Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/10/2013 5:57:45 AM EST
Finally pulling the trigger, Meet date is March 22nd.

Several weeks into a true strength cycle, current maxes are at or above:
Squat: 375
Bench: 290
Deadlift: 395
Total: 1060

Current bodyweight: 214.

Anyone who's competed before, did you make an attempt to drop any weight? I'd love to go in sub-198, but I don't want to sacrifice any strength gains.

My goal is to bring my total closer 1250-1300 by the time of the meet.

Any advice or recommendations from previous competitors?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:02:26 AM EST
I'm old and quit competing almost 10 years ago but my advice is as follows:

~Don't cut weight. If anything add weight to get up to the 220's. Cutting weight can make you weaker (not necessarily but why chance it for your first meet?).
~Take a cooler full of food with you. These things tend to be all day affairs and you may or may not even be able to get food at the venue. If you are it won't likely be the best food for powering you through a day of lifting.
~ if you are lifting in gear (suit, bench shirt) start now so you are more used to it by meet time. Have a helper that knows how to get you in and out of said gear and take them with you on meet day.
~Make a list of things you might need and check it twice. Chalk, tape, belt, capsaizin creme, blah, blah...
~Open light. It's trite but the opener should really be a last warmup. Keeps you from bombing and builds confidence. Nobody remembers your opener at the end so don't let your ego get in the way.
~Get a good night's sleep before meet. It makes a difference
~If you are local, head out plenty early but be prepared to wait. These things never run on time in my experience. Keep this in mind while warming up as well, you don't want to sit around long enough to get cold.
~ Run a practice meet in the gym about a month out. Do everything like it was a meet and maybe just hit your openers. You probably don't need to do this everytime but good idea for first meet.
~don't change anything at meet. The meet is not the time to decide to switch from conventional to sumo on deads for example
~ Have fun. Hell, if you don't have fun there is no point
~ Compete against yourself. You don't know how long the other guys have been training, what drugs they are on, etc, etc.

My first meet I got out totalled by a woman. It was Jill Mills and she did win the World's Strongest woman a few times but I didn't know that and it was humbling to say the least.. I thought I was strong and got beat by a girl. So just keep in mind that there are some strong people out there and you might see some amazing things.

Good luck. I envy you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:25:22 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nicktex:
My first meet I got out totalled by a woman. It was Jill Mills and she did win the World's Strongest woman a few times but I didn't know that and it was humbling to say the least.. I thought I was strong and got beat by a girl. So just keep in mind that there are some strong people out there and you might see some amazing things.

Good luck. I envy you.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips!

I actually know Jill, she trains my sister and BIL, and we had the chance to hang out with her and her husband in Vegas a few weeks ago. Great people, and Jill is one impressive lady. No shame in losing to her in you first or your 50th meet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:19:21 PM EST
what meet? im competing in march as well as jan 4th.

don't bother cutting weight unless its to break a record.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:55:58 PM EST
Don't worry about cutting at all unless you are trying to set some kind of national record or something. Just go lift, have fun, and learn how to improve for your next meet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:41:19 AM EST

<snip>

Good luck. I envy you.
View Quote

I'd wager that Jill Mills in her prime had 3 times the testosterone levels of most guys in her weight class. Being out totalled by the likes of her is nothing to hang your head about.

30 odd years ago I used to work out at the same gym as Lori Bowen. She was a little tank during her bulking phase, but Jill is at an entirely different hormonal level.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:07:38 AM EST
I know the score on female powerlifters. I was just pointing out to the first timer that you never know what to expect at a meet.

I was pretty weak at that first meet (something like 525/350/500 as a 242), I think she beat me by 5-10 pounds as a 198. It was a real wakeup call for me but even as a first time lifter there were no illusions what was going on.

As to the drug issue, I believe anybody should be able to use whatever they want. I gave up powerlifting because we had a kid, I detatched a pec and was unwilling to take drugs to win a trophy. It was fun, I met many nice folks and got to see people do some incredible lifts but unless you are world class and willing to do the things that entails, you really are competing against yourself.

My recollection of Ms. Mills as a person is positive. She was always pleasant to me even though I was a middle of the pack type lifter and she was obviously elite. Her husband was a nice guy also. He is a very large man and brutally strong but seems like he tore something at just about every meet I attended.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:04:49 AM EST
My recollection of Ms. Mills as a person is positive. She was always pleasant to me even though I was a middle of the pack type lifter and she was obviously elite. Her husband was a nice guy also. He is a very large man and brutally strong but seems like he tore something at just about every meet I attended.
View Quote

Although I spent a short amount of time with them, Jill and Milo are two of the nicest people I've ever met.
Top Top