gold, you are right.   Keep on buying.  We are fucked, especially if the Democrats somehow hand on to Congress.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm buying Silver Eagles at $21 a piece.  Will I regret it?  I can loose on them because I only buy what I can afford.  I have lost so much in my Roth and mutual funds anyway and I want something I can hold on to.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have about 7 ounces of silver bars and coins that I want to sell. Im probably going to put them up on ebay. Silver is high and 7 ounces wont mean squat if SHTF or the economy tanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have some silver and < 1oz. of gold, but I'm only a broke college student.

The best suggestion I could give you (what I would be doing if I had a better stream of income) is if you are looking to invest, find a local dealer and go in and buy an once of silver a week (or whatever)....  Don't worry about prices because if you've already reached the conclusion that PM's are a good investment, then you are betting on the notion that the prices of PM's will continue to rise.  At this point in the game, there's no "secret" entry price...  just start buying what you can afford to buy.

Head on over to the Business and Investing forums here...  I haven't been over there in awhile, but I'm sure they still have threads going on about gold and silver.

Remember, do your own due diligence before investing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I got into Jewelery recently...

Emeralds, Sapphires, Rubies, Diamonds, Opals, Jade and Lapis.

Did some work related travel and came back with some really nice stuff (and some junk).

Almost everything certified and I've already sold one stone for about what I had into the whole collection.

I know some people here made out like a bandit with PMs but the market is so "locked up" that everyone winds up worshiping at the temple "spot price."  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Im going to start buying silver quarters and 1oz Eagles again when I get back to work this fall. I just bought a house and times are tough for us right now .....but I'll be busy as hell come September.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got into Jewelery recently...

Emeralds, Sapphires, Rubies, Diamonds, Opals, Jade and Lapis.

Did some work related travel and came back with some really nice stuff (and some junk).
Almost everything certified and I've already sold one stone for about what I had into the whole collection.

I know some people here made out like a bandit with PMs but the market is so "locked up" that everyone winds up worshiping at the temple "spot price."  

I shot you an IM.  I may take them off your hands.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
All my money is in rice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
There is always the "free" or "face value" way of hunting for silver. Get a few hundred bucks worth of half-dollars or quarters from the bank (Halves are better than quarters because they are not as circulated as dimes and quarters). Check for anything '64 and prior ('71 to '65 Halves are part silver too).

You can also go to coin dealers and ask for junk coins (ones that have been damaged and lose their collective value.)

Not to mention, you should be scanning your change for these coins ('64 prior dimes and quarters) as well as pre-'82 pennies (worth .017 a piece- pure copper)

If you want to invest and are willing to buy check out AMPEX, they seem to have good prices with very little mark-up above market value.

We have started to buy small amounts when we get the chance, about an ounce or two a month max.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is always the "free" or "face value" way of hunting for silver. Get a few hundred bucks worth of half-dollars or quarters from the bank (Halves are better than quarters because they are not as circulated as dimes and quarters). Check for anything '64 and prior ('71 to '65 Halves are part silver too).

You can also go to coin dealers and ask for junk coins (ones that have been damaged and lose their collective value.)

Not to mention, you should be scanning your change for these coins ('64 prior dimes and quarters) as well as pre-'82 pennies (worth .017 a piece- pure copper)

If you want to invest and are willing to buy check out AMPEX, they seem to have good prices with very little mark-up above market value.

We have started to buy small amounts when we get the chance, about an ounce or two a month max.

Ive been checking my quarters for several years now and have no found 1 pre 64 quarter. I did find a nickle worth 15 cents.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive been checking my quarters for several years now and have no found 1 pre 64 quarter. I did find a nickle worth 15 cents.

I have found a couple of quarters.  I'll try that out though.  APMEX looks fair but I find better deals locally.
What did Silver Eagles cost over the last 5 years or so when silver wasn't so high.  I'm new at this.  Not a good time to be new at this though
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like searching dimes...  have found 3 pre 64's so far this year just looking through my meter money.

What year is your nickel?  I'm confused by the 15 cents.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It only makes sense to sell it right now or hold on.

In the worst case scenario items with no intrinsic value are worthless.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I will answer this with a question:

1 oz of gold = $1200

1 Colt LE6920 = $1200

Which would you rather start collecting?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep waiting for a pull back... Silver market hasn't moved much... I'm a buyer below 17. (shouldn't be scared to buy now...)  Gold market has showed some strength in my opinion. It has stayed within a nice range for quiet awhile.  I'm not buying or selling. I'm a buyer below $1000. (if it ever gets there anytime soon)

The PM market seems just weird.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I sold my handful of gold eagles a month or so back at $1250

Im  not buying again till sub 900
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like searching dimes...  have found 3 pre 64's so far this year just looking through my meter money.

Probably a war nickel. '42-45

I typically find a quarter or two yearly, and dimes are about the same.

I plan on trying the .50 method as I get some time. Worse case, you have the same thing you started with.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will answer this with a question:

1 oz of gold = $1200

1 Colt LE6920 = $1200

Which would you rather start collecting?

Great point but I've got plenty of those things.  Also I stick with silver.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I plan on trying the .50 method as I get some time. Worse case, you have the same thing you started with.

That's what I was wondering about though...  if it was a war nickel, it would have a silver value of just under $1 at current spot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was wondering about though...  if it was a war nickel, it would have a silver value of just under $1 at current spot.

Could be just a collective value of a rare coin.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Could be just a collective value of a rare coin.

I think you're right
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not sure. I put it on my dresser and it dissapeared. I think my son may have put it on his piggy bank. Im not sure of the .15 cents part, but it was worth more than a nickle but not enough to make me jump for joy.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a buyer of silver when price is in the 17's and apmex has a special.  I got a bunch of the silver sunshine coins when they had a special going on them and the price dropped a bit.

Trying to slowly accumulate a meaningful amount.

Wish I had gotten in on it when it was $5/oz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top