Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2002 6:40:04 PM EDT
Anybody else go see this? I went today, and I thought it was awesome. Excellent movie. I want to go see it again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]home.pacbell.net/jymd/images/Deb%20Jym%20crop%20circle.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I kept thinking "If only Mel Gibson had a shotgun" or any firearm for that matter.  They wouldn't have to run and hide like they did.
View Quote

Saw Signs tonight and I kept saying the same thing... fun movie tho...
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No GUNS?!  [shock]

Forget it.
I'm waitin' for the video.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I kept thinking "If only Mel Gibson had a shotgun" or any firearm for that matter.  They wouldn't have to run and hide like they did.
View Quote

I was thinking the same think as well. Still a good movie otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is that anything that can't be explained by "conventional science" is automatically labeled as bad or evil? I mean come on. Why is it so hard to understand that there are those in the spirit world who attempt to warn us of our upcoming doom?

According to current societal beliefs, NOTHING happens after death, so life has no meaning, so earn as much as you can before you die. So of course anything that might disturb the mandate to live, eat, and produce more for the global plantation owners must be vilified.

"The means by which we live have outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone else thinking that women are inferior to men after watching this movie?

Atleast men can aim their alien killer! [(:|)][heavy]

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
This movie sucked.

I HATED IT! It pissed me off to no end.

First, it was a church sermon posing as a movie. The message being "When God horribly kills a family member in a violent way, it is actually all part of a divine plan that will save you later." As if God couldn't really say "Hey asshole, kill the Martian with a fvcking bat WITHOUT violently killing your family members."

It was even worse than the bastardization of H.G. Wells War of the Worlds, which was re written to include a "God in his infinite wisdom" morality tale.

Second, what kind of asshole lives in the middle of NOWHERE without a gun? Christ they had a pickaxe and rather than employ it as a weapon they used it to bar a door. Remember the stupid premise of "Panic Room"? Well thats what these turds did. "Shit, martians (bad guys), quick run and hide and lock yourslef in and you'll be OK." Typical bullshit.

On a farm with wide open spaces in every direction, I'd have had a Martian piles going in every direction 400 yards away. How Mel Gibson went from a movie like "The Patriot" where he tossed his kids rifles to a movie like this where they use a pick axe as a door stop is beyond me. Also with all hte adavanced warning, they didn't band together with neighbors for common defense/assistance. What kind of shit is that?

This is especially annoying given the Martian secret weapon. Christ you could taken them out first with Super Soakers. These were the pussiest alien invaders I have seen in a LONG TIME.

And another thing. They left the dog tied up. I know the first dog went nuts but they could have given the dog the run of the barn or something. And the first dog being so spooked he turned on the kids goes against everything I have ever seen about family dogs under duress. In the real world they'd have had two more first lines of defense/home security systems. But I guess the dogs could have been perceived as a weapon and had to be neutralized.

Bottom line in this movies is:

Don't fight back, run and hide.

Don't arm yourself.

It's all part of Gods plan. Just sit tight and he will take care of everything. But he may have to kill some of your family to help you understand.

This crap pisses me off. Can ya tell?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I also saw the movie today - liked it alot! It's good to see a movie that is kinda spooky, funny & religious without going over the top. Somtimes less is more.
I also keep thinking when is Mel gonna get the shotgun!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This movie sucked.
I HATED IT! It pissed me off to no end.

This crap pisses me off. Can ya tell?
View Quote

Yeah.  You think too much.  It was just a fun scary movie.  ALL MOVIES CALL FOR SOME SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF.  Who cares?  It was a fun, scary movie, that's all.  As for the (tivial amount of) "moralizing," that may just be some small piece of conscience speaking to you.  Just ignore it, you'll be just fine.  Now take a chill-pill and go back to bed.  [:)]
[edited for typo]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't seen Signs but it sounds like Blair Witch in the gun respect.  "Okay, we're going to check out some killer witch.  Camera? Check.  Map? Check. Granola snacks? Check.  Dumbass sidekicks? Check.  Gun?  Hey, who put gun on the checklist?  That's ridiculous,we don't need no stupid gun.  It's just a silly killer witch."  

Anyone here would have turned the Blair Witch into the Perforated Witch inside of 15 minutes.  Yeah, pile up your little trinkets, bitch.  Oops, you just stumbled into the spontaneous Maryland AR Shoot!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep and your alien clickety klick ass just walked onto the Hun farm On the banks of the beautiful Pease river............byeeee
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why is that anything that can't be explained by "conventional science" is automatically labeled as bad or evil? I mean come on. Why is it so hard to understand that there are those in the spirit world who attempt to warn us of our upcoming doom?
View Quote

What the hell does that have to do with the movie "Signs?"  Or are you on crack again?

According to current societal beliefs, NOTHING happens after death, so life has no meaning
View Quote

That does not follow.  But you've already shown logic isn't your strong point.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Um, Mel Gibson's character is a priest.   (Lutheran?)  I'm not surprised that he didn't have a firearm.  In fact, had he not been, I too would have been incredulous that a farmer didn't have some kind of firearm.  Plus, he had two small kids.  

Remember, only about 40% of all households have a gun.  

Besides, if they HAD a gun, the story wouldn't have progressed, would it?

I liked the philosophy part, and I'm one of those who believes in coincidence.

Pretty good flick, though I liked [i]Unbreakable[/i] better, and [i]Sixth Sense[/i] a LOT better.

Shaymalan may be the next Hitchcock.  And he's only 32.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Um, Mel Gibson's character is a priest. (Lutheran?) I'm not surprised that he didn't have a firearm.
View Quote

Hell, man, I don't know about Lutherans over your way but all them sumbitches over here pack heat.  Well, maybe that is an exaggeration but I would hazard to say most of them own one or two, especially the country church ones.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really, I mean you have an unknown number of intruders and a shotgun with lets say 9 shells...plus some more shells.  Sometimes hiding is a better way of dealing with things (not saying they shouldn't have had a shotgun in the basement in case they broke through though).  Plus the movie wouldn't have gone the way it did...

KBaker->Think I heard Mel say in an interview it was Episcopalian.  Also, I liked Unbreakable more than Sixth Sense...I loved how he made it feel and look like a comic book.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um, Mel Gibson's character is a priest. (Lutheran?) I'm not surprised that he didn't have a firearm.
View Quote

Hell, man, I don't know about Lutherans over your way but all them sumbitches over here pack heat.  Well, maybe that is an exaggeration but I would hazard to say most of them own one or two, especially the country church ones.
View Quote

Ok i'm hoping one of yall can clear this up for me. I don't know much about different religions but I always assumed Priests can't have kids? This guy had two. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok i'm hoping one of yall can clear this up for me. I don't know much about different religions but I always assumed Priests can't have kids? This guy had two. What am I missing?
View Quote

Catholic priests can't have kids (or a better way of saying it they aren't supposed to, obviously it isn't always followed...some rule they decided upon during the Reformation or something)...I am unsure of any non-Catholic Christian religions doesn't allow the Ministers/Reverends to not have kids.  I know of none, but there are lots so there probably is a few...

Shoot, me being born again, we're taught that we're all a Priest (don't ask me where it is in the Bible because I can't remember, if you really want to know I'll try to find the passage though) since we're all learning and teaching the Bible.  However, the minister of course knows more than we do, but we're encouraged to read and learn and teach whenever and wherever you can...
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All this crap because some college kids in England like to go make designs in fields at night.

Some people will believe anything.

-Troy
View Quote

That's just what I was thinking!!

It looks like a fun movie (I'll wait for the DVD). That doesn't mean I believe the crop circles are anything more than the work of a bunch of under worked, bored, crafty tricksters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
ALL MOVIES CALL FOR SOME SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF.  Who cares?  It was a fun, scary movie, that's all.  As for the (tivial amount of) "moralizing," that may just be some small piece of conscience speaking to you.  Just ignore it, you'll be just fine.  Now take a chill-pill and go back to bed.  [:)]
[edited for typo]
View Quote

Yo, Carbine,

The problem is when the suspension doesn't work.  I can not believe that these aliens are capable of star travel, and aggresive as hell, yet, they are too stupid to make a raincoat or have any tools with which to open a door.  And they brought no weapons to  an invasion?  This is a terrible movie regardless of any messages contained.  Simply pathetic SciFi.  Sort of like Waterworld where throughout the entire movie you keep asking someone to try "a" reality with some logic.

Frankly, someone in Hwood wanted to make a "non-gun" movie and damn the convolutions in the plot.

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife and I got an evening without children so we decided to go see this movie last night.  We both laughed so hard at some of the scenes.  I hardly ever enjoy movies that are intended to be funny, it is always those serious movies with the subtle humor that I find entertaining.  I liked this movie, probably because I thought it would be incredibly hokey, but it was a riot.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The problem is when the suspension doesn't work.  I can not believe that these aliens are capable of star travel, and aggresive as hell, yet, they are too stupid to make a raincoat or have any tools with which to open a door.  And they brought no weapons to  an invasion?  This is a terrible movie regardless of any messages contained.  Simply pathetic SciFi.  Sort of like Waterworld where throughout the entire movie you keep asking someone to try "a" reality with some logic.

Frankly, someone in Hwood wanted to make a "non-gun" movie and damn the convolutions in the plot.
View Quote
 I don't think Shaymalan "wanted to make a non-gun movie," though I tend to agree with you that the thought than an alien species could travel interstellar distances and then not be able to get out of a barricaded pantry strains incredulity.  That's one of the reasons I ranked it below [i]Unbreakable[/i].  Still and all, I liked the flick.  It was well done, and enjoyable.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember that kid reading the book?  The reason why they went hand to hand was because if they used weapons the war/battle would've gone nuclear...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top