BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:14:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the circumstances. Some people are assholes and push their luck.

As for the case of certain breeds clearly bred for size and aggressiveness, absolutely.  I would include Pits, Rotties, Dobies in that. You want a dog that is capable of killing humans and has been shown many times to do so, then you should pay the consequences in both time and money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Any animal is the responsibility of it's owner, regardless of the breed.  There are more bad owners than bad animals. Usually the owner makes the animal mean on purpose which makes it more important to keep it under control at all times.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
a dog's behavior is a direct result of their owner.  every single EVERY vicious dog i have encountered has been treated like crap by its owners, and thus became a problem dog.  I grew up with german shepherds and they were all very calm, loyal, and docile dogs because that is how we raised them.

owners should be held accountable for their dogs
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't vote because it depends.

Dog that shows no signs and does something out of the blue= No

Dog with aggressive past and proof of totally irresponsible owners=Yes

GM
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Only if the parents of children are subjected to the same type of law.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Has the dog bitten anyone in the past? If so they have a history of violent behavior and if the owner doesn't put them down, they should be responsible for another bit.

If a dog has never attacked anyone before, and just snaps and attakcs someone, I don't think the owner should be responsible for that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd be happier if people who raped, injured or killed humans were jailed for their actions for a suitable amount of time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am for something along those lines as well.  There should be repercussions for being a shitty parent.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of different circumstance before you can really answer.  Where was the attack.  Was it in my fenced in yard and someone jumped the fence?  Did it happen because my dog got loose?  I dont think there is a blanket answer - each case has to looked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Has the dog bitten anyone in the past? If so they have a history of violent behavior and if the owner doesn't put them down, they should be responsible for another bit.

If a dog has never attacked anyone before, and just snaps and attakcs someone, I don't think the owner should be responsible for that.

I disagree. If a person takes on the responsiblity to own said animals and it attacks someone the owner should go to jail. I don't care if it's the so called first time for the animal to act out.

If you own any type of animal that is capable of killing or seriously injuring someone, you should be prepared to face the consequences.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Lots of different circumstance before you can really answer.  Where was the attack.  Was it in my fenced in yard and someone jumped the fence?  Did it happen because my dog got loose?  I dont think there is a blanket answer - each case has to looked.

Why should it matter? Kid jumps your fence and your dog kills him, you should go to jail.

Pretty simple to me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should it matter? Kid jumps your fence and your dog kills him, you should go to jail.

Pretty simple to me.

I don't know Bama-Shooter.

Then that would include anything dangerous in your fenced backyard?

Swimming pool?

GM
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple to me.

Swimming pool?

GM

If you do not have your swimming pool fenced in you are responsible for deaths. But a swimming pool is not a living thing. It's not going to escape, seek out and hurt someone all on it's own.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Do not pass go.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Kill the dog first, if he attacks anyone.
If any people were harmed by the dog, then decide if it is the owner's fault.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes.

And if your gun is stolen by another person, and that person shoots someone with your gun, you go to jail for failure to secure your potentially dangerous tool/s.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes.

And if your gun is stolen by another person, and that person shoots someone with your gun, you go to jail for failure to secure your potentially dangerous tool/s.

Did you come up with that all by yourself?  Dogs are not guns.
Comparing a live dangerous animal to a harmless inanimate object is just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yes.

Apples and oranges.

Move along.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.

Apples and oranges.

Move along.

Gotta love the double standards!

Apples and oranges? It's the SAME knee jerk reaction.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes it is apples and oranges.

A gun is an inanimate object incapable of shooting someone on its own.  Just as with any tool, you are not responsibile (or at least you shouldn't be) if someone else takes it and uses it to cause harm.

An animal has the capability of causing harm on its own.  As its owner, you have a reasonable responsibility to see that it doesn't cause anyone harm.  

That doesn't mean you're responsible if your dog bites the neigbor's kid because he was poking it with a sharp stick.   It means you're responsible if your dog chases the neighbor's kid down the street and mauls him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple to me.

Whoa there. You think dog owners should be responsible if someone tresspasses on their property and the dog attacks? That is pretty whacked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the situation. Just because someone "owns  dog capable of killing or injuring a person" doesnt mean they should go to jail if the dog gets out and bites someone unless it is ABSOLUTLY the owners fault. Almost ANY dog is capable of killing or injuring a person. A smaller dog CAN rip your throat out too.

Unless the owner has DELIBERATLY trained the dog to be mean and aggressive I say NO.

ETA- IMO this is the same type of emotionally driven BS the anti's use to try and take our guns
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Owners go to jail for their animals actions?

Yes, if they are responsible for the animals actions through training (or lack thereof), abuse, or other environmental reasons.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.

Apples and oranges.

Move along.

Gotta love the double standards!

Apples and oranges? It's the SAME knee jerk reaction.

One is an animal that can operate on its own.  The other is an inanimate object.  Difference.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A gun is an inanimate object incapable of shooting someone on its own.  Just as with any tool, you are not responsibile (or at least you shouldn't be) if someone else takes it and uses it to cause harm.

An animal has the capability of causing harm on its own.  As its owner, you have a reasonable responsibility to see that it doesn't cause anyone harm.  

That doesn't mean you're responsible if your dog bites the neigbor's kid because he was poking it with a sharp stick.   It means you're responsible if your dog chases the neighbor's kid down the street and mauls him.

A human being with a gun is an inanimate object?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Too absolute to vote on.

I see it mostly as a civil matter of negligence but I could see certain cases where jail could be warranted, such as if the animal were sic'ed on a person or otherwise provoked by the owner to attack. Or if the animal had been trained/abused to attack and the owner failed to cover due diligence.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I would think its criminal when there's an additional negligence in the keeping of the dog.  For example, allowing it to run freely, if you know its a "biter", if you put it in situations where it can harm someone, etc.

If your pooch attacks and kills a human on yoru property and it has never shown aggression before....I'd say no criminal liability.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I agree.

I was at a play ground one time with my kids and there was a man with his kid and black lab. Typical lab nice temperment etc. Well there were these 2 punks who kept harrasing the dog. I would guess they were 13 or so. The owner kept trying to get them to stop. Well one dumb shit poked the dog in the eye with a stick, while the owner was yelling at the kids to leave the dog alone.

The dog took a big chunk out of the kids face. While 20 minutes earlier my twins 1 at the time were playing nicely with the dog no problems. I happened to be there when the cops came and told them what really happened. The kid told his dad the dog just attacked him. I told the cops he was full of shit, that he poked the dog in the face with a stick after being told repeatedly to leave the dog alone. No charges were filled against the owner of the dog. Had I not been there to witness it the dog would probably have been put down and maybe even a lawsuit.

So a cut and dry law with no room for common sense is useless and will jail alot of inocent people because some dumb shit kid harrased a peaceful dog.

And as far as problem dogs they are the same as problem guns. We don't need any "assault dog" laws or bans. If it is a bad dog it is the owners fault period. I have lived around Pitts, Rotties, Dobermans etc and they were all fine and from various backgrounds. The only problem dogs I have encountered were always the product of abusive owners. So the working dog haters need to get a clue. It is just the same liberal bull shit trying to blame a thing for human behavior. She a Rottie looks big and scary, so does an AK47 to most people. As long as the owners are 1/4 of the way decent people the dog will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#29]
So a kid jumps into my yard, my dog attacks, and I should go to jail? That's some fucked up logic.

Don't jump my fence. My dog was defending my property. In my yard = fair game.

However, if I raise my dog to attack everything it sees, and it goes on a neighborhood rampage, yes, I should be held responsible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A human being with a gun is an inanimate object?

It should be a given that you aren't responsible for the actions of other humans.  The gun is the inanimate object.  

Are you trying to be dense on purpose?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#31]
If your dog hurts someone, I think you should be responsible for all medical bills and the dog should be put down. My .02.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple to me.

3rd dumbest shit I have read on ARFCOM.

Kid jumps my fence to rape my daughter.....

Kid jumps my fence to steal my guns....

Kid jumps my fence to burn my house down....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
a dog's behavior is a direct result of their owner.  every single EVERY vicious dog i have encountered has been treated like crap by its owners, and thus became a problem dog.  I grew up with german shepherds and they were all very calm, loyal, and docile dogs because that is how we raised them.

owners should be held accountable for their dogs

They are.  Financially.

My only exception to that would be if you used the dog in a mannor that would make it a weapon.  "Sick 'em" or "go get 'em".  Dogs are living creatures with a will of thier own otherwise, and unless you can prove the dog is vicious and the owner intentionaly made it such then financial liability is where it should end.

Yeah!!!  Lets put people in jail for things an animal does!!!  That'll right teach 'em.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. If a person takes on the responsiblity to own said animals and it attacks someone the owner should go to jail. I don't care if it's the so called first time for the animal to act out.

If you own any type of animal that is capable of killing or seriously injuring someone, you should be prepared to face the consequences.

Absoulute criminal liability huh?  

That's the first thing I've seen that really lowers my opinion of you.  Next you'll tell me you want parents of kids thown in jail for the actions of the child.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suppose it's a police dog that bites someone it shouldn't.  Should the cop go to jail?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absoulute criminal liability huh?  

That's the first thing I've seen that really lowers my opinion of you.  Next you'll tell me you want parents of kids thown in jail for the actions of the child.

Parents can be locked up for truancy.

Lot's people own animals they can't or won't control. If they hurt someone the owner should be responsible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suppose it's a police dog that bites someone it shouldn't.  Should the cop go to jail?

Good question. Does the bite require a trip to the ER or morgue?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#38]
If it is on your property, no. If it is off your property, yes.

Basicly enter at your own risk if you are scared, stay the hell away.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Morgue....and the dead guy jumped the fence into a cops backyard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Morgue....and the dead guy jumped the fence into a cops backyard.

Dog should have been secured. See ya.

But: Police k9's are kept in a kennel cage in the yard not allowed to roam free. So I don't see this happening.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]
The owner is supposed to have their animal under their immediate control at all times. That means they are responsible if the dog does something wrong.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple to me.

Swimming pool?

GM

If you do not have your swimming pool fenced in you are responsible for deaths. But a swimming pool is not a living thing. It's not going to escape, seek out and hurt someone all on it's own.

I figuired you would probably go that route, which is logical by the way.

So should a dog owner...

1) Have a fenced yard
2) And have the dog chained
3) And have the dog muzzled
4) And only own a very small dog

Just in case some one should jump the fence ( This is assuming that the owner of the dog had no clue
that "Fluffy" might attack someone because it never showed aggression in the past)

The backyard pool owner could...

1) Have a fenced yard
2) And a pool cover
3) And have a full time lifeguard
4) Or just drain the pool between uses

Some things just happen with nobody to blame.

GM

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple to me.

Swimming pool?

GM

I figuired you would probably go that route, which is logical by the way.

So should a dog owner...

1) Have a fenced yard
2) And have the dog chained
3) And have the dog muzzled
4) And only own a very small dog

Just in case some one should jump the fence ( This is assuming that the owner of the dog had no clue
that "Fluffy" might attack someone because it never showed aggression in the past)

The backyard pool owner could...

1) Have a fenced yard
2) And a pool cover
3) And have a full time lifeguard
4) Or just drain the pool between uses

Some things just happen with nobody to blame.

GM

Make it simple. Don't own an animal bred to kill. Makes it a lot simpler.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Dogs are PREDATORS, they were (through natural selection) made to "Kill", So basically since all dog are related to wolves they were bred to kill.

Lets just outlaw dogs, No dogs for ANYONE even the Police You know, for the children
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Dogs are PREDATORS, they were (through natural selection) made to "Kill", So basically since all dog are related to wolves they were bred to kill.

Lets just outlaw dogs, No dogs for ANYONE even the Police You know, for the children

Now your going down the semantics trail.

But when it comes to Pits, rotts, chows, etc...these dogs are known for biting, mauling and killing. Owners of such breeds should be prepared to spend some time behind bars if their animals harm humans.

According to the poll most agree with jail time for owners.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow, I'm glad I'm not your neighbor.

Your world is just too absolute.

Life has risks.

GM
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Wow, I'm glad I'm not your neighbor.

Your world is just too absolute.

Life has risks.

GM

I have no problems with risks. But if your animal mauls or kills someone you should pay the price. Both with money and time behind bars.

If some of these folks whose animals mauled or killed others were locked up. There would be less problems with those type animals.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Pretty simple to me.

If you do not have your swimming pool fenced in you are responsible for deaths. But a swimming pool is not a living thing. It's not going to escape, seek out and hurt someone all on it's own

Wow Bama seems to me you are using a double standard there.
If my dog is in my back yard fenced I should go to jail if someone jumps the fence and gets bitten.

If someone jumps your fence and drowns in your pool you should not have to go to jail because your yard is fenced.

BTW lets just go under the assumption that this is taking place in our back yards not out on the street (my dog is never allowed out without being under control).
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty simple to me.

If you do not have your swimming pool fenced in you are responsible for deaths. But a swimming pool is not a living thing. It's not going to escape, seek out and hurt someone all on it's own

Wow Bama seems to me you are using a double standard there.
If my dog is in my back yard fenced I should go to jail if someone jumps the fence and gets bitten.

If someone jumps your fence and drowns in your pool you should not have to go to jail because your yard is fenced.

BTW lets just go under the assumption that this is taking place in our back yards not out on the street (my dog is never allowed out without being under control).

I don't see it as being a double standard.

The pool cannot attack. It just sits there.

An animal has a will of it's own and can attack.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I just cannot fathom how folks keep comparing a living animal to inanimate objects.

Has your pool ever dug out from the back yard and dragged a kid off her bike two blocks over?  Has your Bird feeder ever gotten out thru an unlocked gate and mauled the neighbor? Has your patio furniture ever attacked the mailman?

Guys, if you have to reach THAT far to make a point you don't have one in the first place.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top