Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/20/2017 5:40:11 PM EDT
Since the big threat to free speech today is actually coming from the private sector in the form of "if we can't have you thrown in jail, we can at least get you fired from your job", should there be a law that prohibits your employer from discriminating on the basis of your opinions? In other words, should there be a "civil rights" style law to protect free speech?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since the big threat to free speech today is actually coming from the private sector in the form of "if we can't have you thrown in jail, we can at least get you fired from your job", should there be a law that prohibits your employer from discriminating on the basis of your opinions? In other words, should there be a "civil rights" style law to protect free speech?
View Quote

If the employer is not a government entity then no way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
No, we have too many of those already.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yay more laws
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
No. Employers should be able to hire/fire at will. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
More laws are seldom the answer.

Every time an employer fires someone, they will claim the firing was over this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
So let's say my employee stands on the street corner on his own time with a sign advocating for pedophilia.   It's his opinion. Are you saying I should be barred from sacking the sick fuck?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
No, if someone comes into an organization with vastly different views than the majority there, it creates conflict in the work place and the employer should be able to fire someone because of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depending on the state, such laws already exist.
They just are infrequently or indifferently enforced.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Of course not.

You have a right to behave like an asshole.

Your boss has a right to keep your asshole behavior from hurting his business.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#14]
passage voice useage should be regulated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
No.  Private means just that.  Private.  If you owned a business, you wouldnt want the government telling you how you can or cant run it.  Dont start asking it to tell others how to run theirs so that your feelings can be protected.  This is the EXACT same shit the left keeps asking for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
 No
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No.

You should be abled to be fired for just about anything.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, among them are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that to secure these rights government's are instituted among men...

The greatest and most important right of any person is their right to speak their minds. The greatest difference between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom is that we are able to consume information, process it, form opinions on it and express those opinions. The liberty to express those opinions without fear of reprisal is the key  difference between free people and the oppressed. 

If our government cannot secure for us the right to express our opinions without fear of reprisal, then what good is our government? What difference does it make to an oppressed person if their oppressor is a government or an employer? If you cannot express your own opinions out of fear of losing your livelihood then can you truly consider yourself to be free?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
That would be yet another stupid law.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This.   LESS Goobermint, not more.

Quoted:
And this.  The EEOC (IIRC) that states you CANNOT fire who you want is another thing that needs to be un-done.  If I don't like blacks?  Don't hire them, or fire them if I please.  Don't like fags?  Again, then I should not have to hire them, or fire them if I please.  That Tom Hanks movie Philadelphia from 1993 was B.S.: If I don't like someone, what the fuck business is it of the goobermint?   They had to do a song-and-dance to come up with a phony excuse to fire him; why could they not simply say, "Sorry, we don't like faggots, yer fired."   Where in the Constitution or BOR does it say this is any affair of Uncle Sam?

The problem is that now, we are playing with a stacked deck.  There are laws against not hiring or firing someone b/c of their gender, skin color, being a faggot, or their religion; there are ZERO laws protecting normal white hetero males.   Take all these anti-freedom laws down; this is none of .gov's affair.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep your opinions to yourself and do your job.  No problemo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Some states already protect employees from being fired or punished for legal activities outside of work.

What the left is actively doing is basically AROCKing people who disagree with them and bombarding their employers on social media, with emails, phone calls, and in person, until the employer gives in and fires the person. This is even though they have done nothing wrong other than land in the crosshairs of an sjw mob
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
In that case, everyone here is willing to be fired from their private employer because they have posted on AR15.com. OK, so why the "AROCK" butthurt? Shouldn't you all just consider it part and parcel of being a gun owner?

If a person uses their position or employment as a platform for speech, then I understand it. If it is private speech that does not affect the company or employee performance, then people should be protected. You shouldn't have to worry about being fired from Megacorp because your immediate supervisor is a leftist who hates gun owners.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Employment at Will.
My business my Rules.
Got it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tell that to the guy who went to the Charlottesville rally, did nothing but march peacefully and was fired from his job because he was identified on Twitter by ANTIFA as a face out of the crowd.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

nope.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope.  

As an employee, you already have the right to choose between your paycheck and your opinions.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hacker gets into AR15.com and steals membership info. Puts you on a "FIRE" list on DU. Your leftist manager reads it and fires you because GUNS and UNSTABLE RIGHT-WINGER. You've always done an excellent job, and been social with co-workers. Now, you can't get a job because of your "termination for cause", and because your manager expresses "concerns" about you when called for a reference/ background. Tell me again how that is fair?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nope.  

As an employee, you already have the right to choose between your paycheck and your opinions.
View Quote
Hmmmm..... that's how the Communist Party worked in the USSR. Interesting view, there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So let's say my employee stands on the street corner on his own time with a sign advocating for pedophilia.   It's his opinion. Are you saying I should be barred from sacking the sick fuck?
View Quote
Oh what a deadly web we weave...

Totally agree, more laws are not the answer to these issues.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Where I a business owner I would like to hold onto the ability to fire ANTIFA/commies.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#33]
On the clock or off the clock?

As a simple yes or no though, no.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#34]
No

A public opinion can negatively effect a companies image.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#36]
No.  Fuck off with that shit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell no.

I should be able to fire a motherfucker for whatever reason I want.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hacker gets into AR15.com and steals membership info. Puts you on a "FIRE" list on DU. Your leftist manager reads it and fires you because GUNS and UNSTABLE RIGHT-WINGER. You've always done an excellent job, and been social with co-workers. Now, you can't get a job because of your "termination for cause", and because your manager expresses "concerns" about you when called for a reference/ background. Tell me again how that is fair?
View Quote
Now back to real life......  Everybody at my work knows I'm a big gun guy and know I even own full autos and suppressors.  This includes my manager, who doesn't understand the point of owning FA, to my chief engineer that's based out of Europe.   Turns out, nobody really cares if you behave like normal human being and don't associate yourself with extremists....

Social conformity, that's how societies survive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed, but that isn't currently the situation. 

What we have is a double standard where you can be fired for conservative views but not for liberal views.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
just do what people did before there was social media, and keep your beliefs to your fucking self at work.
View Quote
Most of the people losing their jobs for expressing their opinions are getting fired for what they do o personal time, not on company time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Opinions aren't the issue, behavior is.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#43]
As a business owner, I should be able to fire anyone, anytime, with no reason given. That's actually how it is in Florida. Thank God!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Realistically, most liberals are already in a protected class and they could attribute their firing to being a member of that class.

Conservatives are in large part, NOT a member of a protected class and can be fired because they cannot link their views to their status within a protected class.

Darwin could easily pick which group will progressively gain more power in the workplace.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#45]
No. They should be free to spend their money as they see fit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#46]
So ARFCOM wants a law passed much like what we have here in California?  That's a first. Haha.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Stupidity should hurt. The .gov MAYBE (in caps because I'm not sure anymore) can't violate  the 1st. But you live and die by your words in the private sector.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, among them are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that to secure these rights government's are instituted among men...

The greatest and most important right of any person is their right to speak their minds. The greatest difference between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom is that we are able to consume information, process it, form opinions on it and express those opinions. The liberty to express those opinions without fear of reprisal is the key  difference between free people and the oppressed. 

If our government cannot secure for us the right to express our opinions without fear of reprisal, then what good is our government? What difference does it make to an oppressed person if their oppressor is a government or an employer? If you cannot express your own opinions out of fear of losing your livelihood then can you truly consider yourself to be free?
View Quote
Government exists to keep you from getting fired?

lol, ok.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I work in the oilfield. You won't get fired for your retarded and unpopular opinions, you'll quit.

The 2 acceptable work-related topics of conversation are 1, how fucked up the job at hand is/upcoming job will be, and 2, how bad everyone's getting fucked.

The 4 non work-related topics of conversation are 1, guns, 2, bow hunting, 3, trucks, and 4, pussy. If you have something to say that is not related to any or all of those 6 topics, shut the fuck up, because ain't nobody got time for that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Liberty vs license
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top