Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2005 2:14:26 AM EDT
of course, unless you're a 'tard, then you get a free sympathy pass

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/08/18/laughter2.html

Theater apologizes for booting family

By Dave Richardson
Times Herald-Record

Middletown - Young Anthony Pratti just wanted to see a movie, but today, his story has turned into a kind of firestorm.
   The happy 7-year-old, who spends much of his time in a wheelchair dealing
with cerebral palsy and autism, was ejected from the Loews Cineplex theaters in the Galleria at Crystal Run Sunday.
  As Anthony was busy laughing and having a good time watching the film "March of the Penguins," a theater manager told his shocked family Anthony was laughing too loud, and that he had to get out.
  Anthony's story, which made the cover of today's Times Herald-Record, has sparked a tsunami of supportive phone calls, Internet chat room postings and e-mails from around the region and the nation, along with a minor media frenzy.
  Gina Pratti, Anthony's mother, spent most of today chasing hordes of television reporters off her front lawn.
  At least seven New York City television stations, plus MSNBC, descended on Pratti seeking interviews. The story was carried on radio stations around the tri-state region, and was even picked up by the Drudge Report Web site.
"   My phone hasn't stopped ringing," Pratti said.
  For its part, Loews corporate office has apologized to Pratti for what happened to Anthony, and says it's taking steps to ensure it won't happen again.
  "We may not have exercised the best sensitivity in handling this situation," said John McCauley, senior vice president of marketing for Loews Cineplex Entertainment.
  McCauley said the company would offer more training to employees in how to better deal with touchy situations.
"We welcome the Pratti family back to our theaters, and we hope they'll give us a second chance," McCauley added.
  Anthony's story prompted a deluge of messages of solidarity, sympathy and support - and some generous offers.
Location of the theater

Keith Lipsey, a Washingtonville police officer and martial arts teacher who works with autistic children, said he was incensed by Anthony's story.
 He said he's trying to arrange a special night out at the Destina Theaters in New Windsor for Anthony, his family, friends.
  "We should see who can laugh the loudest," Lipsey said. "I'll have bunch of cops around them, I'll bring the whole autistic society in. We'll make it a laughing matter in a positive sense."
  Another woman offered to start a petition drive, and more than one person offered to boycott Loews theaters in response. Mark Zurlo, president of Middletown Discount Cinemas, said Loews should have known better, and that the Prattis are welcome to come to his theater anytime as his guest.
  "It's a shame that happened," Zurlo said. "It makes us all look bad. There are ways to handle situations - that was not the way to handle it."
Pratti said her family is very, very grateful to everyone for the support.
  She said she didn't go into this wanting anything but an apology. "I thought this was just a simple thing, but obviously it's touched a nerve for a lot of people," Pratti said.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, mixed emotions.

If you're handicapped, I feel sorry for your situation and it's a bum deal the kid can't do what normal people do.

However, if you want to be treated like everyone else, you better keep your pie hole quiet in the theater. I'm expected to, so should you.

If I had a child with special needs that made alot of noise, I sure as hell wouldn't take him to a crowded theater, where his propensity towards squealing would obviously ruin other people's enjoyment of a movie.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, especially babies
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#3]
No, the theatre was right.  I dont pay for movies to be annoyed by some retard.  I hate going to movies because there's always SOMEONE in the theatre who doesn't have any consideration for the other movie goers.  Either they bring in a baby, or they talk during the show, or something else like this kid.  Happens every time. And if you ask them to stop talking  or ask them to take the kid outside until it quiets down, who looks like the asshole?

Just wait till it comes out on video.  The kid won't know the difference.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
In this case I'd like to see Lowes arrange a weekly "special needs" screening. Everything would be free to the families and Lowes would get to save face in a big way. That way nobody would be bitching about noise, etc.

Hell, they could probably even write it off.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, the theatre was right.  I dont pay for movies to be annoyed by some retard.  I hate going to movies because there's always SOMEONE in the theatre who doesn't have any consideration for the other movie goers.  Either they bring in a baby, or they talk during the show, or something else like this kid.  Happens every time. And if you ask them to stop talking  or ask them to take the kid outside until it quiets down, who looks like the asshole?

Heh heh heh heh
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
wait until the movie has been out for a few weeks and hit a matinee on a wednesday

me and my friend saw Signs on a thursday or friday at something like 2pm after it had been out a while
we were literally the only people in the theater
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Around here the locals like to talk at the movie screen.  They also bring their babies and young kids to R-rated, gory movies.  I have not been to a movie theatre for almost 3 years and have no plans to return to one until I am far from the ghetto.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
So the kid was supposed to get special treatment?
Since he got the short end of the stick at birth, he gets a free pass to fuck up everyones movie for the rest of his life?

Throw them out on their ear, if they won't STFU
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#9]
if you can't close your pie hole for the movie, you ought to be 86'd.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, mixed emotions.

+1

don't they have early am weekend showings for kid flicks so the kids can all hoot and holler and run around?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]
TIMMAH!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, mixed emotions.

+1

don't they have early am weekend showings for kid flicks so the kids can all hoot and holler and run around?

yes they do...sunday matinee most of the time... in most theatres.  While attending college, I worked for a non-profit organization that housed, fed, and educated MR men and women.  We went to the movies on the aforementioned days and times.  

Kick the kid out...sorry it sucks, but I don't pay 8 bucks to hear him squeal and chirp.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh heh heh heh

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Around here the locals like to talk at the movie screen. They also bring their babies and young kids to R-rated, gory movies. I have not been to a movie theatre for almost 3 years and have no plans to return to one until I am far from the ghetto.

Same reason I don't go- too many fucktards.  Folks who talk in movies should have to pay for everyone else's ticket and then get kicked out themselves.  Kids need to be in bed at a reasonable hour anyways and yeah, if this kid kid was disturbing others he should have been thrown out without a refund since his parents are obviously stupids inconsiderate fucks.    
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes disruptive is disruptive regardless of the source but I often worry some of you retards woud give a spastic kid an icecream cone just to watch him plant it in his forehead.

No...seen them eat plenty of times...never is it entertaining  (I.Q. < 50 = turn away unless you've got a strong stomach).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh heh heh heh

They should thank the manager for having the guts to actually take care of disruptive customers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#19]
If:

1)  The noise you are making is in response to the movie and
2)  You are not purposefully trying to make the noise

You shouldn't be kicked out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, learning a lot about my fellow Arfcommers in this thread...  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes disruptive is disruptive regardless of the source but I often worry some of you retards would give a spastic kid an icecream cone just to watch him plant it in his forehead.

Dang it!  In spite of myself, that line made me laugh out loud (doesn't happen often).  My secretary is peeking in the door looking at me funny - glad I wasn't drinking anything at the time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh heh heh heh

They should thank the manager for having the guts to actually take care of disruptive customers.

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh heh heh heh

+1

I too am suprised that the manager did anything.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I guarantee the manager kicked these people out in response to other customers' complaints.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Where the hell were these movie nazis when the dickhead in the back row answered his phone during the movie?  Happened the last 3 times I've been to the theater.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Where the hell were these movie nazis when the dickhead in the back row answered his phone during the movie?  Happened the last 3 times I've been to the theater.

+1  

I vote for instant death for anyone that ANSWERS their phone, if you're a dumbass and forgot to turn it off just hit the silence or ignore button and call them back later.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Just stand up acting really pissed off and say, Turn off the goddamn laser!!!!!!!

About 5-10 other people will chime in right behind you and the laser will not appear again!

Trust me, it works!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Went to see Blackhawk Down when it was at the theater.  Sat on the back row.  A few seats down from me was a young guy (around 20 y.o.and) his two girlfriends.  During the part where the soldier is bleeding out (pretty gut-wrenching moment), they're down there laughing and talking on their cellphones.  I got their attention and told them to be quiet.  Young guy told me to "f&%$ o$$"!  Wrong time and wrong place to say that to me!  I went over and told him to leave now or I'd stick my foot up his ass in front of his dates.  They left.  Punks!

Maybe I'm just turning into a grouchy old man, but they were bothering everyone in the movie and no one would do anything about it.  Sometimes, you gotta do it yourself.

Spa King
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Went to see Blackhawk Down when it was at the theater.  Sat on the back row.  A few seats down from me was a young guy (around 20 y.o.and) his two girlfriends.  During the part where the soldier is bleeding out (pretty gut-wrenching moment), they're down there laughing and talking on their cellphones.  I got their attention and told them to be quiet.  Young guy told me to "f&%$ o$$"!  Wrong time and wrong place to say that to me!  I went over and told him to leave now or I'd stick my foot up his ass in front of his dates.  They left.  Punks!

Maybe I'm just turning into a grouchy old man, but they were bothering everyone in the movie and no one would do anything about it.  Sometimes, you gotta do it yourself.

Spa King

Amen brother
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sometimes, you gotta do it yourself.

Hey, I've told people to shut up in theaters before.  Always have been a group of teenage girls.  They giggle like crazy, but then promptly shut their traps.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I've told people to shut up in theaters before.  Always have been a group of teenage girls.  They giggle like crazy, but then promptly shut their traps.

GabbasaurusRex, I hope you didn't think I was referring to your post.  I'm sure you can handle yourself.  That comment wasn't directed at anyone.Spa King
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I can't believe some of the responses here! The title of the movie is 'March of the Penguins'. It wasn't "Matrix' or some other 'thriller'. Penguins is a documentary about penguins and their migratory patterns. A lot of the scenes are funny...especially to kids. Damn people, lighten up! It's not like the little beasties had a lot of lines to recite...geeez.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I can't believe some of the responses here! The title of the movie is 'March of the Penguins'. It wasn't "Matrix' or some other 'thriller'. Penguins is a documentary about penguins and their migratory patterns. A lot of the scenes are funny...especially to kids. Damn people, lighten up! It's not like the little beasties had a lot of lines to recite...geeez.

We aren't even talking about that anymore. Just people in general who talk and do all the stuff front row Joe says not to do.

This thread has evolved.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GabbasaurusRex, I hope you didn't think I was referring to your post.  I'm sure you can handle yourself.  That comment wasn't directed at anyone.

Spa King

I was agreeing with you.

Sorry, but if I'm shelling out $10 for a movie plus popcorn and all that, I want to enjoy it without someone yapping on their phone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I was at a movie in Philly once a while ago and some cell phone gabber got told to STFU.

He told the guy to buzz off. Wrong move. The guy dumped a soda on him, and took his phone away and smashed it against the wall.

He got an applause for that one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#39]
So, they toss out a kid with CP, but I'll bet the ushers are too chicken shit to tell the gangsta-wannabees to shut up ? Pathetic.

BTW, I hope all the f*cks making fun of the disabled kid get into serious car wrecks and wind up as quadrapalegics. I'm sure you're all "tough" enough to deal with it.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Around here the locals like to talk at the movie screen.  They also bring their babies and young kids to R-rated, gory movies.  I have not been to a movie theatre for almost 3 years and have no plans to return to one until I am far from the ghetto.

Maryland?

Locals?  

You don't live in PG county do you?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't go to the theatre anymore because of stupid assclowns that talk during the whole thing.  

At the risk of getting this thread locked, I'd draw down on those bastards.

...at least with my Surefire to start.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#42]
You guys are getting slow.  We're on page 2 and I still haven't heard "Draw Down!".  

(Crap!  The post above this said it! )

If it's some sort of kid show, then you go there EXPECTING it to be a circus.  Otherwise noisy people should be asked to be quiet or leave.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#43]
This why I have a home theatre and rarely go out to the movies.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
This why I have a home theatre and rarely go out to the movies.

Yep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#46]
If I were the manager, it would be an easy decision to make. If he's bothering other customers, out he goes, whether he's got CP, Down's, or just has his head up his ass.

Being fucked over by genes does not make you special. You do not get to have the world revolve around you because you've got an extra copy of a chromosome.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#47]
If you have been the parent of a "special needs" kid for 7 years, you would have to be a retard to have not learned by now that it might not be the best idea for you to take your "special needs" child to a crowded movie theater. Yes, the general population should be used to seeing retards in broad daylight without staring at them in horror. But when you are the parent of a "special kid", you have to approach things differently. You can't expect the whole world to change just for you and your kid because of your particular circumstances. I commend the person for wanting to give their kid some fun and excitement, but they went about it wrong. Besides, are you going to expect a $7/hr movie theater monkey to show tact in having to ask someone politely to tell their "special kid" to keep it down.
(I was going to say "to tell the drooling one to keep it down" but I thought that would make me look too insensitive [which I am], and people would badger me about being a jerk.)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Id rather wait for the movie to come out on DVD and watch it then.

No distraction's.
No A-hole's ruining it for you.
No $8.00 ticket plus antother $8.00 for a drink and popocorn.
And being able to  pause the movie to go take a leak
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#49]
For the most part I wait for it to come to the rental store and watch it at home, but there are some movies that just require the theatre in order to get the whole 'experience', the big screen, surround sound, etc.

At those times you can bet I'll tell some inconsiderate S.O.B to STFU of turn of his cellphone......
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Spa King

Here's my story:

A couple of years ago, a friend and I went to see "Scary Movie".  Right in front of us was a brother and two white girls.  About halfway into the movie, the brother starts having an argument with one of the girls, presumably his GF.  I ask them to be quiet, guy looks at me like I am an asshole, then resumes arguing.  Ask them to go argue outside, they're bothering me.  Dude totally blows me off.  I'm about to do something like get the manager, when a scene opens in the movie we're watching.

In the movie, the "Scream" killer is stalking a black chick in a movie theatre.  Like someone said about people in his neighborhood, she was talking back at the movie screen. "MMM-mmmm!  Don't you be goin' in there!  He kill you!", etc. The white dorky people in the audience are shushing her, asking her to be quiet, and she yells back at them, telling them to fuck off.  It's JUST LIKE the situation I'm having with the black guy in front of me, and the dude recognizes it too and thinks it's just soooooo funny.

"Dat's me!  Dat's me, y'all!" cackling with glee that he's living up to stereotypes.

So, in the movie, the masked killer is closing in on the noisy black chick in the audience with his big knife.  But before he reaches her, all the white people in the audience draw their own knives and kill the noisy bitch.

That's when I started yelling in the black guy's ear "Dat's me!  Dat's me!"  He stood up and walked straight out of the theatre. It was so perfect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top