Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 6:27:13 AM EDT
Bought 1000 rounds of the Rissian Silver Bear ammo.  Yeah it was cheap, and there is reason why it's cheap.

I was lucky to get three consecutive rounds to fire thru my DPMS.

Warning, stay away from this ammo.  On the bright side, I do have a SAR3, and am hoping this gun will burn thru with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
So, your saying its as good as Wolf ammo?[BD]

(edited to say: Maybe we should stay away from ammo named after animals)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Wolf runs through my guns with no problem. Silver Bear will not feed more than 2 consectutive rounds and has gotten stuck in the chamber. I will no longer use it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Silver bear reportedly has very hard primers.  Have you done the "15 minute" trigger job or anything else that would give you light hits?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Silver bear reportedly has very hard primers.  Have you done the "15 minute" trigger job or anything else that would give you light hits?
View Quote

They would fire in my gun if  I could get them to chamber.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]
i shot about 500 rounds through my SKS. i didn't have any problems with it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have found that Russian ammo works well in Russian guns. Otherwise it's sorta like what Forrest Gump said, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get". How true.

The Silver Bear ammo was designed to look like premium quality American ammo with nickel cases. However, even so that's steel cases underneath that. I could put a hat over a pile of shit to cover it, but it's still shit. Ammo is no different.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bought 1000 rounds of the Rissian Silver Bear ammo.  Yeah it was cheap, and there is reason why it's cheap.

I was lucky to get three consecutive rounds to fire thru my DPMS.

Warning, stay away from this ammo.  On the bright side, I do have a SAR3, and am hoping this gun will burn thru with no problems.
View Quote

I had the same results- I bought a box of 20. I'll never buy it again- the flat noses of the bullets kept getting jammed on the feed ramp of my Armalite, which will otherwise fire everything, incl. Wolf, Barnaul, milsurp, all other no-name ammo w/ no probs, incl. HP from other manuf's. I put it in different mags, too, still the same problem. No thanks.

Another discussion:
[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=160263[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had the same results- I bought a box of 20. I'll never buy it again- the flat noses of the bullets kept getting jammed on the feed ramp of my Armalite, which will otherwise fire everything, incl. Wolf, Barnaul, milsurp, all other no-name ammo w/ no probs, incl. HP from other manuf's. I put it in different mags, too, still the same problem. No thanks.

View Quote

My problem exactly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a box of Silver Bear .380 hollow points, and have shot about half of it (25 rounds or so) without a SINGLE problem.  

Maybe it's just the rifle ammo?  Maybe it's just YOU?  Maybe it's your RIFLE?  

Sure, it's inexpensive, but you do get what you pay for.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a box of Silver Bear .380 hollow points, and have shot about half of it (25 rounds or so) without a SINGLE problem.  

Maybe it's just the rifle ammo?  
View Quote

Maybe it is just the .223 Rem ammo.  I posted a question in the Ammo forum about using their .40 S&W, but I never saw a response.

SAR-1 and 2 will probably eat anything pointy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]I have found that Russian ammo works well in Russian guns.[/b]

those $250 commie guns eat it all day long without a problem.

the funny thing is...silver bear and brown bear [B]IS[/b] wolf, barnaul, polyany, novosibirk and ulyhovsk ammo that has been commericially boxed.

that's right...tula cartridge works, jsc machine building plant, etc.. all russian ammo is pretty much the same, regardless of the brand name (case finishes vary according to market and bullet design per application). the "nipple" bullet is supposed to increase accuracy, and this has been reported by some users.

[b]Maybe it's your RIFLE?[/b]

check your hammer and hammer spring. you may have and investment cast hammer that is lighter than a mil-spec hammer...and your spring may be too weak to cause reliable ignition when coupled with the lighter mass of the hammer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmm, the "nipple effect" 7.62 x 39 version has been getting rave reviews – General concensus is that it's more accurate than Wolf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top