please

Specs would be nice too
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
IBDCP's  

Please don't Dusty.   For the children.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF is this shit, no one wants to see your genital piercings, at least not on ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
ETA: I guess the OP is talking about electrical Jacob's Ladders.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
i did a google for jacobs ladder and i got everything from biblical references to childrens toys.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought he was talking about an electrical jacobs ladder(climbing arc)?

Some info I found: Not a rick roll

Also here 3/4 way down the page -->Wiki
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IBDCP's  

Please don't Dusty.   For the children.  

No dusty, do it!!  DO IT NOW!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]

This is a Jacobs Ladder.  I used to climb these at work (haven't had to in a while, new unit) It gets interesting getting up one in the rain, up 50ft, with a heavy ass boarding kit and an M-16

I've been on some scary bad ones.  Take care of yours.

A good start would be to find 2 lengths of 1 3/4" 3 strand nylon line.  Drill holes in GOOD 2x4's cut to appropriate length.  Put top rung on, tie a figure-8 knot beneath it on each piece of line.  Tie another figure-8 where you want the next rung to be, slide it up from the bottom, tie figure-8's below the rung so it stays in place.  Contine in this manner till you are done.  I would smooth out the holes you drill as much as possible.  Some sort of nonskid tape on the rungs would be really nice as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Either that, or it's some electrical stuff.

in that case, it's waaaay over my head.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, I'd edit your first post and thread title. Make it clear that you are talking about electrical Jacobs Ladders and not the disgusting dick piercings.

That being said I have hever built one although I have the transformers at the house. It would be a fun project.

TAG for the train wreck.

-LTC-
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn, I was hoping it was something I actually know about

(actual ladders, not weener holes)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the many HV transformer-related projects I hope to tackle someday.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Using a 60hz transformer is difficult. Very sensitive to "atmospheric conditions".

High frequency works better, but anybody using wireless nearby will hate you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
img137.imageshack.us/img137/3664/jacobsladderew9.jpg

This is a Jacobs Ladder.  I used to climb these at work (haven't had to in a while, new unit) It gets interesting getting up one in the rain, up 50ft, with a heavy ass boarding kit and an M-16

I've been on some scary bad ones.  Take care of yours.

A good start would be to find 2 lengths of 1 3/4" 3 strand nylon line.  Drill holes in GOOD 2x4's cut to appropriate length.  Put top rung on, tie a figure-8 knot beneath it on each piece of line.  Tie another figure-8 where you want the next rung to be, slide it up from the bottom, tie figure-8's below the rung so it stays in place.  Contine in this manner till you are done.  I would smooth out the holes you drill as much as possible.  Some sort of nonskid tape on the rungs would be really nice as well.

Not rolling enough and the seas are WAAAY too calm.  Sometime in the early 80's most of the Harbor Pilot groups in the US banned them, or at least refused to use them for boardings anymore.  Imagine a pilot boat or a tugboat coming alongside a ship this side, the ship rolling and the swells lifting and dropping the boat about 3-8 feet alongside, and both moving at up to 5 kts.  Then they get real exciting.  You grab at the top and climb like hell as the boat drops away from you.  You catch it at the bottom and the boat moves up faster than you can, possibly crushing you between the ship and the boat, and/or if it knocks you off, where do you go, fall 5-8 feet to the deck of the boat, between the ship and the tugboat and they come back together on you or above you and you get sucked into the tugboat screws or back into the ship screws.

And you think things don't get exciting at sea.

The longer rungs are to keep it from twisting too much.  If I was making one, I would use a 2x6 every second or third rung to help hold the 2x4 rungs a little way off the side of the ship, also use a 1/8th rounding over bit in a router to smooth the holes for the rpoes and a 1/4" rounding over bit to smooth off all the outer edges.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Using a 60hz transformer is difficult. Very sensitive to "atmospheric conditions".

High frequency works better, but anybody using wireless nearby will hate you.

Damn straight.  Built one for my brother for his apartment.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Ahhh good call on the 2x6's

I did many boardings at sea climbin up those in all sorts of wonderful sea conditions.  Usually in the middle of the night.  We would usually hit them in the Bigstone Anchorage, but did a few further out to sea.  It's always interesting.

The Delaware River Pilots still use em.  We would ride thier boats out.

It's a terrible feeling to feel a rung start cracking as soon as you put weight on it

It's also a terrible feeling to be the first person up the ladder, and have a dozen crewmembers mustered where they aren't supposed to be.  And knowing your nearest backup is 40 feet below you.

If I had a use for one, I would make my own.  It seems like a cool project.

ETA:  That picture isn't me.  That;s in the Persian Gulf somewhere, and it's a Navy puke.  We tried to do our boardings at night.  There were many tense moments taking those first few rungs, especially when rocking and rolling.  Man, I loved that job.

Now THIS is the way to do it.  A skinny ass caving ladder.

One of our guys fell from a good ways up.  his LvlIV plates probably saved the use of his legs/arms.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Just taze one of those kids with the body piercing, like the big nose rings,
you'll get the same effect.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a neon sign transformer from a friend last week.  I probably won't have time to turn it into a JL until after Christmas though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Its a Tesla Coil From Hell

That's cool ! I hate to see the light bill.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its a Tesla Coil From Hell

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Talk about a bug ZAPPER !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top