Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 11:59:55 AM EDT
This fall and winter I am scheduled to have surgery on both my shoulders.  At different times of course.  It will be open surgery to reattach cartiliage to the bone and tighten everything.  

I am wondering how long it will take to be able to handle rifle recoil again?  
How about pistol.

My current problems are from overhead and twisting motions, think spiking a volleyball.  My shoulders are strong any other way.  

Anyone that has had this surgery let me know.  6mos, year?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
A few years ago, I had a screw put into my shooting shoulder to tighten the joint. Think torn rotator, but slightly different.

My brother had his six months before that, for a torn rotator cuff.

Neither of us have difficulties shooting any number of rifles, up to and including that mule-kicking bitch PTR-91. (I've shot 300 Win Mags less abusive)  My biggest problem is that my scar is about 14 sticthes long, and runs right through the pocket where the stocks sits in my shoulder. Seems to make everything sting a little more than it used to.

ETA: To answer the original question, it took 4-5 months to get back into shooting rifles, but pistols were fairly quick to return, with physical therapy doing quite a bit for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Thanks,

I was thinking the scar might be a little sensitive.  I guess I just have to re-load all winter.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Any other experiences?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, it took me about six to ten months after my rotator cuff surgery before I could shoot any rifle with a kick to it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
what surgery is required?  I had a torn rotator cuff and had to have open surgery ( doc tried  arthroscopic but tear was too severe.  before surgery started on heavy exercise routine to build up more strength in shoulders ,upper body.  surgery was a success but rehab was very very hard. you must push to do exercise several hours a day.  I have 100% recovery and no problem shooting rifle, pistl and shotgun.  Rehab takes 4 to 5 months.  good luck   and listen to doctor regarding rehab.   I became the " poster guy" for the doctors seminar on my shoulder surgery.  used my slides and story for doctor seminar.   55 year old guy that is back to normal with rehab.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any other experiences?  

Had a complete roto rooter job on my left shoulder.  Couldn't move the arm for 6 weeks and it was 3 months till I could lift it overhead by myself.  It was the worst pain I had ever felt (until I had my kidney stone, then that was the worst pain I had ever felt, until the herniated disc in my back, that beat them both.)   But back to the shoulder, had a torn rotator, mucho scar tissue from numerous earlier tears and inpingment syndrome where the tendon was being pinched in the shoulder socket.  Hurt like a beotch.  All total it took 6 months to a year to rehab.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Ask your orthopod this question specifically and listen very carefully to the answer.

Don't even think that the answer will be less than 2 months.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The MRI's show the cartilage (labrum) is torn off the socket (glenoid) , they have to reattach it and while in there they are going to tighten the shoulder capsule check the rotator cuff etc.  It will definitely be open surgery, although they are doing arthroscopic exploring first.  

When rehab starts does the should feel unstable?  or super tight?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]

My college roommate had his right shoulder completely rebuilt.

He was shooting my AR 4 months later with no problem.

He wouldn't touch a 12 ga for almost a year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know if this will help, but don't use your shoulder. Move the butt-stock in onto your collarbone area. "the pocket " Think chest muscle. Not the ball of your arm muscle.

Works for me. I can blast 8mm Mauser all day from the pocket. Not a lot of nerve endings there. skeletal system absorbs the impact not soft tissue.

Try it before you get the surgery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top