Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2006 8:49:11 PM EDT
I hope this isn't a dupe.

Is it just me, or is this a completely cool piece of video?

Shuttle Booster Camera
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
fracking cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
very cool
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
awesome video! what was the other item falling into the ocean, it didn't look like a SRB, it looked like a capsule.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
What a ride!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The only other things I saw were the other booster and of course the chutes. Seeing the shuttle plume right after separation was (I thought) pretty dang wicked.

I especially dug the fact it had audio and you can literally "hear" the air getting thicker.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, that's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
awesome video! what was the other item falling into the ocean, it didn't look like a SRB, it looked like a capsule.

SRB nose cone would be my guess
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#8]
amazing!
is there a way to save that video somehow???????????????/
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRB nose cone would be my guess

so the nose cone releases the 3 chutes for the SRB, then the nose cone has 1 chute? make sense I guess.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, now I see it. Yeah! Nose-cone w/single chute. Didn't catch that the first time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
This may be a stupid question, but here goes:

The tubes will fill with water and sink, right?  So are the parachutes there to minimize damage in case the rockets would hit a passing ship?

Back to the video, very cool.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
That is very cool!

ETA: I tried to pause it just as the other object comes into view, and it looks like the nose cone, as someone already said.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The tubes will fill with water and sink, right?  So are the parachutes there to minimize damage in case the rockets would hit a passing ship?

The Solid Rocket Boosters do not sink.  They are made to float in a vertical position, with a good part of it rising above the water.  If you hit one of those while it is floating in the water, then you aint paying attention.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy cow, this is almost cooler! Looks like a Stanley Kubrick production:

VIDEO
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The SRBs are recovered and reused, they aren't supposed to sink.  The parachutes are to slow the fall so they aren't damaged when they hit the water.

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Treelo and Dilbert_556.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I think they did lose a few SRB early in the program cause they sunk
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Dang, I found another totally different one. This is sweet!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
The vids have made the rounds before.

Do I get internet points for being the dupe bitch?

Anyone find a nightimg launch one?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Extremely cool.

I want one of the SRB parachutes.   It'd be a neat collectible.  Not everybody has one.

Something to think about....virtually every rocket booster and booster stage we've ever launched and didn't recover afterwards contains two things on it:  Silver oxide batteries
containing several HUNDRED ounces of recoverable silver,  and explosive self-destruct
charges that are unfired.

Someone who was very well equipped and very adept at finding these things could make
quite a business recovering these items.    The explosives would be something you would
want to not bring home,  but the silver content of the batteries  would be a nice payday.

Plus the electronic packages on them would sell quite well to the space hardware
collector crowds.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#23]
cool as fuck !
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I love it I love it I love it !!!

The sound was unexpected and cool! Especially right after booster sep when you can hear chunks of un-burned propellant striking the booster shell.

two quesytions:

1) at what altitude do the boosters seperate? Must be low enough so they do not burn up upon re-entry, of course.

2) how can I save this vid?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The sound was unexpected and cool! Especially right after booster sep when you can hear chunks of un-burned propellant striking the booster shell.

two quesytions:

1) at what altitude do the boosters seperate? Must be low enough so they do not burn up upon re-entry, of course.

Approx 150,000 ft or 24 nautical miles (28 statute miles)

ETA:  The above is the approx altitude that the boosters separate, however, they continue after separation to a height of about 220,000 ft or 35 nautical miles (41 statute miles).  Approx 75 seconds after separation, the SRB's impact the ocean approx 122 nautical miles (141 statute miles) downrange.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

two quesytions:

It's not so much the altitude that affects re-entry frictional heating but the velocity on entry. The SRBs don't impart that much velocity to the shuttle themselves, in the launch profile they basically do the 'heavy lifting' and get the shuttle the altitude, the SSMEs burn for another two minutes or longer (if it's an ISS mission) to give the shuttle orbital velocity .
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

two quesytions:

I looked at the source to see if there's a way to save the vids. I don't think so (at least not the first one from Glumbert). These are .FLV (Flash video) files that are pulled dynamically into the containing. SWF (Flash) file. No way of knowing the video's file name or path. I was actually looking for them in another savable format when I came across those other two. I didn't spend much time though so some further digging on NASA'a site may yield an mpeg or wmv file that you can save.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top