Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/8/2010 2:22:48 AM EDT
I have VERY vocal cat. That's just the way she is, and I don't mind. My problem is her waking me up in the morning. I need to leave at ~6:00 am to get to work 3-5 days per week, depending on whether classes are in session or not. I have to feed her before I leave. The other two days I don't have to leave for class until past 7:30, so she gets fed later.

She starts loudly meowing at like 5:45 or so EVERY MORNING without fail. She cannot be ignored, and she won't shut up until she's been fed. She is very trainable, in fact she is toilet trained, but I don't know how to approach this. I'm posting this now b/c she woke me up and I can't get back to sleep. No, I haven't fed her yet, she'll get fed right before I leave as usual.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:44:42 AM EDT
Being toilet trained isn't a a good indicator of anything that's pretty natural cat thing and is unusual if they DONT do that..

Just wake up, feed the cat when she makes noise and go back to bed, a fed cat may just get on the bed and wash, then settle without making too much noise. Or, close the bedroom door with the cat on the other side in the evening.

My cats try to "help" me into staying in a routine, so you need to find a routine that works for you and the cat. If the GF is over, they'll go try to get her up once they have been fed and I am up.

You could also try using a squirt bottle of water or something, but that is sort of futile for noise as they'll figure out how to make noise while covered.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:48:06 AM EDT
If you are feeding the cat once a day you have trained her to expect to be fed at that specific time every day. She is making noise because she is hungry and it is the time you trained her to be hungry (three days a week vs five).

You might try putting just a little food out in the evening and feeding her slightly less in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:56:12 AM EDT
Our cat is outside the bedroom door rite now screaming.I don't mind other than I like to let my 3 year old sleep so I can get a little break in the mornings.Cats are a pain sometimes!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:01:22 AM EDT
Feed them in the afternoon or evening when you get home.

Never get a cat used to eating in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:02:42 AM EDT
Get one of those feeders that have a hopper bin so she has food all night. They're like $8.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:27:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Nexus6:
Feed them in the afternoon or evening when you get home.

Never get a cat used to eating in the morning.

This is probably your best answer.

Feed the cat in the afternoon or evening.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:01:24 AM EDT
You will appreciate her one day when your alarm clock doesn't go off.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:00:20 PM EDT
Several companies make feeders with timers on them. Get her used to using it on your early days and she'll let you sleep on your late days. Good luck. Our puppy gets us up at 5am every day. gotta pee gotta pee gotta pee. Not much we can do about that!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:11:05 AM EDT
My wife puts food in the cat's bowl every morning (1/2 full). He eats a little whenever he wants. We do fill the waterbowl 2-3 times a day. Seems to be working as he doesn't overeat.
Page General » Pets
Top Top