1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/12/2002 1:54:45 PM EST
I say yes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:56:53 PM EST
I feel the lawyers circling already. Ryan
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:58:42 PM EST
with rapiers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:59:37 PM EST
Is hand to hand to the death combat included in the definition? If so, I'm all for it. Nothing like seeing the light go out up close and personal! [/Ted Bundy mode off]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:01:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By reidry: I feel the lawyers circling already. Ryan
View Quote
This is in the hypothetical Free/perfect society, of course.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:02:20 PM EST
Can you explain exactly what you mean by dueling ? I mean I understand the basic concept of take x amount of paces turn and fire, but what exactly are you talking about ?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:02:59 PM EST
Free? Boy are we dreaming now! I vote yes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:19:04 PM EST
Would cheating during dueling be illegal?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:20:12 PM EST
Would that mean the states could make it illegal again? Once upon a time it was legal...then over time it was not.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:20:49 PM EST
I duel with swords all the time. It's called fencing. :)
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:28:44 PM EST
Is dueling illegal? Or is it the discharge of firearms and the killing? Kind of like its not illegal to purchase drugs, just illegal to be in possession.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:31:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/12/2002 2:32:49 PM EST by DevilsAdvocate]
Dueling should be legal (and encouraged) for Lawyers, Gang Members and Politicians. It would be legal if the Guvmint could find a way to tax it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:40:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By magnum_99: Is hand to hand to the death combat included in the definition? If so, I'm all for it. Nothing like seeing the light go out up close and personal! [/Ted Bundy mode off]
View Quote
IIrc, the challenged person gets the choice of weapons. Yes.It should be legal. Devil's advocate, did you ever watch the show "Sliders"? One episode was about lawyers who were actually old west style gunslingers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:43:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/12/2002 2:46:03 PM EST by Greenhorn]
Arenas should be made for that purpose - a field several acres in size, with concrete bunkers, and lots of trees and tall grass. Then give each of the feuding fools an AR-15 and a pistol, plenty of ammo, and let them loose.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:03:45 PM EST
YES. But to make it more interesting, Mandatory Life Insurance Policies of 100k or more should be purchased and the beneficiary would be the other person in the duel. That way the winner would get 61k on top of killing the other SOB. (61k because the feds take out Capital Gains...Hey we gotta give them something out of the pot or else they'll never agree to let it continue to be legal, right?)
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:07:56 PM EST
two men enter, one man leave!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:22:34 PM EST
Yes, I have been told that judges in the deep South don't look as harshly upon the winning dueler. Even so, if you win you ass would still be in heap big trouble. The real trouble with dueling at least around Tennessee, would be that after you win your duel, you then would likely have to dual with the s.o.b.'s brothers and maybe sisters too. Out![kill]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:22:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:24:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By Avtomat: Would cheating during dueling be illegal?
View Quote
Outta be wouldn't ya think?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:11:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By Wasted-life:
Originally Posted By magnum_99: Is hand to hand to the death combat included in the definition? If so, I'm all for it. Nothing like seeing the light go out up close and personal! [/Ted Bundy mode off]
View Quote
IIrc, the challenged person gets the choice of weapons. Yes.It should be legal. Devil's advocate, did you ever watch the show "Sliders"? One episode was about lawyers who were actually old west style gunslingers.
View Quote
I really liked Sliders. I wish it had lasted a bit longer. It was a nice Opiate.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:31:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By Philadelphia_GunMan: Can you explain exactly what you mean by dueling ? I mean I understand the basic concept of take x amount of paces turn and fire, but what exactly are you talking about ?
View Quote
Whatever the two duelists agree to, I say. I think the act itself would be better suited to be done on private property only, though. The two aggressors sign a waiver, or whatever you want to call it, releasing all liability on the one that lives and on the gov't. Then let them do what they want. Most people nowadays don't have the type of "honor" that Aaron Burr or A. Hamilton had. I don't think people would duel over insults to their stature as much as they used to. If it were legal, is still would not be "performed" much anyway.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:56:08 PM EST
Lawlessness is to be feared as much as a police state. Civilized men don't kill over insults. If you want to live in fear of "insulting" some bully who takes pleasure killing people in duels, make it legal.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:14:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By stubbs: Most people nowadays don't have the type of "honor" that Aaron Burr or A. Hamilton had. I don't think people would duel over insults to their stature as much as they used to. If it were legal, is still would not be "performed" much anyway.
View Quote
Read an article in Maxim magazine, Deuling pistols were never upgraded because of their inaccuracy, according to the article there was only a 40% chance of hitting someone with these pistols, most deuls the two opponents would shoot at each other, both would miss, they would consider their honor satisfied and retire for the day. They purposefully left the pistols inaccurate for dueling purposes. Also according to the article, Alexander Hamilton had modified his pistol to be more accurate, a no no in dueling etiquette.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:17:26 PM EST
A slap across the face with a Glove.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:20:45 PM EST
Yes and me and my FFL holder are going at it tomorrow.[:(!]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:26:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By guardian855: ... Alexander Hamilton had modified his pistol to be more accurate, a no no in dueling etiquette.
View Quote
Maybe to ensure that his shots into the air stayed in the air?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:01:16 PM EST
New England Arms single shot 10 gauge #5 3and1/2 mag turkey loads. Two men enter ,two men exit! Fair enough don't you think Kind of takes the heart out of the whole shit don't it? Bob [8D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:54:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By Redmanfms: Lawlessness is to be feared as much as a police state. Civilized men don't kill over insults. If you want to live in fear of "insulting" some bully who takes pleasure killing people in duels, make it legal.
View Quote
Or the people who want dueling, or even think it could be a good idea, are bullies themselves
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:00:33 AM EST
If you've studied the history of dueling, you would know how completely lame it was and the reasoning behind it becoming outlawed.
Top Top