Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:24:55 PM EDT
I think Vince decided to go to the draft because of the Texans having #1 pic.  He is from houston and would love to start his career there.

what do yall think they will do?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL.... in terms of filling the seats, they better take Vince. Very tough choices ahead of them. Carr is not that good.  But it sounds like he will stay. As long as they work on that Oline..... I dont give a damn who they pick.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he is the type of quarteback that would be good for the Texans...one who can run and get out of jams....the problem is you don't win championships with that type of quarterback...not in the NFL...Defenses eventually eat them up...

Quarterbacks like Vick, the type of QB Vince Young would  just don't have quite what it takes...Yes, they are fantastic atheletes and help out the team but they end up relying on their running skills too much...

I think he will prolly go though...

If I were the Texans though...I would do a lot of hagling and get a bunch of first round picks and good trades and build an O-line that can actually do its job....Carr can hang if he could get some time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The Texans have already stated they will take Bush.

(reported on ESPN)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]

They should trade their first round pick for a collection of players. They need help all over, not just at one postion.

One good-great quarterback or running back does not a team make.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
David Carr was so despondent about the Texans losing season, he tried to commit suicide with a pistol Monday night.

He pulled the trigger but before it reached his head, the bullet was intercepted.

Badda bing. Try the veal and tip your waitresses.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You take Bush.

Then you offer David Carr and Dominick Davis to New Orleans and take Vince Young.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You take Bush.

Then you offer David Carr and Dominick Davis to New Orleans and take Vince Young.

Damn...that's good thinking!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Why?  So they can watch Vince run around a little bit longer before being forced into making a bad throw or get sacked?  The Texans have alot of problems, the QB isn't one of them.  The Texans need someone to take heat off of the QB, not make him an ever bigger target.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You take Bush.

This is what I think they should do, but it is not gonna happen.
the saints dont want david carr either

I think that Young is a good start for an improving offense.  He is a great leader on and off the field.

Bush has stated that he does not want to play for the texans.  If he goes there he will end up being another Cedric Benson from last year.  Stuck on a team where he does not want to play, crying about it like a bitch, and end up not playing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It nearly always makes sense to trade a #1.  How many dominant players were picked #1?  How many QBs picked #1 went to the Super Bowl? etc....it's usually a better deal to get multiple picks in exchange, if possible.

If you absolutely need a QB Young would seem hard to resist but you'd have to re-do an offense for him.  Bush will be a better than average back/receiver in the NFL but not dominant.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think he is the type of quarteback that would be good for the Texans...one who can run and get out of jams....the problem is you don't win championships with that type of quarterback...not in the NFL...Defenses eventually eat them up...

Quarterbacks like Vick, the type of QB Vince Young would  just don't have quite what it takes...Yes, they are fantastic atheletes and help out the team but they end up relying on their running skills too much...

Young is faster stronger and bigger than Vick, not to mention that he has a better arm.  He picked apart the USC defense 30 out of 40 times and rushed for 200 yards during the NC game
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They should trade their first round pick for a collection of players. They need help all over, not just at one postion.

Absolutely. Do what the other Texas team did in the late '80s with Hershel Walker. They used his trade to the Vikings to build a team that became the dynasty of the '90s.

I'd rather have any other first round pick, plus a second and third round pick for the #1 this year.

In a heartbeat. None of the first three picks (Bush, Young, Leinhart) are good enough to transform a team into anything other than what it is already.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You take Bush.

Except for the part where you now have to find a full-time back, because Bush is a 10-15 carry RB.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
None of the first three picks (Bush, Young, Leinhart) are good enough to transform a team into anything other than what it is already.

BUT one of those would be a good base
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You take Bush.

Except for the part where you now have to find a full-time back, because Bush is a 10-15 carry RB.

With VY and Bush you wouldn't have to run many offensive plays.

Of course it would be hard to win against great defensive teams.......but it would be fun to watch.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You take Bush.

Why?  Because Pete Carroll was blessed with two studs, Bush can't handle the load?

For the record, they also possess Jonathan Wells -- to spell Bush.  6'1" 252lbs.

If they got Vince Young in the deal you have two running backs on the field at all times.

Just like the Falcons.  Except Young has shown he can actually complete passes, unlike Vick.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#17]
With Bush and Young you could run one hell of an option offense.

Now we just need them on the Cowboys
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
None of the first three picks (Bush, Young, Leinhart) are good enough to transform a team into anything other than what it is already.

BUT a bad team will still be bad with any of the three. A good team that is on the cusp will part with two or three picks for the #1 (Bush).

If I was in charge of the Texans, I'd be shopping the #1 pick to the highest bidder.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

For the first five quarters of the season, anyway. Then Vince Young would be on IR and Bush would be getting pounded because he's the only weapon left.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT a bad team will still be bad with any of the three. A good team that is on the cusp will part with two or three picks for the #1 (Bush).

If I was in charge of the Texans, I'd be shopping the #1 pick to the highest bidder.

I completely agree.  They have bigger problems, but Carr has shown that he is not a QB to bring a team up with.  Why not get a fresh start?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the first five quarters of the season, anyway. Then Vince Young would be on IR and Bush would be getting pounded because he's the only weapon left.

You forget that Young can pass the ball also

If you have the threat of Young and Bush runnin the ball, those recievers will be open
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They have bigger problems, but Carr has shown that he is not a QB to bring a team up with.  Why not get a fresh start?

Atlanta's a wayyyyyyyyyyy better team than Houson. Atlanta still can't overcome Vick's shortcomings to become an elite team.

Vince Young would have no chance to do diddly with such a pathetic team as Houston is right now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I have watched VY play every down of his UT career.(I believe)

I really believe he has a will to win like that of a Montana.

I am not ready to call him an NFL MVP just yet.......but he will be a huge star.

On the right team, with good recievers and a power running game that can take time off the clock and wear defenses...he will bring an intangable that will be impossible to stop. (like picking up 3rd downs late in the game )
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They have bigger problems, but Carr has shown that he is not a QB to bring a team up with.  Why not get a fresh start?

Atlanta's a wayyyyyyyyyyy better team than Houson. Atlanta still can't overcome Vick's shortcomings to become an elite team.

Vince Young would have no chance to do diddly with such a pathetic team as Houston is right now.

Young is better than Vick

I never said that Atlanta was better they need work as well but that is aonther debate.

With better coaching (majority of staff was fired at end of season) the rest of the offense will come around, But the Texasn need a qb and Carr cannot handle the load
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

case in point--the "WhoDey" Bengals--carson palmer is out--team is done right then

one dimensional is bad--trade for more picks
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have watched VY play every down of his UT career.(I believe)

I really believe he has a will to win like that of a Montana.

I am not ready to call him an NFL MVP just yet.......but he will be a huge star.

On the right team, with good recievers and a power running game that can take time off the clock and wear defenses...he will bring an intangable that will be impossible to stop. (like picking up 3rd downs late in the game )

you are right on track
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Houston needs more than a marquee player to improve.  Vince looks great and Bush does too, and maybe they both will develop into a good Pros, but the Texans need help at several positions.  Trade the first pick and use it to reinforce the franchise.  Carr is OK for now.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Houston needs more than a marquee player to improve.  Vince looks great and Bush does too, and maybe they both will develop into a good Pros, but the Texans need help at several positions.  Trade the first pick and use it to reinforce the franchise.  Carr is OK for now.  

Why would you not start building with a #1 pic?

It takes a shitty team to get where the texans are why not take advantage of it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm guessing Vince is hoping that Reggie and Matt will go 1-2, and he will go 3rd. Steve McNair has been a big influence on him, and would make a great mentor for a young quarterback.......
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Carr -the poor kid - never had a chance with an offensive line like that...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
 the Texans need help at several positions.  Trade the first pick and use it to reinforce the franchise.  Carr is OK for now.  

Exactly! I have my doubts about Carr, but I am willing to give him another shot with an improved line and some better talent around him, coaching and otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

A lot of that had to do with shitty coaching
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of that had to do with shitty coaching

Yes, that too.

I liken him to a "Snake" Plummer, but with a better arm.

He can be successful...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#34]
What about Houston gets Bush and Dallas trades up for Young!!!!

It probally will not happen but I can dream!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#35]
How about drafting that kid from Vanderbilt?

Jay Cutler?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How about drafting that kid from Vanderbilt?

Jay Cutler?

Dont get your hopes up
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#37]
He's good.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I am glad someone else sees this.  I sometimes wonder if the network and local sports guys are watching the same games I am.  Vick is not even a mediocre quarterback, yet all you hear is the hype.  They are gonna screw around, lose Matt Shaub (who will tire of playing behind an inferior quarterback), and the Brett Favre story will repeat itself.

Oh, Vick is a great athlete, he justs needs to be playing another position.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Im not saying he is not.
Just not a top 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am glad someone else sees this.  I sometimes wonder if the network and local sports guys are watching the same games I am.  Vick is not even a mediocre quarterback, yet all you hear is the hype.  They are gonna screw around, lose Matt Shaub (who will tire of playing behind an inferior quarterback), and the Brett Favre story will repeat itself.

Young had a passer raiting of 168 this season

You can check for yourself but trust me, that was the highest in the NCAA

He is more than just a running threat, BUT he can also do that

Edit-this debate is not about Vick and how good or bad he might be
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Carr was sacked 68 times this season. He might be a pro bowl QB if he had a chance to settle down and not worry about getting pummeled every play.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#42]
The Steelers should trade Rothlisburger to get Vince Young.

Then run a Vince Young, Randel El, Hines Ward shotgun or single wing offense

"Steelers in the single wing.  Hines Ward takes the snap, hands off to Randel El who's running around end, no, he pitches back to Young who's throwing deep to Ward."
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

"Steelers in the single wing.  Hines Ward takes the snap, hands off to Randel El who's running around end, no, he pitches back to Young who's throwing deep to Ward."

Thats one hell of a plan
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't talking about Young.  How does a college QB get a passer rating?  I thought that was NFL stuff.

He mentioned Vick, I responded about Vick.  Since when are you the content nazi?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

might work good in college ball, but not in the pros...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Young is NOT going to run for 200 yards a game in the NFL.  He will be just like every other running qb, with a target on his head and when he really has to pass to win a game can he do it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
case in point--the "WhoDey" Bengals--carson palmer is out--team is done right then

That is more due to offensive schemes, rather than talent. The Bengals use the pass to set up the run. Their whole offense if predicated on the ability to throw the ball. Kitna did a damned good job in the first half, but the lack of a full season playing killed him in the second half. Without Madieu Williams and a banged-up Detha, I'm suprised they hung in as long as they did. Shitty field awareness and playcalling on the defense certainly didn't do anyone any favors.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't talking about Young.  How does a college QB get a passer rating?  I thought that was NFL stuff.

He mentioned Vick, I responded about Vick.  Since when are you the content nazi?

you were simply the last one to mention Vick

This thread is not about vick so lets keep him out of it from now on.  The QB rating works the same way in college as it does in the NFL, just a way to rate the QB's passer efficency (sp)

As far as the "content nazi", dont turn this thread into petty name calling.

Try and stay on topic
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Young is NOT going to run for 200 yards a game in the NFL.  He will be just like every other running qb, with a target on his head and when he really has to pass to win a game can he do it?

He might not run for 200 yards, but he is good enough to make a difference and I think he proved that he can pass the ball when he has too

Just keep in mind he only had 8XX something yards running the ball this season, before the nc game

He relies on passing the ball more than you think

30 out of 40 aginst USC?????
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#50]
ok I was wrong eariler

Young was 3rd in passer rating with a 163.95
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top