Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 3:36:38 PM EDT

Police say 76-year-old Mary Green of Warrenton, Va., was thrown from the
motorcycle as it rode up an embankment and 79-year-old Walter Green was
knocked to the ground when the motorcycle hit a wooden post and rail.

Story here

On one hand you have the fact that if it's legal,  do what you want.   On the other , at some age is an elderly easy rider a hazard to others?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:40:15 PM EDT
It would make a lot more sense to require the elderly to ONLY ride motorcycles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:40:56 PM EDT
No....  
Young idiots are more of a hazard than old people....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:41:37 PM EDT
NO.

Next question.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:42:18 PM EDT
I dont have a problem with a yearly type of license test for our elder drivers.
I mean there are plenty of people up in years that I have no problem with them driving, and there are those who do not need to be driving.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:43:19 PM EDT
Should there be an upper age limit or additional testing for older drivers of motorcycles?

Sure, as long as there is a minimum age limit to keep the 20-somethings from lane splitting on the expressway at 150MPH.

WITH A PASSENGER!

Yeah, I'm old.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:44:51 PM EDT
My 72 year old father who passes his annual safety test while riding a Goldwing does not approve of this thread.

He can ride a Goldwing better then most of us.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:47:42 PM EDT
Uhm, no to your question.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:47:49 PM EDT

Quoted:

My 72 year old father who passes his annual safety test while riding a Goldwing does not approve of this thread.

Is it an annual test due to age for all vehicles or just for motorcycle?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:48:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:48:13 PM EDT
Quoted:
NO.

Next question.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:48:57 PM EDT

I ride motorcycles and I have seen alot more young people kill themselves on street bikes. I think a liceense that allows you to ride AFTER the age of 30 would be a better idea if you go by the injury stats out there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:50:18 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it an annual test due to age for all vehicles or just for motorcycle?

he is a member of the Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc and he takes the safety test as part of qualification or rank or something. He took the last test back in November.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:50:54 PM EDT

Quoted:

I ride motorcycles and I have seen alot more young people kill themselves on street bikes. I think a liceense that allows you to ride AFTER the age of 30 would be a better idea if you go by the injury stats out there.

That and a graduated license, limiting displacement until you have two years of accident free riding.  Or 20k miles or so.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:51:13 PM EDT
Sure.

We restrict people that we consider too young to drive safely, why not ones that are too old?

I think we should have a much stricter and comprehensive driving test and allow anyone that can pass it to drive, no matter their age.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:52:25 PM EDT
Stricter limits on getting drivers licenses is the only increase in government restriction I support.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:01:20 PM EDT
Quoted:
Sure.

We restrict people that we consider too young to drive safely, why not ones that are too old?

I think we should have a much stricter and comprehensive driving test and allow anyone that can pass it to drive, no matter their age.

Heil Hitler.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:03:15 PM EDT
Yes. I really do think so.

Also a mental evaluation.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1179546
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:11:39 PM EDT
Come to Florida and see what damage the old farts can do with four wheels. If they get hurt on a bike, it's usually only them. Get them in a car and they kill a LOT of people and they don't have to be going fast to kill. Hell, they can just back right over you in a parking lot. Seriously!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:15:55 PM EDT
Quoted:
Come to Florida and see what damage the old farts can do with four wheels. If they get hurt on a bike, it's usually only them. Get them in a car and they kill a LOT of people and they don't have to be going fast to kill. Hell, they can just back right over you in a parking lot. Seriously!

There are stupid young people there, too. Some dumb bitch hit my grandfather as he was pulling out of his neighborhood. After the accident, he was hospitalized for a long time, which really hurt his mental state. He lost the will to live shortly after.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:17:11 PM EDT
No, same as anything else. As long as they can safetly operate the vehicle then so be it.

However handicap tags on motorcycles...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:23:03 PM EDT
A driving test should be given periodically for all drivers.  I think elderly are probably the safest of the bunch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:25:22 PM EDT
Down here in FL. where I live there's a motorcycle test of sorts,it's called a road with turns.All the old riders do OK on straight roads but get them on a twisty road and they kill themselves all the time. Mostly old Harley cruiser riders that cant hold there bike on a turn.

I have a 16 mile dead end road that goes to the Gulf of Mexico called Ozello Trail that has flowers marking the spot where they crash and burn on just about every turn. It's almost like moths to a flame.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:26:19 PM EDT
Quoted:
No....  

this,,  if they are old then they must be doing it right to still be alive

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:36:02 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

Heil Hitler.

Since you did nothing to address my point, I'll just assume you're an 88 pledging allegiance to your Fuhrer
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:36:14 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
No....  

this,,  if they are old then they must be doing it right to still be alive

He speaks the truth.

OP, who pays for this testing? And who do we trust to administer the tests? The DMV?  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:39:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:58:25 PM EDT
You don't "drive" a motorcycle.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:02:55 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

Heil Hitler.

Incidentally, the Germans do driving restrictions a lot better than we do. We should follow their example.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:03:55 PM EDT
yes. and for older car drivers after a certain age.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:04:18 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure.

Heil Hitler.

Incidentally, the Germans do driving restrictions a lot better than we do. We should follow their example.

Mainly because they don't need a bunch of "Americans" on the Autobahn.

And by "Americans", I mean stupid fucks that guessed 17/20 on a multiple choice test.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.