User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:28:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Don't most states garnish wages for failure to pay?

I don't see how it does any good to spend money to put them in jail.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a kid from before I was married I have zero say in how she is raised by her wacko Mother, she refuses to see me and has been poisoned against me. Her Mother on the other hand has no job, lives with her Mother and milks the system dry. I say no fucking way. Women want equal treatment, they need to do equal work. Can't afford to raise your kid? Kid should go to the Father. I have spent tens of thousands fighting her in court over the years and in the last couple years have pretty much given up. You'd be amazed how high the deck is stacked against you if you are the father. It's basically, keep your mouth shut and hand over the checks. It's disgusting.

ETA: Millions of men have supported their families without the women doing a lick of work for years. If women want equality, they need to earn it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I second that emotion!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#4]
No
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe it is now a 4th degree felony in Ohio not to pay court ordered child support. I don't see how it is productive for the family involved or the tax payers to lock some pos up if he refuses to make payments. It costs the state a shit load of money to put the guy through the system, all the while his child support continues to increase.

An automatic deduction is the only option. If the dead beat gets payed under the table or refuses to work, it is too expensive to go after the guy through the court system.

EDIT, it is a 5th degree felony under Ohio Revised Code 2919.21
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#6]
No.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I say yes because that money is supposed to be for the child, although in reality this rarely happens. I believe that once you have a child you have signed your life away if you like it or not. If you don't want to pay then don't screw the wacko.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
No, but I did get behind in my payments when I was out of work. I got a job driving and found out my DL had been suspended for over a week with no notice. My new boss was cool, he let me work it out and held the job for me.  Fucktards at child support were not going to reinstate my DL UNTIL I SET UP A PAYMENT PLAN AND WAS EMPLOYED.  I drive fucking truck, i can't get employed without my DL you morons. They finally saw that and reinstated me so I could go to work.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I say yes because that money is supposed to be for the child, although in reality this rarely happens. I believe that once you have a child you have signed your life away if you like it or not. If you don't want to pay then don't screw the wacko.

The money NEVER goes to the child, it ALWAYS goes in the Mother's pocket. Banging a wacko doesn't justify an 18 year financial jail sentence.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I say, no.

I agree. I know too many men that have had their lives ruined by greedy ex's and our draconian child support laws.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Jailed no, forced to pay-up, damn straight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#12]
If you don't want to pay then either don't have sex or get sterilized. I see NO excuses in this. It really is not that hard to NOT get someone pregnant. I see the creation of life as serious as taking a life, both will affect you for the rest of yours.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are going to impose the sanction of liberty-deprivation, then there needs to be much greater control over the custodial parent's spending of the child support.

Further, if you want to make it a jailable offense, you ought in fairness subject custodial parents to deprivation of liberty for withholding court ordered parenting time.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you are going to impose the sanction of liberty-deprivation, then there needs to be much greater control over the custodial parent's spending of the child support.

Further, if you want to make it a jailable offense, you ought in fairness subject custodial parents to deprivation of liberty for withholding court ordered parenting time.

Visitation interference is a crime in IL. However, only the child support laws are enforced. If you have a vagina, the courts will rally around you and do everything possible to make sure the Father lives a nightmare for 18 years to come.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely not. Its a heinous act by the Government that merely escalates a bad situation.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]
nope
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I agree, the system sucks. If people go to prison for not paying taxes then why not child support? I think that jail should be reserved for only the most outrageous of circumstances and only target the true scumbags. I admit that the system is broken and fairness is rare BUT the father can always take custody and turn the tables.

I think everyone assumes that it is the man that is the one paying, in my circumstance it is my exstepmother having to pay for my younger brother.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, the system sucks. If people go to prison for not paying taxes then why not child support? I think that jail should be reserved for only the most outrageous of circumstances and only target the true scumbags. I admit that the system is broken and fairness is rare BUT the father can always take custody and turn the tables.

Fathers almost never ever get custody no matter what a piece of shit the Mother is, trust me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I say... it depends on the situation.

My daughter is married to a wack-job ex-Marine (before all the REAL Marines get on me about this - the guy is such an asshat the Marines refused to let him re-up.)  She's trying to get a divorce, but he fights her every step.  She's trying to get him to pay his support for her three kids, but he has no job, working under the table for whatever he can get.  She's working her ass off trying to do right by the kids, and she only leans on us when she absolutely has to.  This guy has shown himself to be a violent person, and the only time he ever straightened up was when he spent a couple months in jail for trying to break into her apartment and stab her.  (The fucktard only did a couple months because she refused to testify against him, and without her testimony, the case fell apart.)

I think that as long as you can go before a judge and show that the payments aren't being made, and that this is willful and deliberate, then yes, the fucktard needs to be locked up for as long as is needed to teach him about feeding his kids.  And if he has decent reasons, or if she's just being a malicious bitch, then the judge needs to tell her to go pee up a rope...  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My daughter is married to a wack-job ex-Marine (before all the REAL Marines get on me about this - the guy is such an asshat the Marines refused to let him re-up.)  She's trying to get a divorce, but he fights her every step.  She's trying to get him to pay his support for her three kids, but he has no job, working under the table for whatever he can get.  She's working her ass off trying to do right by the kids, and she only leans on us when she absolutely has to.  This guy has shown himself to be a violent person, and the only time he ever straightened up was when he spent a couple months in jail for trying to break into her apartment and stab her.  (The fucktard only did a couple months because she refused to testify against him, and without her testimony, the case fell apart.)

I think that as long as you can go before a judge and show that the payments aren't being made, and that this is willful and deliberate, then yes, the fucktard needs to be locked up for as long as is needed to teach him about feeding his kids.  And if he has decent reasons, or if she's just being a malicious bitch, then the judge needs to tell her to go pee up a rope...  

+1

EDIT: Your daughter needs an AR15 for xmas.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Legal plunder.

Color me surprised at the number of people, even here, who are ok with it because it's for the children.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If he's such an asshole, why did she have THREE kids with him? This is exactly what I mean. When does HER responsibility come in to play? When?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes !
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Why do women have the "right" to have an abortion, yet the Father has to sit silenced for 18 years handing over money with no choice? More Liberalism and Affirmative Action at work. Who has been there for the millions of men that bust their ass at miserable jobs to feed their families while the wives sit at home growing the size of their ass?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he's such an asshole, why did she have THREE kids with him? This is exactly what I mean. When does HER responsibility come in to play? When?

So he should not have any fiscal responsibility to the kids? She bears the 100% responsibility to feed and clothe them?

EDIT: Besides if the father doesn't like the situation then he can go ahead and hire Johnny Cochran.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why do women have the "right" to have an abortion, yet the Father has to sit silenced for 18 years handing over money with no choice? More Liberalism and Affirmative Action at work. Who has been there for the millions of men that bust their ass at miserable jobs to feed their families while the wives sit at home growing the size of their ass?

The only women that sit at home are the women to have sissy husbands who let them. The abortion debate is an entirely seperate debate for another day.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#27]
How much of the money actually goes to the mother/child? Doesn't the .gov or local .gov get a piece of that money?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you don't want to pay then either don't have sex or get sterilized. I see NO excuses in this. It really is not that hard to NOT get someone pregnant. I see the creation of life as serious as taking a life, both will affect you for the rest of yours.

Nice generalization <Edit. Bama> . You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So he should not have any fiscal responsibility to the kids? She bears the 100% responsibility to feed and clothe them?

If she is raising them with no involvement from the Father then yes. If he was such a deadbeat asshole, she shouldn't have let him impregnate her three times. The woman has a "choice" the man has zero recourse.

Many women rope men in knowing damn well they will be getting money for years to come.

Why should men be expected to support their families, yet woman have zero financial accountability? Why won't the courts force women on welfare taking in child support to get a job?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

With due respect, sir:

1.   How exactly is additional  prison time going to make him any more employable?

2.   What responsibility does your daughter have for refusing to testify against him?

3.   Why should I, as a divorced man, have to deal with a system that treats me like I'm the shitbag ex-marine you describe?  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice generalization <Edit. Bama> . You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.

Mine walked out when she joined a wacko religious cult and I wouldn't condone it. I am remarried now and thank god the douchebag left, minus the remainder of support payments I have to pay her as she sits on her ass doing nothing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice generalization <Edit. Bama>. You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.

What is your point? She got preg by the other dude right????
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#33]
In reality, jail is rarely* the first punishment for a deadbeat parent.  It is usually reserved for the deadbeat parent who is far in arrears, is capable of paying, yet choses not to support the child(ren) he brought into the world.

Why make the parent who is supposed to get the money go through the expensive collection process of trying to get the money when an efficient and remarkably less costly contempt proceeding with the possibility of jail time is available?  What stick is there for the deadbeat parent who choses not to work although completely capable.  

Arfcom is so big on personal responsibility.  I'm surprised at the tenor when it comes to deadbeat parents.

*Edited the "never usually" part as that really didn't make sense.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't think there is a solution to this debate, it will go on forever. The system is broken, everyone acknowledges this. It's bad situation all around.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#35]
NO. It is stacked against men. So unfair to those that are trying but cannot make a go of it. A family friend had to quit his job because he had nothing to live on and go on assistance. He was current on all his payments. Court would not lower payments untill he did not work for a year. He paid what he could when he had the money.He has yet to miss a payment.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice generalization <edit. bama>. You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.

In a lot of states if your wife gets preggers while you are married then it doesn't matter if there was "another dude."
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice generalization <Edit. Bama>. You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.

Welcome to the world of child  support.  Since it happened during his marriage, he is the "presumptive father" and the state can come after him until he, on his dime and at his expense, proves the child is not his.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
In reality, jail is never usually the first punishment for a deadbeat parent.  It is usually reserved for the deadbeat parent who is far in arrears, is capable of paying, yet choses not to support the child(ren) he brought into the world.

Why make the parent who is supposed to get the money go through the expensive collection process of trying to get the money when an efficient and remarkably less costly contempt proceeding with the possibility of jail time is available?  What stick is there for the deadbeat parent who choses not to work although completely capable.  

Arfcom is so big on personal responsibility.  I'm surprised at the tenor when it comes to deadbeat parents.

Agreed. I think the thought on this thread is that personal responsibility is for everyone else except them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice generalization <edit. bama>. You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.

Welcome to the world of child  support.  Since it happened during his marriage, he is the "presumptive father" and the state can come after him until he, on his dime and at his expense, proves the child is not his.

Well don't live in shitty states then! lol. You can't complain about being oppressed if you live in a commi state.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and she made the choice to destroy the family, there for she should take all the responsibility. If I had left her, or we made a mutual choice then I would see it different. But she wanted all the fun and excitement of a new cock, so she she be the one to pay.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice generalization ,edit.bama>. You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.

That's an entirely different issue and is tangential to OP's question.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
NO. It is stacked against men. So unfair to those that are trying but cannot make a go of it. A family friend had to quit his job because he had nothing to live on and go on assistance. He was current on all his payments. Court would not lower payments untill he did not work for a year. He paid what he could when he had the money.He has yet to miss a payment.

Name one thing in this world that is fair, welfare, California, Hillary, Canadians. I don't feel bad for those in Katrina that died for not taking the personal responsibilty and preparing, I don't feel bad for those who get shot because they refuse to take their personal protection seriously and arm themselves AND I don't feel bad for those who insist on breeding and not take the responsibility for doing so!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and she made the choice to destroy the family, there for she should take all the responsibility. If I had left her, or we made a mutual choice then I would see it different. But she wanted all the fun and excitement of a new cock, so she she be the one to pay.

Sorry for what happened to you, but I'm not sure it has any bearing on the question.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice generalization jack ass. You can't even pretend to be that self righteous with knowing every situation. My wife got pregnant and left while I was on the road (I drive truck), I begged her to come back (preg by other dude and all). She made the decision to go out on her own, she should be 100% responsible for the money. I DID NOT WALK OUT ON HER.

That's an entirely different issue and is tangential to OP's question.

Should custodial parents who refuse, repeatedly and without justification, to provide court-ordered visitation be jailed?

Or lose their primary physical custody?

WHat about where a parade of experts comes into the the Court talking about how much damage the custodial parent is doing by way of parental alienation?  (In Colorado, the answer is:  Custodial parent keeps the kid....

You cannot try to isolate one little tidbit of a gravely flawed system and try to examine it in isolation.   IF the system were fair and truly working to the best  interests of the children instead of the best interests of the custodial PARENT, then it would be worth a discussion of the jailing of fathers.   Given the bias, unfairness, and slant evident in the entirety of the rest of the system, I see no reason to accord that system much of a benefit of the doubt when it endeavors to take someone's liberty for not writing a check.

As  far as I remember, indentured servitude, debtors' prisons, and the like were outlawed for the entire remainder  of the population some time ago.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't care if they have the means to pay it and refuse to pay. It should be a jailable offense.

This is a civil matter not criminal.

Bama, should or should not be jailable? Typo?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I like how no body has mentioned their kids and trying to gain custody. I like how nobody seems to give a sht about their offspring, only their pocketbooks. I would kill and willingly be killed for my kids. They would have to take them like they would have to take my guns, over my dead body.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I like how no body has mentioned their kids and trying to gain custody. I like how nobody seems to give a sht about their offspring, only their pocketbooks. I would kill and willingly be killed for my kids. They would have to take them like they would have to take my guns, over my dead body.

I spent a very long time and tens of thousands trying to get custody, it was a no go every time. I had to foot the entire bill for the divorce, buy her a car when we divorced, assume all the credit card debt and give her half the equity in my house that I bought with my money.

Walk a mile in our shoes and get back to us mr. noble.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top