Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 5:22:24 AM EDT
The kid is not too bright but the Fire/Rescue crew's actions are what got my attention!

Sometimes I have really got to wonder!  WTF are these ASSHATS screwing with Ordnance, If this projo is still live, these meatheads may have just missed meeting the REAPER especially if it had a Mechanical Time Fuze (MT) with a cocked striker!  Unless you have successfully completed NAVSCOLEOD, and preferably served in the field - DON'T TRY TO RENDER SAFE DUD ORDNANCE unless you want to meet GOD in pieces!  

Sorry, Police Bomb Squad teams don't even get a quarter of the training Military EOD gets by the way!

By Laura Arenschield
The Winchester Star

What one Frederick County student thought would be an innocent way to show a teacher a part of history turned into a major disruption at Robert E. Aylor Middle School in Stephens City on Monday afternoon.

About 1,000 people were evacuated from the building after school officials discovered a seventh-grader had brought an artillery shell to school.

“Any time you see something like that, you never know the shape or condition it’s in, if it’s a live round or not,” Aylor Principal Donald Williams said. “The student brought it to school to show his civics teacher.”

But before the student reached civics class, another teacher saw the shell — it is nearly a foot long — and notified school administrators.

They evacuated the building and called the Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department.

Fire and Rescue Capt. Tim Welsh examined the shell and notified the Army.

“We don’t know what this is, so we’re treating it as an explosive,” he said. “We called in the Explosive Ordinance Division of the Army.”

Williams guessed that the shell was used by the Army during World War I.

He said the student would be disciplined for bringing the shell to school, but would not face formal criminal charges.

The shell belonged to a relative of the student, Williams said.

Welsh said the shell would not be returned: “This is the property of the Army. He shouldn’t have had it to start with.”

The relative will not face criminal charges, Welsh said.

Before military officials arrived at the school, county Fire and Rescue teams removed the detonation device from the top of the shell, Welsh said.  

But they didn’t open it up to see if it could have been live.

“The young man who brought it to school said he opened it up last night and there was nothing in it,” Welsh said.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, thank god I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Hell, I took some real, but inactive gernades to my 6th grade class for show and tell, no big deal, everyone though they were "cool". You could unscrew the part with the spoon and look into the hollow gernade body, the fuze was missing and they were safe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Assclown is correct sir!

What would really be funny is if it was a plastic training aid...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LOL, thank god I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Hell, I took some real, but inactive gernades to my 6th grade class for show and tell, no big deal, everyone though they were "cool". You could unscrew the part with the spoon and look into the hollow gernade body, the fuze was missing and they were safe.

You are not kidding!  The other misleading statement in that Article is about the Army owning the Ordnance.  If the Ordnance is live, it belongs to the Army, if it is obviously a legal demilled (demilled shit has been sold for years) piece of Ordnance then the Army will not take it nor destroy it - destruction of civilian property is big NO-NO!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hahah! Amen to that, TNFrank! I remember taking my .22 rifle for the same thing, and recall at least two different boys with those old grenades as well. Imagine a kid walking across a schoolyard today with a rifle in his arms!

The teacher took it from me, checked it correctly to make sure it was not loaded, asked to be sure I had no live ammo (I did not...my dad would have skinned me for that!)  ditto for the other kids (boys, really, the girls mstly held it like a dead fish!) and was totally fine with showing it around. I walked two miles back home with it that afternoon!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Assclown is correct sir!

What would really be funny is if it was a plastic training aid...

Tater, I bet it is a legal demill that has been sold after one of the World Wars!

But having said that, Virginia is full of Dud Ordnance, from Military bases that have closed down in the past were range clearances weren't done very well.   The section of Washington D.C. comes to mind, that a ritzy housing development is built over a chemical weapons impact area!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry, Police Bomb Squad teams don't even get a quarter of the training Military EOD gets by the way!

True about military ordnance and nuclear weapons.  Not true about IED's.  The trouble with Police bomb squads is that some are very well trained while others only have the name.  The majority are somewhere in the miiddle.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]
So they confiscated stole his uncle's war memorabilia?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You are not kidding!  The other misleading statement in that Article is about the Army owning the Ordnance.  If the Ordnance is live, it belongs to the Army, if it is obviously a legal demilled (demilled shit has been sold for years) piece of Ordnance then the Army will not take it nor destroy it - destruction of civilian property is big NO-NO!

Things may have changed, but when I was in, we would take any piece of military ordnance, inert or not.  We would however, only take it from a law enforcement agency.  If a civilian wanted to get rid of a piece of ordnance, they would have to go through local law enforcement.  This was very common with widows cleaning out their late husband's WWII or Korean souvenirs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True about military ordnance and nuclear weapons.  Not true about IED's.  The trouble with Police bomb squads is that some are very well trained while others only have the name.  The majority are somewhere in the miiddle.

I should have added that IED's are their main mission.  I have met some good Police bomb squads but some left me wondering!

Things may have changed, but when I was in, we would take any piece of military ordnance, inert or not. We would however, only take it from a law enforcement agency. If a civilian wanted to get rid of a piece of ordnance, they would have to go through local law enforcement. This was very common with widows cleaning out their late husband's WWII or Korean souvenirs.

That is pretty much the same as of 98 when I got out.  The only thing I would question is the piece of  ordnance a legal demil owned by the kids family, if it is I probably wouldn 't touch it as do the cops have the right to have it destroy?  I remember JAG being very anal about anything dealing with Civilians.

No joke about Widows cleaning out their late husband's souvenirs, I did one incident that was real eye-opener, for example the guy took out the TNT out of  some Mk 2 grenades and had it stored in a smokeless propellent can marked "Hand Grenade Powder"!  Brings a new meaning to fast burning propellent!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top