Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 11:04:51 AM EDT
For the past 3 days or so I've had a very dull pain in my right side.  It's right near my belt line in the front, between my pelvis and belly button.  It's very dull, never shooting, and feels like it's about 2-3 inches under my skin.  If I push on it it doesn't hurt.  It comes and goes,  only lasts for 5 seconds or so then goes away for 10 minutes.  

By the way.  I quit drinking alcohol this past sunday (I've been a routine 2-6 beer /1-3 glass of wine/ 1-3 shot of liquor drinker per night)  On weekends I would drink up to 10 drinks.  

I also changed my diet around.  This started about 3 weeks ago.  First smaller portions, then got off the 1-2 cans of caffiene/pop a day.  Now I'm water only, apple for breakfast, granola bar for lunch, cottage cheese for snack, and about 10-12 oz's of meat, vegetables, and salad for dinner.  I feel great except for this recurring dull pain in my sides.

Also started lifting again, lightly, and am walking 1 mile on the treadmill.

26, 5'9'', 205,  target weight 175.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is appendix, you would probably be running a fever and the pain would be more persistent.  Could possibly be a kidney stone in the ureter trying to move through the ureterovesicle junction and into the bladder.  Could be muscular strain, an inguinal hernia, or Meckel's Diverticulum.

Any more specific details regarding the symptoms relating to time of day, behavior prior to pain, etc...???
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
My last side ache turned out to be a kidney stone.  I shouldn't say it was an ache, it was more like a intense, paralyzing pain.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#3]
hernia?

It's probably worth getting check out if it keeps at ya
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I has suspected kidney stones about 2 years back.  They did the "surgery" where they stuck the camera and basket to grab them out up my wee-wee, but could not find anything.  They're conclusion was calcified deposits outside of my tubes.  

I don't think it's muscluar as there is no pain when moving in any position, just a dull annoying pain that's been hitting every 10 minutes or so and lasting a few seconds.  It happens mostly when I'm sitting at my desk.

I have no clue what the last 2 things you said were, but if it persists over the weekend I may break down and get it checked out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you eat a lot of dairy... along with drinking carbonated beverages?

That combination give me kidney stones.  They're not always big enough to require a run to the hospital, but they will try to lay you out until they pass.

Lay off that combo....  you could be forming tiny stones and they're passing thru your system.

My grandmother, who has had/done both... says that a kidney stone is God's way of showing men the pain involved in child birth.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I has suspected kidney stones about 2 years back.  They did the "surgery" where they stuck the camera and basket to grab them out up my wee-wee, but could not find anything.  They're conclusion was calcified deposits outside of my tubes.  

I don't think it's muscluar as there is no pain when moving in any position, just a dull annoying pain that's been hitting every 10 minutes or so and lasting a few seconds.  It happens mostly when I'm sitting at my desk.

I have no clue what the last 2 things you said were, but if it persists over the weekend I may break down and get it checked out.

I've been having something that sounds similar to that.  It only bothers me when I'm sitting or when I'm in bed.  I can lay a certain way in bed and it doesn't bother me.  It started out just every now and then, but now it seems to be getting more frequent and more noticeable.  If it doesn't let up in a week, I'm going to the doctor.  The first time I noticed it wasn't long after I had a pretty good injury to the opposite side.  I don't know if it's related.

What's a hernia feel like?

CR
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]
prostate infection?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#8]
when I got appendicitis, I ran a fever and threw up 30 times in 6 hours before going to the ER. Sideache sounds more hernia-ish or kidneys
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd bet it's more along the lines of something to do with your recent lifestyle changes.

1. Your liver is working again.
2. You're about to take a dump of biblical proportions due to all the fiber you've recently ingested.

or- 3. Your vagina is swollen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
when I got appendicitis, I ran a fever and threw up 30 times in 6 hours before going to the ER. Sideache sounds more hernia-ish or kidneys

+1 Appendix can only be dealt with for 2 days tops. That how long I put it off.

The loss of vision, massive puking and feeling like I had a broken baseball bat shoved in my gut was enough to make me go to the ER. I walked in,  barfed then told them I had a nasty muscle cramp and then passed out.

I dont think its your appendix but dont ignore it. It could be something much more serious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Also worth getting the pH of your urine tested.  Some people have pH that is too high and this forms uric acid crystals which clump together to form "stones".  Since they are uric acid crystals and not calcium oxilate they will not show up on an X-ray. If your pH is too high (above 6) they can give you some medication to drop it low enough to prevent formation of the crystals.

Inguinal hernia is where the femoral artery leaves your abdomen and goes into your leg.  It passes through a hole in your peritoneum and the muscles around the opening can become loose and allow part of your intestine to slip in and out through the weak spot.  commonly located in the area where you describe your pain.

Meckel's diverticulum is located where the small intestine enters the large intestine at the cecum, which is also located where you are describing your pain (the appendix branches off from the cecum, too).  When you are an embryo the fetal intestine joins the yolk sac via the primitive yolk duct.  if the duct does not close completely, a Meckel's diverticulum may form, which is a small ballooning or pouch that is open to the intestine.  It's more common in males than females and can become symptomatic at any age, and contains gastric mucosa from the stomach.  The gastric mucosa (instead of the normal ileal mucosa found in the intestine) can eventually cause  a peptic ulcer (again, in the area you describe your pain) due to the unbuffered gastric mucosa.

Hope that clears things up.  Regardless, get it checked out if it persists.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I drink a lot and I get that too.

Drink a lot of water and it seems to calm down.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, and while they are checking the pH of your urine get them to check for microscopic hematuria, which is blood in your urine that you are unable to see with the naked eye.  Good indicator of the presence of a stone or kidney infection.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#16]
You're pregnant.  <-- College health clinic answer.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Beekeeper,

My vas deferens is going nowhere near his scrotum.  But you are correct.  It is where the testes descend into the scrotum in men and where the round ligament of the uterus passes through the abdominal wall in women.

Don't know what I was thinking...

And I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the internet.

BTW and OT, small hive beetles were found in some hives about fifteen miles from us...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh, and while they are checking the pH of your urine get them to check for microscopic hematuria, which is blood in your urine that you are unable to see with the naked eye.  Good indicator of the presence of a stone or kidney infection.  

I've had microscopic hematuria for the past 5 years.  After my first panic attack, they did all the tests on me, and it came back that there was blood (to small to see) in my pee.  Then they did they x-rays, then ran the iodine through me and took more x rays of my kidneys/tubes/bladder.  That's when they decided to stick the scope up my ying-yang and scrape the insides of my bladder and tubes that connect it to my kidney out.  That's the only time I've ever pissed blood, after the surgery.  But they say it's normal in a certain percentage of people and not to worry about it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had microscopic hematuria for the past 5 years.  After my first panic attack, they did all the tests on me, and it came back that there was blood (to small to see) in my pee.  Then they did they x-rays, then ran the iodine through me and took more x rays of my kidneys/tubes/bladder.  That's when they decided to stick the scope up my ying-yang and scrape the insides of my bladder and tubes that connect it to my kidney out.  That's the only time I've ever pissed blood, after the surgery.  But they say it's normal in a certain percentage of people and not to worry about it.

I suddenly cant get comfortable sitting right now. Al I can say to that post is

FREAKING OUCH.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Kidney Stone.. Been there, done that, a few times..  Start drinking Cranberry juice and water! Alot of it!!!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Umm, I know it's an odd idea, but have thought about going to see a Doctor about it?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
when I got appendicitis, I ran a fever and threw up 30 times in 6 hours before going to the ER. ...

Preety much the same for me.

I was violently ill.  I didn’t know what was wrong with me - and I hate hospitals.  Regardless, I staggered into the ER and pretty much begged them to cut me open and find the problem!

However, I did have bouts of appendicitis for the preceding couple of years, which were painful but went away (and weren’t recognized for what they were).  So I guess it’s conceivable you might be starting down that road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top