Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 7:37:44 AM EDT
I have a friend with a 45 acre spread in Blanco County, TX. He has a nice safe place to shoot from his porch, but is concerned about the noise driving away game and irritating the neighbors. What are the laws regarding shooting with a can on your rifle in TX? Can you hunt with a can legally?

If so, any suggestions on where to buy suppressors/silencers legally in the Austin/San Antonio area?

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
There are no silencers.  There are only suppressors.  "Silencer" is a Hollywood BS term.

FWIW, MS Game and Fish regulations don't mention anything about NFA firearms being used for hunting.

I'd be willing to bet TX is the same way.  

Most likely, there are so few people that would use NFA weapons for hunting, they haven't even bothered regulating it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#2]
This is one of my favorites!

They say its good for 93 db but I have seen it run as high as 99 db in a worn out application.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I was wrong.

I went to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. website and it says you can't use a suppressed firearm.

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/means/

MS actually has NO firearm restrictions for game hunting except for Turkeys, Migratory birds, and for nighttime hunting.

So technically, I could use a Ma Deuce for deer...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Man I had a shoot pit in 5 acres!  It was hard to see from the road, so DPS and the Sheriff's would drive right by and never wised up.

Pissed the neighbors off something awful.  Full-auto gunfire makes dogs bark aplenty.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]
In Texas, you can hunt non-game animals with any legal firearm, so if your silencer is legally purchased, it is legal to hunt with it. I suggest you post your where to buy question in the Texas forum, there are several FFLs in Austin/SA area who can help you out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are no silencers.  There are only suppressors.  "Silencer" is a Hollywood BS term.

FWIW, MS Game and Fish regulations don't mention anything about NFA firearms being used for hunting.

I'd be willing to bet TX is the same way.  

Most likely, there are so few people that would use NFA weapons for hunting, they haven't even bothered regulating it.

Uhm... Hiram Maxim would say you are wrong.

www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/tcn/2002/jun/jun02p6.htm

www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/tcn/2002/jun/jun02p2.gif

TRG

Very interesting.

I stand corrected.

Is it really SILENT, though?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a friend with a 45 acre spread in Blanco County, TX. He has a nice safe place to shoot from his porch, but is concerned about the noise driving away game and irritating the neighbors.

It might irritate the neighbors, but I've never seen a white tail driven away by gunfire in the area (except when they're the recipient, of course). I've been watching deer under a feeder, and as shots go off at another feeder 200yds away, they just look up and then go back to their feeding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top