Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2002 12:06:13 PM EDT
How are you sighting in your guns?  Is a gun vise the best way to do this?  I saw what I considered a good buy in a gun vice the other day and I am considering buying it, $49.95.  I think this will make the whole process easier.  Please let me know how you guys are doing this and if you think a gun vice is necessary.  I have several rifles that need to be sighted in so this would not be a one time thing.

Thanks for your help. [50][50]

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt gun, semi auto, singleshot? Scoped or open sights?

For bolt actions, I rest it firmly on bean bags with the bolt out. Looking through the barrel find something at least 100 yds out and center it in the barrel opening. Without moving the rifle, adjust the scope cross hairs to the same place you picked out. That will get you "on paper" so that you can tune it to perfection. One thing I like to do after turning the adjustments on my scope is to smack the but pad with the palm of my hand pretty hard. It doesn't make the new adjustments "seat in" any better but it makes you look like you know something that other people don't know.

Another way is to start out with a target about 25 yards out. It looks too close but it will help you if the rifle is shooting way off paper at 100 yds. Get it to shoot about an inch high at 25 yds and you wont have alot to do to it out to 100; depending on what it's chambered for.

Old style iron sights are harder because of the need to use a hammer and punch to move the sights around.

I hope I didn't confuse you with my rambling instructions. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Make the bullet go where the crosshairs are pointing at. [bd]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
No. That is pretty much what I have been doing.  I just like the idea of a vice to keep the gun more steady.

Turbo5
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bolt gun, semi auto, singleshot? Scoped or open sights?

For bolt actions, I rest it firmly on bean bags with the bolt out. Looking through the barrel find something at least 100 yds out and center it in the barrel opening. Without moving the rifle, adjust the scope cross hairs to the same place you picked out. That will get you "on paper" so that you can tune it to perfection.
View Quote

This is exactly what I do, but disregard the rest of his ramblings!

Just make sure the gun is securely held or is immobilized somehow before you start playing with it.  This method has always gotten me closer to bull than with a bore sighter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top