Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2004 11:40:42 AM EDT
OK- so the Russians are of some use,  Where else can you get the Stones Black & Blue for 40 cents?  Yes, as in  0.40  for the entire albulm.

They have everything imaginable. From the gayest techno imaginable to the evilest death metal and everything in between.

I have been using this site for months now. LINK

I would highly reccomend using  paypal to open an account, I wouldnt trust Boris with my credit card info. You can sign up for free and stream music all day and night , the full songs not 30 second teasers.

If you need MP3's, dont think we should be paying 99 cents a pop to Apple so Steve Jobs can buy another  Leer jet, and you are sick of getting bunk files from kazza,  check out this site.

Damn - I sound like a freakin salesman - check it out and you willl see why I cant stop yammering...

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt it's legal. $0.10 per song would not cover the royalty fee due to the record company.  and $0.40 for an album is way too low for the royalty due for albums.  Apple gets less than $0.30 out of the $0.99 per song you buy.

Is $1 a song really too much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]

I doubt it's legal. $0.10 per song would not cover the royalty fee due to the record company. and $0.40 for an album is way too low for the royalty due for albums. Apple gets less than $0.30 out of the $0.99 per song you buy.

I wasn't probing the legalities , just providing a link for reasonably priced music. Don't call the internet police .  As far as I know, I am paying for a digital product, they are collecting money through their own merchant account and 3d parties (paypal). If they are not paying their royalties, Lars Ulrich and his MP3 gustapo should invade moscow.

If they are breaking the law, they sure arent trying to hide from anyone> link to contact page

Yes it is IMHO, especially when music is easily obtainable for free (p2p networks, etc).  - You buy an album, than you buy the same 8 track, than you buy the same cassette, than the same CD, and than an mp3 - next thing we know the record companies will be charging us to listen to the radio.

Why would I pay $1 a file if you can get the same thing at 90% off? I don't steal cd's from best buy, but when it comes to digital music, you wont catch me paying $1 for a bunch of ones & zeroes (data).
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
why not use soulseek? it's free and safe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
How about win mx for free.

Don't pay for this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why would I pay $1 a file if you can get the same thing at 90% off? I don't steal cd's from best buy

You might as well be.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Why don't you sign up for Rhapsody and listen to all the music you want for $9.95/mo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would I pay $1 a file if you can get the same thing at 90% off? I don't steal cd's from best buy

You might as well be.

nice avatar
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Nothing online is safe, there are bad files everywhere, open ports, but that is a good program.

For consistent, well organized  quality mp3 music, I will gladly pay. For certain usese, p2p, bit-torrent, soulseek and the like do provide a great outlet and Im not knocking them.

You might as well be.

So I own Powerslave on vinyl and CD, I should buy it on i tunes again??

Sorry i thought this was the internet.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
winmx

still strong
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:I would highly reccomend using  paypal to open an account, I wouldnt trust Boris with my credit card info. You can sign up for free and stream music all day and night , the full songs not 30 second teasers.

Can you just stream it, or are downloads available?

What sort of encoding is used? (i.e. what bitrate?)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I doubt it's legal. $0.10 per song would not cover the royalty fee due to the record company. and $0.40 for an album is way too low for the royalty due for albums. Apple gets less than $0.30 out of the $0.99 per song you buy.

I wasn't probing the legalities , just providing a link for reasonably priced music. How little should I pay for your AR?  $200 sounds about right for YOURS.Don't call the internet police .  As far as I know, I am paying for a digital product, they are collecting money through their own merchant account and 3d parties (paypal). If they are not paying their royalties, Lars Ulrich and his MP3 gustapo should invade moscow.

If they are breaking the law, they sure arent trying to hide from anyone> link to contact page

Yes it is IMHO, especially when music is easily obtainable for free (p2p networks, etc).  - You buy an album, than you buy the same 8 track, than you buy the same cassette, than the same CD, and than an mp3 - next thing we know the record companies will be charging us to listen to the radio.  Already do.

Why would I pay $1 a file if you can get the same thing at 90% off? I don't steal cd's from best buy, but when it comes to digital music A CD IS digital music, you wont catch me paying $1 for a bunch of ones & zeroes (data).

It's OK to try and negotiate over what you'll pay for someone's else's property but simply paying what you think is fair is not what you would want to happen to you, I'm fairly sure of that.  Until then there's the competitor or doing without.....it ain't a necessity.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Of course not. You're not legally required to. But anyone who actually uses Itunes knows about the shiny "import" button that appears when you pop a CD in your drive. Couldn't be simpler, or safer.

Downloading mp3's of songs you already own is no crime. But that sure didn't sound like the jist of your post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nothing online is safe, there are bad files everywhere, open ports, but that is a good program.

For consistent, well organized  quality mp3 music, I will gladly pay. For certain usese, p2p, bit-torrent, soulseek and the like do provide a great outlet and Im not knocking them.

You might as well be.

Sorry i thought this was the internet.  

Why not just rip the CD to mp3s?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Can you just stream it, or are downloads available?

What sort of encoding is used? (i.e. what bitrate?)

full .mp3 download is available if you buy. The sample i just tested streamed at a 64 bitrate. The btrate varies on the actual mp3s, it is listed next to each song (minimum 128).

It's OK to try and negotiate over what you'll pay for someone's else's property but simply paying what you think is fair is not what you would want to happen to you, I'm fairly sure of that. Until then there's the competitor or doing without.....it ain't a necessity.
I agree with you 100% if we were talkin about  tangable goods. Metallica isnt starving, and I am not hurting anybody. That philisophical statement would hold water under different circumstances, not here.

Downloading mp3's of songs you already own is no crime. But that sure didn't sound like the jist of your post.

I was just sharing a link to a website that sells music, this thread has taken on the whole mp3, proprietary rights debate. Not my intent.

The mp3 site has been passed around through personal friends with alot of excitement, not the reaction I have gotten here. Apparentlly this was the wrong place to share the link.

Why not just rip the CD to mp3s?

It's a pain in the ass meatwad, and  it's quicker to dl quality mp3's.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I subscribe to emusic, and I'm happy with that. Found enough new stuff there to last for a while. I won't give any company that uses DRM a cent of my money, no matter the selection, legality, or price. Edit: Or how easy it is to crack the protection.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]

I subscribe to emusic, and I'm happy with that. Found enough new stuff there to last for a while. I won't give any company that uses DRM a cent of my money, no matter the selection, legality, or price.

Cool, i'm glad you found a product that suits your needs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does everyone push WinMX and others like it as if they're better than Kazaa?   I've used WinMX, Limewire, Shareaza, and a host of others.  Most of them just put you in a queue a mile long.  You can literally sit for days and never get shit.  Kazaa is the only one I ever get anything off of.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I agree with you 100% if we were talkin about  tangable goods. Metallica isnt starving, and I am not hurting anybody. That philisophical statement would hold water under different circumstances, not here.

Intellectual property is intangeble, but still worth money.

What you are doing is STEALING.

You aren't starving, are you?  Is it okay for me to rip off something of yours?  How about if I stole an idea of yours, or a book?

It's not about bits and bytes, it's about what those bits and bytes represent - someone's labor.

Given your thinking, Microsoft should only sell 1 copy of Windows and the rest of the country should just share copies via the Internet.  Hell, it's only 1's and 0's.

THEFT is THEFT.

I dont' sell my honor to save $0.90
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]

I dont' sell my honor to save $0.90

OK like i said i posted  a link, if your not interested, change the channel. If you want tot start a debate about downloading mp3's, start a new thread -

I'm going to go have dinner with my wife, take care -
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I wasn't probing the legalities , just providing a link for reasonably priced music. Don't call the internet police .  As far as I know, I am paying for a digital product, they are collecting money through their own merchant account and 3d parties (paypal). If they are not paying their royalties, Lars Ulrich and his MP3 gustapo should invade moscow.

Yes it is IMHO, especially when music is easily obtainable for free (p2p networks, etc).  - You buy an album, than you buy the same 8 track, than you buy the same cassette, than the same CD, and than an mp3 - next thing we know the record companies will be charging us to listen to the radio.

Why would I pay $1 a file if you can get the same thing at 90% off? I don't steal cd's from best buy, but when it comes to digital music, you wont catch me paying $1 for a bunch of ones & zeroes (data).

So,  buying that brand new BMW for $5000 from the shady guy on the street corner is fine.  And buying a a brand new Dell computer out of the back of some guys van that he's selling for $100 is not committing a crime either I guess...

Receiving stolen property is a crime.

Back when you could only get certain songs on singles, and they were $3 or $4, I was more sympathetic to the mp3 stealing scene.  But now you can buy any song for only $1 and any album for $10, which is reasonable.  No longer can people hide behind the ideas of not wanting the whole album, or stating they are just checking the music out to see if they want to buy it.  Now its just theft.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I've often wondered how those who "steal" music from the Internet are viewed when they are trying to get out-of-print music or other non-published music (e.g., live sets).  The kind of stuff that never gets released on CD and finding it on vinyl or tape is impossible.  Also, a lot of good music gets released as promo for radio stations, but never for sale to the public.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've often wondered how those who "steal" music from the Internet are viewed when they are trying to get out-of-print music or other non-published music (e.g., live sets).  The kind of stuff that never gets released on CD and finding it on vinyl or tape is impossible.  Also, a lot of good music gets released as promo for radio stations, but never for sale to the public.

I do that alot, or download stuff you just cant find for sale.  Im also on there downloading stuff like TV shows that arent on anymore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#23]
gunman0
Team Member
Village Idiot

I'm going to burn in hell.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I would highly reccomend using  paypal to open an account, I wouldnt trust Boris with my credit card info. You can sign up for free and stream music all day and night , the full songs not 30 second teasers.

I don't see a Paypal option…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
nvm it's back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Aparently this is legal. They've gotten the distribution rights through their government.

BTW where is the paypal option?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Aparently this is legal. They've gotten the distribution rights through their government.

TO ALL THOSE WHO DOUBTED ME!!

BTW where is the paypal option?

The paypal option is gone.   when i opened my account with them it was a payment option. They revamped the site a few weeks ago they mustve removed it. https://www.moneybookers.com seems to be doing 3d party payments for them, i cannot vouge for them though.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

?

Any 3rd rate government can give those rights - did the artists?

Shit, China lets their companies rip off $millions in DVD movies, do you think that is right?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Ain't no way it is legal but you can keep telling yourself it is.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

Any 3rd rate government can give those rights - did the artists?

Shit, China lets their companies rip off $millions in DVD movies, do you think that is right?

I didn't write international law, I'm just following it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you read a little more into it before you give uneducated opinions. Or are you one of the people who thinks we'll be able to buy uzi's from the back of ice cream trucks?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Great, can I get a hall pass? Do you honestly think I ponder about this rediculous bullshit?

Everybody - it's now 9-11 .  We have more important things to think about and reflect on.

Let's call it a wrap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you read a little more into it before you give uneducated opinions. Or are you one of the people who thinks we'll be able to buy uzi's from the back of ice cream trucks?

uneducated? nice coming from you Jethro

You ever hear of “Special 301”, Jethro?  It is a provision in the U.S. Trade law that requires identification of countries that fail to provide adequate and effective protection to U.S. intellectual property.   I will give  you two guesses who is on the list.  Two guesses because you bring up stupid analogies of ice cream trucks and Uzi's

From the The Office of the United States Trade Representative:

Russia currently fails to provide adequate and effective protection as contemplated under the GSP program. It would have been more appropriate to remove Russia's eligibility for GSP, and to restore it if and when Russia took effective action to remedy the situation. Nevertheless, the Administration must have had reason to believe that Russia would be taking immediate steps to address a situation that has grown out of control. We call upon the government of Russia to quickly redeem these hopes, and to take urgently needed action to address a piracy problem that gravely affects Russian and foreign creators alike. We hope that the Russian government takes swift action based on a recognition that piracy undermines Russia's standing in the global community and precludes WTO accession; harms Russia's creators; inhibits its cultural and economic development; and permits the operation of organized criminal syndicates, thereby undermining the rule of law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top