Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:18:00 PM EDT
Virginia (02/23/2006): Bill to Infringe on Discussing Firearms in a Doctor's Office Defeated in Senate Committee
The Virginia Senate Health and Education Committee defeated a bill that would have banned pediatricians from discussing with or asking their patient's parents whether there is a gun in the home. Unbelievably, this bill passed in the House of Delegates 88-11, but the Senate Committee stopped the bill in its tracks due in large part to the outcry from the Virginia medical community and Voices for Virginia's Children, who were supported by the GVP groups in the state. The bill cannot be brought up again this session.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
the doctors office is not a place to discuss political issues.  the doctor has no business pushing views on NAFTA, Iraq, guns, welfare, the farm bill, port authority, or any other non-medical issues.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask him if you can fuck his wife. If its a female ask her if she likes anal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot dogs with my family doc when Im home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"Virgina blocks reasonable gun reforms"

Yeah, ask about guns, swimming pools, chain saws, kitchen knives, bathroom tubs, buckets, poisons ...

Heck, doctors kill TEN TIMES more people that guns do...last I heard there were over 100,000 dead per-year due to medical negligence; compare that to about 10,000 murders per year.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Heck, doctors kill TEN TIMES more people that guns do...last I heard there were over 100,000 dead per-year due to medical negligence; compare that to about 10,000 murders per year.

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, ask about guns, swimming pools, chain saws, kitchen knives, bathroom tubs, buckets, poisons ...

Here we go again.  Dude learn some statistics before spewing shit.  Everytime you use that you sound like a retard.  We have discussed that many times before.

CRC =
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here we go again.  Dude learn some statistics before spewing shit.  Everytime you use that you sound like a retard.  We have discussed that many times before.

CRC =

Well, can you refute his claim mr troll? Can you prove your claim of Dr's killing 10x more people? I do not know which of you to believe because NEITHER of you provide any stats............
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
my doctor was concerned about introducing his kid to a gun at 10years old , so I actually encouraged him since my kids shot from 5yrs. old and they are quite safe with guns,  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Should doctors ask about guns?  

No.

ETA - well, only if they are interested in buying one.  Then they should probably ask some questions before their purchase.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Heck, doctors kill TEN TIMES more people that  people with guns do...last I heard there were over 100,000 dead per-year due to medical negligence; compare that to about 10,000 murders per year.

There fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC =

I have a better idea, why dont you post some evidence exonerating the medical profession from this charge and maybe, just maybe I'll change my mind. My personal experience with doctors has been that they are mostly a bunch of overpaid retards. Without exception, I've been misdiagnosed no less than six-times for the same concern. Then I'VE gone on the internet, looked up the symptoms, printed out the treatment, gone back to the doctors office and demanded they follow-it. And wouldnt you know it, I got cured.  

I've had to do this three times in my life when I've had to seek somewhat minor medical attention.  I'm not kidding each time I was misdiagnosed at least six times until I intervened. So yeah, its reaaaal easy for me to believe this. Heck, my dad was getting acid-reflux meds for a heart condition. Thank god he went to a real doctor in London for a second opinion on a vacation. ..damned near saved his life.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC =

I have a better idea, why dont you post some evidence exonerating the medical profession from this charge and maybe, just maybe I'll change my mind. My personal experience with doctors has been that they are mostly a bunch of overpaid retards. Without exception, I've been misdiagnosed no less than six-times for the same concern. Then I'VE gone on the internet, looked up the symptoms, printed out the treatment, gone back to the doctors office and demanded they follow-it. And wouldnt you know it, I got cured.  

I've had to do this three times in my life when I've had to seek somewhat minor medical attention.  I'm not kidding each time I was misdiagnosed at least six times until I intervened. So yeah, its reaaaal easy for me to believe this. Heck, my dad was getting acid-reflux meds for a heart condition. Thank god he went to a real doctor in London for a second opinion on a vacation. ..damned near saved his life.

You call them retards keep going to them and they are the retards?  Just dont go then.  You would be happy and so would they.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC =

You call them retards keep going to them and they are the retards?  Just dont go then.  You would be happy and so would they.

So your solution to gross incompetence is to just stop going huh? Nice, glad to see you strive for excellence in life.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC =

Absolutely. People like this made a shambles of my day regularly and affected my interactions as well as time with other more decent patients.

As for the stats, look 'em up. And then see who really "killed all these patients".  All bullshit that I have hashed over more times than I can count here. Not going to keep doing so either.  Believe what you want, go chew on some leaves or do aroma therapy or some other such bullshit.  AS ARDOC said, you'd be happier, we'd be happier.

Now as for the question, I don't have a problem with docs asking provided they don't have an agenda.  We do discuss all sorts of safety issues in the home. Part of well child check ups. At least it is supposed to be. And guns are as legitimate of a concern as swimming pools, alcohol, drugs, sex, poisons, seatbelts, car seats, etc.  All things we are supposed to discuss and more.

Now, I quit asking that one after the first time as the family got all fucking bent out of shape even though I am the furthest thing from an anti you will ever find. Just not worth it. Fact is that we discuss very sensitive issues with people all the time and some just get way bent out of shape when you try to actually discuss their problem and the remedies.  Plenty of people get pissed just in asking questions in taking a history and trying to get at the root of the problem.  As if they have any fucking clue most of the time the thought process you have to go thru in forming a differential diagnosis and whittling that down. You're mostly all fucking nuts. And stupid as hell also. So I got out of family med and did urgent care and now I have had enough of shitheads like this.   Further, it has been my experience that the best and brightest in medicine are often the most disillusioned, dislike it most and retire ASAP.  There is a reason for that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC =

So your solution to gross incompetence is to just stop going huh? Nice, glad to see you strive for excellence in life.  

Why dont you take some responsibility and use your feet to choose.  Would you take your car to someone that didnt fix it correctly?  But you would take yourself to the so called retard over and over again?  So who is the retard again?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.
Accidental deaths per physician: 0.171
(U.S. Dept.of Health & Human Services)
Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups): 1,500.
Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188
Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Here is the link
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
All that aside, Doctors have no buisness asking about guns in the home.
Owning a gun is not  a "risk factor"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.
Accidental deaths per physician: 0.171
(U.S. Dept.of Health & Human Services)
Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups): 1,500.
Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188
Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Here is the link

I have seen the link and it is bullshit. Like I said, I have hashed this out enough times here. Not again.

Delve deeper.

I can put up a bunch of bullshit on a website or print it out an mail it. That doesn't make it either true or accurate.  Do you believe everything they print in the newspaper, put on CNN, etc?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Back to the topic....

What does having a firearm in the home have to do with medical condition?  Mechanics don't ask me if I excercise regularly when I take my car in.  Accountants don't care if I have a well balanced diet.  What good does that information for a doctor?  Is he/she going to diagnose my strep throat or herniated disk or whatever differently depending on how I answer?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]
It could be useful for mental health screening.

Example:

Please Check One:

_.45       _9mm

_AR-15   _AK-47

_1911     _Glock

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, that is just not true.
Though, in my case I think not owning a gun is also a risk factor.

My advice to all of you when they present these questions is just write none of your business across all of them and then we are off the hook and it gives us more time for other patients.  Hell, 50% of the kids I saw in family med where there for ADD meds anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#23]
No.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag, b/c I see this getting very interesting in the near future
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Could a Dr. here please tell me why they do this?  Do any Dr.'s here do this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Back to the topic....

What does having a firearm in the home have to do with medical condition?  Mechanics don't ask me if I excercise regularly when I take my car in.  Accountants don't care if I have a well balanced diet.  What good does that information for a doctor?  Is he/she going to diagnose my strep throat or herniated disk or whatever differently depending on how I answer?

What do seatbelts, car seats, poisons in cabinets,etc have to do with it?
There is more to medicine than waiting until someone is poisoned or sick. Many causes of death can be PREVENTED.

I'll tell you what the problem is though. So many people are so fucking stupid, so irresponsible and worthless that the repsonsibility has fallen on docs to teach these retards how to parent.  A lost art by the way.  Many of the patients I see(not a cross section) are retards and haven't a clue how to parent. NOT A CLUE.  And we can be sued over incredibly sutpid shit such as this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Could a Dr. here please tell me why they do this?  Do any Dr.'s here do this?

I already did. See above.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that is just not true.
Though, in my case I think not owning a gun is also a risk factor.

My advice to all of you when they present these questions is just write none of your business across all of them and then we are off the hook and it gives us more time for other patients.  Hell, 50% of the kids I saw in family med where there for ADD meds anyhow.

Judging by your previous postings, you seem to know your shit, so I will defer to you on this.
What I highlighted in blue is the best course of action.

I think gunnies tend to be uncomfortable when asked about firearms because we are always wondering what their agenda is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Back to the topic....

There is more to medicine than waiting until someone is poisoned or sick. Many causes of death can be PREVENTED.

I'll tell you what the problem is though. So many people are so fucking stupid, so irresponsible and worthless that the repsonsibility has fallen on docs to teach these retards how to parent.  A lost art by the way.  Many of the patients I see(not a cross section) are retards and haven't a clue how to parent. NOT A CLUE.  And we can be sued over incredibly sutpid shit such as this.

I still just don't see why this is something that should be asked.  There are THOUSANDS of items we come across in daily life that could be deadly.  Why single out this to ask?  Why not ask if they clean the lint from the dryer to avoid fires?  Do they keep candles around the house?  Matches?  Do you check the expiration dates on perishable goods?  Clean the chimney yearly?  Do you have any furniture with sharp corners?  

Not trying to be difficult or argumentative, just don't understand.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#30]
it's none of their fucking business.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Only if a gun was the reason for seeing the doctor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The Doctor can ask it if he wants a boundary violation complaint filed with the state medical review board.

LMAO.  You don't actually think that would even be taken seriously do you?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#35]
The CDC is very active in gun control.  It is a health issue they say.  Our imperial federal govt. can make anything they want their biz and there is little or nothing you can do about it.  We asked for it.  We got it.  

Now sit back down on your asses and watch what happens the next 50 years!  

(and don't ask me WTF I do because I'm just like you.......fat, lazy and happy!)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Back to the topic....

I still just don't see why this is something that should be asked.  There are THOUSANDS of items we come across in daily life that could be deadly.  Why single out this to ask?  Why not ask if they clean the lint from the dryer to avoid fires?  Do they keep candles around the house?  Matches?  Do you check the expiration dates on perishable goods?  Clean the chimney yearly?  Do you have any furniture with sharp corners?  

Not trying to be difficult or argumentative, just don't understand.

It isn't singled out. there are a number of things we ask about. Or at least are supposed to. Obviously we concentrate on the major stuff.

Now, remember that a very large number of childhood deaths and injuries are due to accidents.  In a perfect world people would act like parents instead of large kids with little ones but thanks to the direction socialists have taken this country it is what we deal with.

We do talk about tables with sharp corners.
Sometimes fire extinguishers, matches and lighters.

I understand the problem with the gun question though as these are all set up by the Amer Acad of Pediatrics, one of the most left wing segments of the medical profession. Around here though almost everyone has guns so it is less an issue. If you are on the coast it is probably a different matter. Unfortuantely though, it has become something known as the "Standard of Care" with the liability that is associated with it.  It is always someone else's fault.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Doctor can ask it if he wants a boundary violation complaint filed with the state medical review board.

LMAO.  You don't actually think that would even be taken seriously do you?

Its a complaint, once in the system, it has to be investigated and responded to.  It will eat his time and that is money.

It eats no time. Not for something like that. I probably wouldn't even have to respond to that nor would I likely do so.  If I were to it would be a one or two liner into the dictaphone for my transcriptionist to type up.  I sign it, they mail it out, end of story.
Maybe you shouldn't act like everyone is an anti.

That said, if your kids doc is, or is obnoxious about it, find another.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Our first pediatrician was Dr. Francesco Beuf. He asked us if there were guns in the house and then told us they should be stored properly. I just gave him a look.

Who is Dr. Franceso Beuf?

He was JonBenet Ramsey's pediatrician.

We see somebody else now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Our first pediatrician was Dr. Francesco Beuf. He asked us if there were guns in the house and then told us they should be stored properly. I just gave him a look.

And WTF was wrong with that?

He did what he was supposed to in the least intrusive way possible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Two years ago, I went to my normal doctor's office on my lunch break to get my allergies checked on.  I checked in, the nurse showed me to the room, and I plopped myself on the examining table.  I was wearing my normal work outfit, which is to say nice shoes, slacks, button shirt, and tie.  Since I was technically on duty (investigator for local PD), I didn't take off my other work gear, including my handcuffs, OC, portable radio, badge, and of course my Glock 22 holstered on my right hip.  I figured he was just going to look up my nose and in my ears, so no point in even loosening my tie, and I just kind of tied my jacket around my hips and left it at that.  My doctor is super cool, and knows what I do for a living, but there's no point in causing a scene.

He comes in, pokes and prods, and is chatting away about my allergy medicine when he stops.  I follow his gaze downwards, and sure enough, he's staring right at my Glock.  Oh crap, I think, here it comes, and I brace for the preaching.  Instead, he just smiles.

"Is that a 9mm or a .40cal?  I've been thinking about getting a 9mm?"

I took him shooting the next week, and he now owns a Glock 19.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#44]
You guys are assuming all docs are antis and I will admit they are out there but don't assume we all are.

Do I think it is appropriate to discuss firearms with a guy in for back pain? NO.
Do I think it is a reasonable part of the standard well child exam? You bet.
And the doc should should give guidelines and advice, leave the rest up to you.

What is the answer?
For people to be better parents. Period.
You guys have no frickin' idea the dirtbag parents we spend our days with. I was dealing with about 50-60% on Welfare/medical assistance.  They were in all the time because they couldn't handle ANYTHING on their own.  4 kids all with different last names. Moms decked out in nice clothes,  jewelery, tats, and the kids in dirty clothes, 3 days worth of food stuck to their faces, stinking of cigarette smoke, etc.  It is totally FUBAR'd and you have no idea.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#46]
NO!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And WTF was wrong with that?

He did what he was supposed to in the least intrusive way possible.

Nah, not really. You had to be there. Maybe I just reacted strangely since it was the first time I ever heard that question from a doctor. This was before JonBenet was whacked. I just ddn't like him practicing outside his chosen field.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You guys are assuming all docs are antis and I will admit they are out there but don't assume we all are.

Are you a member of any of these organizations?

Social activists are taking their war on gun ownership to a new battleground: the doctor’s office. (1) The American Medical Association (AMA) (2), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) (3), and American College of Physicians (ACP) (4) are urging doctors to probe their patients about guns in their homes. They profess concern for patient safety. But their ulterior motive is a political prejudice against guns and gun owners.

If your money is funding my enemies, I'll assume you're my enemy until you prove otherwise.

I vote with my dollars. I don't buy Levi's jeans. I don't buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

It's just a personal policy of mine not to buy someone the knife they're trying to stick in my back.

Yeah, I belonged to the AMA.  Even though I can't stand that fucking organization and refused membership, the clinics i worked in paid my dues regardless.

And I don't have to prove shit to anyone. I don't even practice anymore because I got sick of spending all my days in little windowless rooms with pathetic, ignorant, obnoxious, drug seeking losers and skanks.  Seems like every year there were more of the dregs and less nice people who actually had something wrong with them.

I am only trying to explain to you people the way it is. If it makes you feel better to take it out on the messenger, one of the strongest advocates for the 2nd Amendment you could ever meet, then so be it. Don't care even a small bit whether you see anyone at all much less me. Personally, I would rather you just all saw no one at this point, quit whining for pills you don't fucking need all the fucking time, acted like responsible parents, took better care of yourselves and got on with your GD lives. How's that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Well,

I know for a fact that the doctor who mis-medicated my mother and cause her PE 3 days after her surgery, and she died as a result - has killed more people than the P220 that I have on my hip right now.

BTW, I do not visit doctors unless I fail to have a heartbeat or lil' Al is in extreme peril. Then I'd need to actually think about whether I really want to go or not. Much rather fix it myself. Haven't visited a docter since 1991. Haven't missed it.

No, doctors have no business what my firearms are or if I have any, unless he wants to go shooting with me. Then I'd be happy to teach him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top