Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 6:38:18 PM EDT
I am having some weakness in my left shoulder lately...no serious pain, just weakness, but when I sit in the wrong position for too long, I get some cramping and tingling in it.  Does this sound like a pinched nerve or a rotator cuff problem?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like possibly a nerve.  With a rotator cuff injury, you would have had a pretty good injury to cause it, along with pain.  Have you done anything recently that may have injured it?

I had tendonitis in the shoulder once, similar to what you described.  Mine was more a dull pain, no tingling though, that's why I was guessing the nerve.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like possibly a nerve.  With a rotator cuff injury, you would have had a pretty good injury to cause it, along with pain.  Have you done anything recently that may have injured it?

I had tendonitis in the shoulder once, similar to what you described.  Mine was more a dull pain, no tingling though, that's why I was guessing the nerve.

Haven't done anything to hurt it...in fact, it started feeling this way when I woke up a couple weeks ago.  Tendonitis sounds about right, but I don't know about the tingling...that's why I was guessing a pinched nerve.  What did you do for your tendonitis?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you sleep with that arm over your head? Pressing alot of weight over your head? haha...maybe father time is creeping up on you
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you sleep with that arm over your head? Pressing alot of weight over your head? haha...maybe father time is creeping up on you

Yes to all three...  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I still bench press but don't lift alot over my head while standing or inclined...also, try not to sleep with your arm up over your head...pinches nerves....I stopped sleeping like that and the tingling went away.

Damn that aging!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, I feel this the worst in the front of my shoulder, and the weakness is mostly evident while benching.  I can still military press fairly good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]
interesting...body variances maybe....adjust your sleeping position and see what happens...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't done anything to hurt it...in fact, it started feeling this way when I woke up a couple weeks ago.  Tendonitis sounds about right, but I don't know about the tingling...that's why I was guessing a pinched nerve.  What did you do for your tendonitis?

It's been a few years, but from what I remember all they gave me was an anti-inflammatory and told me to avoid straining it for a couple weeks.  Sorry, I know that's kind of vague, but I get hurt a lot and it's hard to remember, except for the REALLY painful LOL.  Generally they patch me up with ibuprofen and ice, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off.  

I also take glucosamine sulfate for my joints, been taking that since I was 26 or so (32 now).  If you do a lot of lifting and you're in my age bracket, you might consider it.  

For what it's worth:  They way I remember the Dr. checking my rotator cuff was having me hold my arm out, with my elbow bent about 45*, with my hand even with my shoulder.  Then, she applied pressure to my hand, toward each side, telling me to resist.  I didn't have any pain during that, and that was how she ruled out the rotator cuff and diagnosed tendonitis.  I'm no Dr., but that's what they did to rule it out.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin for years now.
Tried that rotator cuff test and didn't feel any pain.  I didn't think that was it because it didn't hurt that bad...just had weakness in it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine does that all the time. But its the worst when I sleep with my arms over my head. I injured my shoulder about 3 years ago Doc said I just strained it real good but didnt tear anything. Ever since then its has done it. as long as I sleep right I am good to go. Lifting weights and working out doesnt bother it at all actually makes it feel better.

Also maybe quit benching for a while. Do hand stand push ups, shoulder presses, bend forward a little when doing dips, and push ups instead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh how I wish I was still a team member here so I could dig up the post from a couple of years ago where I predicted that one day you'd have problems with your joints, and that these problems would come on all of a sudden, with no warning.  No one can do a 1 rep max every workout and not pay for it eventually, especially when you're pushing over 300lbs.  Muscles respond well to that, but joints don't.  I hope your shoulder gets better, but if you're like me and so many other weightlifters I know, this is only the beginning of your problems.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Oh how I wish I was still a team member here so I could dig up the post from a couple of years ago where I predicted that one day you'd have problems with your joints, and that these problems would come on all of a sudden, with no warning.  No one can do a 1 rep max every workout and not pay for it eventually, especially when you're pushing over 300lbs.  Muscles respond well to that, but joints don't.  I hope your shoulder gets better, but if you're like me and so many other weightlifters I know, this is only the beginning of your problems.  Good luck.

First of all, the problem is with a tendon, not a joint.  
Second, I didn't do a 1 rep max every workout, just one workout a week.
Third, I haven't been doing that workout for over a year---I switch out periodically.
But I am so glad for you that you had your brief moment in the sun when you THOUGHT you could say "I told you so."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top