Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:23:34 AM EDT
I picked one up yesterday, fully aware of the signal issues. I have 5 bars of signal with my old 3g in my house, and now it fluctuates between 4 and 2, and thats without even touching it. Touching it brings the bars down to 1 or 2. Does the case really fix the problem? I'm thinking of trying it for a week then returning it if something doesn't fix it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get a bumper for no charge.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The bars don't mean shit. If you can use it to do wahtever you want to do, forget about all that crap. You have until 30 Sep to order a free case. Look on iTunes for the app.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
the thing is, when its down to one bar, the call fails
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Did your 3G ever get the iOS4 "update?" if not then that's why. With the iOS4, Apple changed the algorithm that shows signal strength. My 3GS used to show 4-5 bars all the time but ever since I installed iOS4 I've flucuated between 2-5 bars constantly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did your 3G ever get the iOS4 "update?" if not then that's why. With the iOS4, Apple changed the algorithm that shows signal strength. My 3GS used to show 4-5 bars all the time but ever since I installed iOS4 I've flucuated between 2-5 bars constantly.

My wife works for apple and says the ios4 on 3g phones is bad juju she gets calls all the time sometimes it minor issues other times it bricks the phone some. Your stuck with it there's no way to revert back, at least through official channels. Needless to say she does not have an iphone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that the bars on the 3G were very generous, and that the bars on the 4 are closer to reality.  You never had 5 bars before, it just told you you did.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The "bars" are BS feelgood fluff.

They are in no way indicative of true signal strength.

Look for a "Signal strength indicator" setting that is a numeral, in dBm.

I have a menu option on my Blackberry in the Options>Status selection that gives me sig strength in dBm.

Basically, anything lower than a -105 results in crap calls.

You will be amazed how oftimes you will show "bars" with little to no usable signal present.

It is pretty common to see differences in reception between different model phones, you really NEED a case for your Iphone 4.

Signal strength often varies by how you hold your phone, horizontal vs vertical, etc.

Here is a procedure for "field test" mode, it only works for IOS 4.1, however.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The "bars" are BS feelgood fluff.

They are in no way indicative of true signal strength.

Look for a "Signal strength indicator" setting that is a numeral, in dBm.

I have a menu option on my Blackberry in the Options>Status selection that gives me sig strength in dBm.

Basically, anything lower than a -105 results in crap calls.

You will be amazed how oftimes you will show "bars" with little to no usable signal present.

It is pretty common to see differences in reception between different model phones, you really NEED a case for your Iphone 4.

Signal strength often varies by how you hold your phone, horizontal vs vertical, etc.

Here is a procedure for "field test" mode, it only works for IOS 4.1, however.

thats cool...i got -110 holding it in my hands...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes I have NO bars on my Iphone and it works no problemo.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Apple was artificially inflating the signal strength on earlier iphones, or at least that's what I came to understand from the "changed the algorithms" news.  What you're seeing on the new model is what's right.  I'm guessing they did this at AT&T's request to cover up what lousy coverage AT&T really has, and to fit in with the lies they spread in their advertising.

And changing the signal strength indicator from bars to a numerical figure doesn't change the how the OS derives the number, it just changes the way it's displayed.  It's no different than changing from bars to a graph.  The underlying numbers are still the same.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sometimes I have NO bars on my Iphone and it works no problemo.

It's like fucking magic!  Or is that fucking magnets?  Maybe rainbows?  How about unicorns?

Whatever, it's an iPhone, I don't care!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can get a bumper for no charge.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/

Dont get the fucking bumper from the case program, it blows.

Get the Incase Snap case, a couple of my friends have them and they all like it much more.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
The iP4 is a dog, I had the ant issues, piss poor signal (I was in the office and count even get text messages out, a co-worker was surfing the Internet on her 3GS), and I had the proximity sensor issue on both phones (returned one, got a replacement) and I'm back on my 3GS. Enough time has gone by that I'm just going to hold out until June 2011 and get whatever iPhone Apple comes up with.

FWIW, I really like the iPhone... But, the 3G was a dog and the 3GS was an improvement. I see the same thing with the iP4, next year's model will be awesomeness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top