Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2013 7:46:38 AM EDT
Has anyone here made their own homemade beach cart?  My wife and I will be going on vacation later this summer with our 5 month old twins, and I'd like to have a beach cart to haul our cooler, shelter, chairs, etc.

The decent commercial options out there (like the Wheeleez Beach Cart-Folding and Folding-mini) are expensive ($250+ for the large cart, $130+ for the mini, which is too small), or don't look like they handle the sand too well.

I'd like to make a simple one out of PVC since we'll be driving and have the room for it.  Not sure on the wheel selection though, since the Wheeleez wheels seem like the only really good wheels for sand, and they are pricey for even the small PVC wheel axle kit ($79 plus shipping).

Anyone have wheel recommendations, or a good place to purchase the Wheeleez wheels at a decent price?  The beaches in Wildwood are really long, so I'd like to have something that can handle sand well as opposed to a basic Radio Flyer like wagon that will sink in loose sand.  Harbor freight has a good selection of cheap wheels, but none that are close to the balloon type sand wheels like Wheeleez.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]

beach kart = me

pack mule dad
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

beach kart = me

pack mule dad

I miss the days when all I needed on the beach was my surf board.  A towel was optional equipment.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been working on a beach/all-terrain cooler cart with provisions to stack chairs, tents, etc.. on top and strap down. The metal is 1/2"x1/2"x1/8" wall steel, the wheels are from HD's lawn section, and the casters are some industrial casters that I hacked up and have since built new mounts for. Final work on it will have to wait until I return to the US at the end of June. For reference the cooler is a 65 qt.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea but it sounds like yet another thing I have to pack in the car and keep up with over the course of the week. Luckily, my kids are a little older so they can tote some stuff too. Five years ago, I would have been all over this.

I'm curious to see what you guys come up with, though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Evening bump.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the standard folding , 2 wheel beach cart, replaced the wheels and axle with those from an old Power Wheels™. Same diameter axle, just needed to be longer. This setup did not really add much weight, since the wheels are just hollow plastic. It worked well in the sand The entire setup was just a bit wider due to the wheels. Sorry no pics, stopped using the cart and gave it away curside, since the kids got bigger and can help carry our stuf now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Bumping this back up, finally got around to (mostly) finishing this thing up. I've still got a few things to finish (tie down hooks, plugging open-ended tubes, extra bracing, small storage bin, etc..), but so far it does a great job of moving a full 65 qt Yeti with chairs & a tent strapped to the top over rough terrain.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive been watching for a cheap power wheels car for the wheels. I think they would work better on loose sand.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Never underestimate the width of the tires you will need. My beach cart has tires bigger than anything posted so far, but it sinks right in to the powdery-white sand of the emerald coast.

Some of those wheels might work on east coast or west coast garbage beaches, not so much on the awesome stuff we have down here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has anyone here made their own homemade beach cart?  My wife and I will be going on vacation later this summer with our 5 month old twins, and I'd like to have a beach cart to haul our cooler, shelter, chairs, etc.

The decent commercial options out there (like the Wheeleez Beach Cart-Folding and Folding-mini) are expensive ($250+ for the large cart, $130+ for the mini, which is too small), or don't look like they handle the sand too well.

I'd like to make a simple one out of PVC since we'll be driving and have the room for it.  Not sure on the wheel selection though, since the Wheeleez wheels seem like the only really good wheels for sand, and they are pricey for even the small PVC wheel axle kit ($79 plus shipping).

Anyone have wheel recommendations, or a good place to purchase the Wheeleez wheels at a decent price?  The beaches in Wildwood are really long, so I'd like to have something that can handle sand well as opposed to a basic Radio Flyer like wagon that will sink in loose sand.  Harbor freight has a good selection of cheap wheels, but none that are close to the balloon type sand wheels like Wheeleez.

Costco has a nice folding cart for under $100.  I have one I use on the beach at Tahoe and it works good.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Never underestimate the width of the tires you will need. My beach cart has tires bigger than anything posted so far, but it sinks right in to the powdery-white sand of the emerald coast.

Some of those wheels might work on east coast or west coast garbage beaches, not so much on the awesome stuff we have down here.

should be said again... right now the beach here is soft enough it takes nothing short of paddle tires to get on the beach.

funny we mention this. last week I loaded up the dogs and took the wife fishing.... when I was younger I could carry everything i needed in one hand
our morning fishing trip took up the majority of the bed of the truck. canopy,chairs,coolers,fishing gear,dogs... it was absurd

for pier fishing I do have a utility cart. it is a life saver for hauling all our crap down long piers
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bumping this back up, finally got around to (mostly) finishing this thing up. I've still got a few things to finish (tie down hooks, plugging open-ended tubes, extra bracing, small storage bin, etc..), but so far it does a great job of moving a full 65 qt Yeti with chairs & a tent strapped to the top over rough terrain.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l580/jwtfaulkner/IMG_1616_zps338776ac.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l580/jwtfaulkner/IMG_1615_zps5cba218c.jpg

Push or pull?

Either way it looks very heavy like it would sink quick.

Wouldn't wide squared off tires work better?
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
needs tank treads and a small electric or two stroke motor.

AND A GUN MOUNT.

mostly a gun mount.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#15]
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/880/6jvh.jpg

Street, beach, dirt, gravel - meh its all the same.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Why go to all that trouble?

My garden cart doubles for that duty.

Mine is yellow, but that green looks pretty spiffy.

LC

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit this unit looks nice and it is under $100.00.
Beach cart
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Lots of commercial alum. carts available. Get the widest turf-style tires offered.

I made my first one out back in the 90s out of one of those orange Chi-Com convertable dollys. A friend hooked me up with a couple of turf tires/wheels. Worked just fine but being steel it did not like the salt water much. Mine was set-up for surf fishing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I used wheelbarrow wheels/tires. Works well for me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#21]

I used that exact wagon at the beach this weekend. It would have worked as well without the wheels, maybe better. It was a giant plow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#22]
buy a used pier cart.  Most of the non "fishing" carts are made of steel.  Heavy and will rust.  Non beach/fishing carts have narrow wheels, not much fun on sand, especially with any weight in the cart.  Put up a WTB add in pierandsurf.com or tidalfish or any of the other fishing sites in va
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

does that handle rotate down ?? if not how are you going to pull it thru the deep sand w/skinny wheels and have no leverage on the handle to pull it ??  like others said here in FL you would get stuck right off the bat. Our beach is down steep dunes so you park your jeep/4x4 on the top of the dunes and kinda butt slide/skid down.  I do like the Yeti  god those things are $$$$$$. We sell them at work so I get 30% off them but they are still pricey. I think the real big ones are like $400.

My kids are 15 and 17. They drive themselves and no parents are allowed anymore

Boy times flies...
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

does that handle rotate down ?? if not how are you going to pull it thru the deep sand w/skinny wheels and have no leverage on the handle to pull it ??  like others said here in FL you would get stuck right off the bat. Our beach is down steep dunes so you park your jeep/4x4 on the top of the dunes and kinda butt slide/skid down.  I do like the Yeti  god those things are $$$$$$. We sell them at work so I get 30% off them but they are still pricey. I think the real big ones are like $400.

Boy times flies...

Handle doesn't rotate, and can be used to push or pull. This wasn't designed specifically for the beach, it will be used more to haul the cooler to game day events, move it around easier on the farm, carry it into the field for certain hunts, etc. The most extensive use it will see on the beach will be this weekend at a bachelor party, where there are 10 other guys to help get it through any soft sand. What ever needs to be changed after this weekend will be, I ran into a time crunch before this trip so certain things were changed for time's sake. Either way, it's easier than carrying it; and I'll be drunk.

ETA- The tires are bigger than they appear, they are 10"x3.5"
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boy times flies...

Handle doesn't rotate, and can be used to push or pull. This wasn't designed specifically for the beach, it will be used more to haul the cooler to game day events, move it around easier on the farm, carry it into the field for certain hunts, etc. The most extensive use it will see on the beach will be this weekend at a bachelor party, where there are 10 other guys to help get it through any soft sand. What ever needs to be changed after this weekend will be, I ran into a time crunch before this trip so certain things were changed for time's sake. Either way, it's easier than carrying it; and I'll be drunk.

ETA- The tires are bigger than they appear, they are 10"x3.5"

AAR: I was able to find an hour right before I hit the road to build a handle, it's a 24" long T-handle made from 1.25"x3/16" square tube with a 1/2" bolt for a hinge and a 5/16" lock pin to secure it up when not in use. The setup worked great other than having to carry it over the dunes on a boardwalk with about 30 stairs. It's a heavy bitch. The sand wasn't much of a problem, just walk below the high tide line. Even in soft sand it was easy for one person to pull.

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/880/6jvh.jpg

Street, beach, dirt, gravel - meh its all the same.

You need a thread on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top