Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/10/2005 9:20:01 PM EDT
This game kicks ass.
When you're up on the bridge and the sun is setting and the ocean is calm it really feels like you're there.
It's a lot like how I remember Aces of the Deep, although with much more detail graphically.
Tonight was fun, I finally encountered a lot of merchants in calm enough sees for it to allow me to man the deck gun. I love using the deck gun. Almost took out a destroyer, but it ended up cutting across my bow, literally. It actually ran into me at about a 90 degree angle just in front of the deck gun. Took me out.
Definitely need a good video card, and a lot of system ram and cpu power though. One visual detail that's nice also slows it down while it's displaying. When you're using the periscope waves will sometimes come over the lens, which results in a realistic looking blurriness as the water drains away. I've also had waves come up over the bridge. That happens a lot north of England in winter.
I haven't tried doing all the torpedo computer settings manually yet, but the game allows it if you really want the realism.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:11:11 AM EDT
I have this game. To me it's freaking hard! Maybe I'm just dumb
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:57:40 AM EDT
I have it.................

In the convoy attack trianing mission I got 75,000 tons, including the auxilary cruiser and 2 destroyers.

I pumped 2 topedoes, AP, HE, and star shells (I ran out of other ammo) into a T3 tanker, and couln't get it to sink, even with waves breaking on it's deck. Then I tried ramming it, and ended up partially on the deck................. still no sinkee.

Early war torpedoes require a good 90 degree shot to set them off. Later torpedoes are much more forgiving, including running them under the ship and letting the magnetic trigger set them off.

It's a pretty cool game.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 8:59:30 AM EDT

It's a lot like how I remember Aces of the Deep, although with much more detail graphically.

Aces of the Deep was one of those games that I really still to this day want to play over and over.

Is this game played from the US or German side or both?

I particularly enjoy playing from the German POV.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:07:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

Aces of the Deep was one of those games that I really still to this day want to play over and over.

German with type II, VII, IX, and XXI boats to chose from, including variations by year.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:25:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

German with type II, VII, IX, and XXI boats to chose from, including variations by year.

Woo Hoo! Found my next purchase!
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:44:13 AM EDT
is this for da puter or on ps2/xbox?
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:24:27 PM EDT
computer

yeah, needing an almost 90 degree shot for the inpact triggers to work kind of sucks.
I only have the realism setting at around 45%
I turned off realistic sinking times and the settings that make you have to manually calculate distance and angle on the bow
I got a solid hit just under a ship using the magnetic detonator the other day. broke the ship in half after a couple secondary explosions.
Shooting cargo containers off the cargo ships with the deck gun is fun too
I found a trick in the readme file. When using the time compression go over 32x when ever possible. The crew doesn't fatigue over 32x, which explains how I was able to go from germany past england at 1024x and not have any fatigue and then after less than 24 hours at about 16x doing a zig zag in my patrol area I had crew getting fatigued like crazy
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:32:38 PM EDT
Ahh. Morning just north of England

We're under attack. Man the flak gun.

Tug boat got in my way, deck gun took him out.

Small merchant makes for nice target practice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:40:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:
Ahh. Morning just north of England
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/sunrisenorthofengland.jpg

We're under attack. Man the flak gun.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/mantheflakgun.jpg

Tug boat got in my way, deck gun took him out.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/deadtug.jpg

Small merchant makes for nice target practice.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/smallmerchantunderfire.jpg

Dang that is beautiful. What kind of Vid Card you running?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:52:53 PM EDT
Geforce 6200 128MB AGP
I think PNY made it
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:41:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2005 6:46:21 AM EDT by Galland]
Have they released an edition for regular CD drives yet? I don't own a DVD drive and I'm not buying one.

I enjoyed Silent Service II and Aces of the Deep, though I think AOD could have been a lot better. Microprose forced Dynamix to shove it out the door before it was truly ready. I have the (apparently) ultra-rare Type XXI add-on for the MS-DOS edition of AOD around here somewhere. I've tried to run the game in XP many times. I can get the menu system to work, but there is no sound and going into the actual game engine locks up the PC.

If I remember correctly AOD was the last war sim Dynamix released before they were shut down. I might be wrong about that.

Galland

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:46:41 AM EDT
I too think AOD was Dynamix's last war game. If I hadn't gotten Silent Hunter 3 I would have fooled around with Dosbox and tried getting AOD to run through it
dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

all I can find is a dvd version
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:29:09 AM EDT

I have the (apparently) ultra-rare Type XXI add-on for the MS-DOS edition of AOD around here somewhere.

The add on is ultra rare? Crap, wish I knew where I had it at. In my moves after high school, I lost most of my DOS game disks. Damn how I wish I could find those things. I have lots of good games
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:51:47 PM EDT
questionable legality, but since it's not for sale anymore the copyright owner isn;t going to lose any money
www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

I recently burned all my install floppies for old dos games onto a cd
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:55:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 2:39:02 PM EDT by sharky30]

I decided to try to sail into a british port city tonight. didn't make, got intercepted by 5 or 6 british seaplanes
shot one down, and it crashed into me destroying my u boat
didn't hit print screen quite soon enough and the view had gone back into the control room due to water coming up over the hull and forcing my gun crews below deck. but the little action cam window shows the plane after it bounced off my uboat
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 12:15:23 PM EDT by purplecheese]
I read an article about there being some rather nasty bugs in SH3... True at all sharky?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:15:08 PM EDT
the only bug I've noticed with the unpatched version (I can't get the patches to work, but I think that's because I'm using a no-cd exe as I hate having to have discs in the drive) are 2 things, not sure if one is an actual bug
1) when in the screen to outfit the torpedo load and other equipment, if you go to the help screen that shows the date for when various stuff becomes available and then back to the torpedo screen the number and types of available torpedos change, although the loadout on the sub doesn't
2) the snorkel is now available, but it won't let me install it. A search on the UBI Soft forums shows some others having the same issue. I just edited one of the config files to get past that

the patches show a lot of fixes, but nothing that seems critical. if anything most of the fixes look to be more along the lines of modifying gameplay than actually fixing problems
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:52:24 AM EDT
Nice! Thanks for the info. Will be my next purchase!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:35:21 AM EDT
one thing's for sure, good thing it can compress time up to 1024x
my current patrol has me going from france down to the tip of south africa
705 hours to get to my patrol area
going at 8 knots I barely have the fuel to make it there and back
Top Top