Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2018 2:20:00 AM EDT
Keeping it light here.
I had kind of narrow food tastes when I hired on. There were things I would not eat until I got on the job. The biggest one was tuna. You know how it is in the fire service. Don't like it? Tough shit. Especially when you are brand new and just show up happy to have a job.

So, what was it for you?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Was the same for me with tuna. If they were having it, i was out on that meal. Even when i was a Lt, i didn’t care if they wanted to have that shit, but if they were having it, i was out on that meal and they knew that before they even went to the store
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a volunteer here ;)  So we don't have meals in that aspect.

Out on fires though.  On long grass fires (out for 36-48+ hours in a truck), you'll eat damn near anything after going through what you brought with you  Though usually the ranchwives and the like make some damn good sandwhiches.

I hate coffee, can't stand it.  But I've drank it three times and loved it in those instances.  Two were housefires when it was 10-15 degrees below zero.  Wet turnout gear, chipping stuff loose from the ground to move it.....damn that coffee was good then.   Refused it later when I was warmed up
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a volunteer here ;)  So we don't have meals in that aspect.

Out on fires though.  On long grass fires (out for 36-48+ hours in a truck), you'll eat damn near anything after going through what you brought with you  Though usually the ranchwives and the like make some damn good sandwhiches.

I hate coffee, can't stand it.  But I've drank it three times and loved it in those instances.  Two were housefires when it was 10-15 degrees below zero.  Wet turnout gear, chipping stuff loose from the ground to move it.....damn that coffee was good then.   Refused it later when I was warmed up
View Quote
Yeah, our department L.A. County Fire is huge and mostly self contained. What they brought out on large fires would be gross if you sat to eat it at a table but that stuff was 4 star gourmet when you are out all day and will be out all night.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was the same for me with tuna. If they were having it, i was out on that meal. Even when i was a Lt, i didn’t care if they wanted to have that shit, but if they were having it, i was out on that meal and they knew that before they even went to the store
View Quote
I ate what was put in front as a boot. Even just a little, loaded up on fruit or salad or whatever was on the table. I never got over Eggs Benedict. Looked like puke on a plate. I would just have eggs without the sauce so that was easy enough. I did try to cook around things guys couldn't couldn't get past. I did tuna sandwiches one day but I was set up by the crew to see if the captain that day would tear my head off. He didn't but I got the stinkeye and the crew thought it was hilarious. he knew what was going on though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Being the captain gives veto power, No Brussell Sprouts!!!!

Back when new, it was the old guys that ate meat and potatoes, that was about it.  I worked hard expanding thier tastes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Never let the guys know your weekneass, never!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Not me but I got to be a part of it a few times.  Guy got hired on, they had the usual rundown and his Lt asked about what food he didn’t like, told them there was nothing he didn’t like, he’d eat anything, his Lt clarified, said “this is your one and only chance, this isn’t to mess with you, speak now or deal with it”.  Well he still kept with the same line and about 2 shifts later we were cooking chicken alfredo, one of the guys had bought a mushrooms but we couldn’t find it when we got back to the station.  We looked all over for it and finally when putting dishes away after lunch we found them stuck behind some dishes in the cabinet.  Turns out he hates mushrooms, well too bad for him, we had mushrooms in literally EVERY meal for probably 2 months.  Mushrooms in tacos, salad, you name it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not me but I got to be a part of it a few times.  Guy got hired on, they had the usual rundown and his Lt asked about what food he didn’t like, told them there was nothing he didn’t like, he’d eat anything, his Lt clarified, said “this is your one and only chance, this isn’t to mess with you, speak now or deal with it”.  Well he still kept with the same line and about 2 shifts later we were cooking chicken alfredo, one of the guys had bought a mushrooms but we couldn’t find it when we got back to the station.  We looked all over for it and finally when putting dishes away after lunch we found them stuck behind some dishes in the cabinet.  Turns out he hates mushrooms, well too bad for him, we had mushrooms in literally EVERY meal for probably 2 months.  Mushrooms in tacos, salad, you name it.
View Quote
I transferred in to a new station and there was taco salad for lunch. And the next shift. And the next shift. And so on. After about 5-6 shifts my turn came along and I asked what was going on. Turns out one of the guys aid he could eat taco salad every day so the crew made it every day to see how long he could take it. It went on for a while because he was not going to take it back and then put up with that shit for another month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top