Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 1:32:32 PM EDT
I needed to buy a new laser measure and Home Depot sells the same model for $30 more compared to Amazon.  

The benefit of buying local is I get the item now and I don't have to worry about getting an opened or used unit from Amazon like I have with other products a handful of times over the years.

So this morning I went to Home Depot, found the item and I asked the customer service rep if they price match, she said no, so I thanked her and left, went to work and ordered it on Amazon.  I'm sure the buying power and logistics are different between Amazon vs. Home Depot, but at what point is losing a sale worth selling an item at a deeper discount?  I don't know the markup on said item but if I had to guess I would still think that Amazon's price is still way above cost, especially on an electronic item like this.

I'm not mad or "expecting" Home Depot to price match, I just think with how competitive online shopping is, more retail places would be open to price match in order to make the sale.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Wal-Mart did.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I needed to buy a new laser measure and Home Depot sells the same model for $30 more compared to Amazon.  

The benefit of buying local is I get the item now and I don't have to worry about getting an opened or used unit from Amazon like I have with other products a handful of times over the years.

So this morning I went to Home Depot, found the item and I asked the customer service rep if they price match, she said no, so I thanked her and left, went to work and ordered it on Amazon.  I'm sure the buying power and logistics are different between Amazon vs. Home Depot, but at what point is losing a sale worth selling an item at a deeper discount?  I don't know the market on said item but if I had to guess I would still think that Amazon's price is still way above cost, especially on an electronic item like this.

I'm not mad or "expecting" Home Depot to price match, I just think with how competitive online shopping is, more retail places would be open to price match in order to make the sale.  Thoughts?
View Quote

It's up to the buyer to determine which is more valuable: time or money.   Buy it at the store, save time but lose money.  Buy it online; same money but lose time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's up to the buyer to determine which is more valuable: time or money.   Buy it at the store, save time but lose money.  Buy it online; same money but lose time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So this morning I went to Home Depot, found the item and I asked the customer service rep if they price match, she said no, so I thanked her and left, went to work and ordered it on Amazon.  I'm sure the buying power and logistics are different between Amazon vs. Home Depot, but at what point is losing a sale worth selling an item at a deeper discount?  I don't know the market on said item but if I had to guess I would still think that Amazon's price is still way above cost, especially on an electronic item like this.

Fully agree with that.  At many times I've purchased stuff at a higher price so I could have it RFN.  It does seem like after all these years since online shopping got big, it's a big of a grey area that constantly changes.  Some places refuse, some price match no matter what, so only if the item is stocked/sold by Amazon, etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazon same-day shipping.

I haven't left my house in weeks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The grading process for a returned item to be sold as new when it's returned to an Amazon FC is ridiculously high, to the point you wouldn't be able to tell.

An associate may have had an 'offday' but I doubt you bought a "New" item "Shipped and Sold By Amazon" and had it be a legit used item. A lot more likely you bought from a 3rd Party Seller in the Amazon Marketplace.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Paying for the convenience of easy return and getting it today. How can they match when have way more overhead than amazon?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
No.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The grading process for a returned item to be sold as new when it's returned to an Amazon FC is ridiculously high, to the point you wouldn't be able to tell.

An associate may have had an 'offday' but I doubt you bought a "New" item "Shipped and Sold By Amazon" and had it be a legit used item. A lot more likely you bought from a 3rd Party Seller in the Amazon Marketplace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't say whether each instance was "shipped/sold" by amazon or fulfilled, but they were all prime orders.  The one that specifically comes to mind is a Spyderco knife.  Sold by Amazon, it came with a beat up box, torn plastic bag and tape residue/fingerprints all over the blade.  The blade was pretty dull as well.  I have gotten a few other electronic items with seals broken and batteries already installed and screen protectors removed, that kind of thing.  But again, I don't know how many were amazon.com or just fulfilled.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Best Buy does for products shipped and sold by Amazon
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't expect stores to price match, whether it's physical or online, although it behooves the store to do so.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
No.  Brick and mortar stores play by different rules and have different overhead costs.

That being said I generally buy from Amazon for the convenience of it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I had walmart price match a camping grill/stove that was listed on amazon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't say whether each instance was "shipped/sold" by amazon or fulfilled, but they were all prime orders.  The one that specifically comes to mind is a Spyderco knife.  Sold by Amazon, it came with a beat up box, torn plastic bag and tape residue/fingerprints all over the blade.  The blade was pretty dull as well.  I have gotten a few other electronic items with seals broken and batteries already installed and screen protectors removed, that kind of thing.  But again, I don't know how many were amazon.com or just fulfilled.
View Quote

Amazon Warehouse is also prime eligible and it's all returns.  They tell you that the packaging will be beaten up.  You have to pay attention to where it's coming from.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This although I would prefer to buy locally
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's comparing big box retail to Amazon, not a mom-and-pop shop though, apple and oranges in my opinion.

(I still buy a shit load of books from Barnes and Noble)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Best Buy has.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Meh,  I don't find Amazon to be that much cheaper all the time but the convenience is awesome.

I live in the middle of nowhere and prime saves me so much gas money it isn't funny.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Where I work we price match amazon but only if it's shipped and sold by amazon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Not necessarily
Different business models and overhead

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fully agree with that.  At many times I've purchased stuff at a higher price so I could have it RFN.  It does seem like after all these years since online shopping got big, it's a big of a grey area that constantly changes.  Some places refuse, some price match no matter what, so only if the item is stocked/sold by Amazon, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even worse, when they don't have it in stock but they offer to order it for you.  Then you lose time AND money when you can just order it yourself and only lose time..  Seriously, what's the point.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Ask and if they don't - screw them.  Go buy it from Amazon - and on many items in several locations you can actually get it with free SAME DAY delivery.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you live in one of the states amazon fucked you with a warehouse location you'd still end up paying sales tax even if they price match them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
If they want to stay competitive, yes. Free market, do what you want and see if you survive.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#25]
some things are more expensive to get through amazon even with prime
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Internet sales will destroy conventional retail in the next ten years.  Simply put there is no way a brick and mortar storefront can compete.  There is no way the math will work, short of insane and probably unsustainable volume.  In a conventional retail economy you have manufacturers selling to wholesalers selling to retailers who sell to you and me.  Everyone in that process takes a cut.  The internet is essentially selling wholesale to every one.  

Grocery stores, which turn inventory almost weekly, run about a 20% gross margin and a very thin net profit..  Specialty retail, like a gun shop, might turn inventory twice a year and needs close to a 50% gross to keep the lights on.  The guy on main street cannot offer wholesale prices and survive.  It simply can't be done.  

In the future all shopping decisions will have to be made a week ahead of time so the internet order can arrive.  Failure to do so and you will have to buy locally at even higher prices than now, assuming there is even a local store left within thirty miles.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#27]
A business decision that each store should make on its own.

Simple minded to think there is a 'one size fits all' answer.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes I think they should and would buy more locally if the sales tax were also incorporated in the price match. I use amazon prime all the time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Amazon's same-day zone for the Atlanta area only covers the northern half of the metro area.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Internet sales will destroy conventional retail in the next ten years.  Simply put there is no way a brick and mortar storefront can compete.  There is no way the math will work, short of insane and probably unsustainable volume.  In a conventional retail economy you have manufacturers selling to wholesalers selling to retailers who sell to you and me.  Everyone in that process takes a cut.  The internet is essentially selling wholesale to every one.  

Grocery stores, which turn inventory almost weekly, run about a 20% gross margin and a very thin net profit..  Specialty retail, like a gun shop, might turn inventory twice a year and needs close to a 50% gross to keep the lights on.  The guy on main street cannot offer wholesale prices and survive.  It simply can't be done.  

In the future all shopping decisions will have to be made a week ahead of time so the internet order can arrive.  Failure to do so and you will have to buy locally at even higher prices than now, assuming there is even a local store left within thirty miles.
View Quote

Excellent post, all very true.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had walmart price match a camping grill/stove that was listed on amazon.
View Quote

So what you go to customer service or ask at checkout?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#32]
They should charge less.  Because I have to go in their fucking store with the fucking other people if I buy from them.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep. Here in so cal, we are seeing Sports Authority closing almost all of their stores.

Another sporting goods store, Sport Chalet just announced their closing.

I am often flabbergasted by the prices in some of these stores. Who the heck pays $40 for a Nike dri-fit t shirt or $50 for Under Armor dri-fit shorts.

Nah, I will buy online or go to Target or Costco if I want something local.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Amazon doesn't have low prices.  More likely Amazon should match Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Amazon saves me a shitload of money over local store prices.

I think you're doing it wrong.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Only if the like money
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Best Buy does and has for me in the past....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Subnet has pointed out that the problem with buying local is that I will invariably want something in a different brand, color, or style than the item that is stocked locally.  That's why internet-based shopping is killing buying locally for me.  I'd rather wait and have it delivered in two days than buy an (in my mind at least) inferior product that I can have today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I ordered mop heads from amazon because people were out locally. I actually got them cheaper and they shipped from Costco to me.  Yes, Direct ship from Costco via amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top