SRM

editted cause I can't type
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
[url]www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/06/27/pledge-hold.htm[/url]

SRM
View Quote
--------NO,what about seperation of church and state? ...O' I forgot thats bullshit spewed on us sheeple.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
you are damn right it should!

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
No. In fact there shouldn't be a "pledge of allegiance" at all. I pledge allegiance to no government nor any man. The government works for ME, not the other way around. There was no pledge of allegiance in 1789, when the republic was created. The pledge is a fascist concoction created during the 1890's to get support from individuals on both sides of the Civil War for whatever action the government wanted to take. I only pledge allegiance to God. The government should pledge allegiance to ME.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No. In fact there shouldn't be a "pledge of allegiance" at all. I pledge allegiance to no government nor any man. The government works for ME, not the other way around. There was no pledge of allegiance in 1789, when the republic was created. The pledge is a fascist concoction created during the 1890's to get support from individuals on both sides of the Civil War for whatever action the government wanted to take. I only pledge allegiance to God. The government should pledge allegiance to ME.
View Quote

Two words:

Oh Brother
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Two words:

Right on!
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
We need to keep GOD in our thoughts, and if you believe in the Constitution, in the Government. The Framers were Christians. The popular concept of the separation of church and state is a falicy. It is impossible to correctly perceive or interpret the meaning of the Constitution and indeed our body of law without a Judeo-Christian belief structure. This too is echoed in the documentation of the origins of the Nation. The humanist and anti-nationalist sentiments currently being propagated in the support of the "new world order" and "one world government" very much need to disemble the Constitution, and destroying first the existance of God (morals,ethics,responsibility to a higher authority)in government is a pre-requisite.

YES. God should be in the Pledge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I only pledge allegiance to God. The government should pledge allegiance to ME.
View Quote

Romans 13:1-7 (NLT)

1 Obey the government, for God is the one who put it there. All governments have been placed in power by God. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow. 3 For the authorities do not frighten people who are doing right, but they frighten those who do wrong. So do what they say, and you will get along well. 4 The authorities are sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for you will be punished. The authorities are established by God for that very purpose, to punish those who do wrong. 5 So you must obey the government for two reasons: to keep from being punished and to keep a clear conscience.
6 Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid so they can keep on doing the work God intended them to do. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and import duties, and give respect and honor to all to whom it is due.

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Flame away crusaders!!
[img]www.swensonfunnies.com/clipart/blasph06.gif[/img]
[url]http://godlessamericans.org/[/url]
[b]
There are millions of Godless Americans. The latest American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) reflects that nearly 13% of the population has no religion. This includes millions who identify themselves with labels such as Atheist, Freethinker, Humanist and others. There are over 30,000,000 of us, a figure larger than most American religious denominations.[/b]

And no, I don't think "god" should or needs to be in any part of politics, in any way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We need to keep GOD in our thoughts, and if you believe in the Constitution, in the Government. The Framers were Christians. The popular concept of the separation of church and state is a falicy. It is impossible to correctly perceive or interpret the meaning of the Constitution and indeed our body of law without a Judeo-Christian belief structure. This too is echoed in the documentation of the origins of the Nation. The humanist and anti-nationalist sentiments currently being propagated in the support of the "new world order" and "one world government" very much need to disemble the Constitution, and destroying first the existance of God (morals,ethics,responsibility to a higher authority)in government is a pre-requisite.

View Quote

Right on.

--LS
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
When the day comes that this nation is no longer under God it will be under the state..
and when it is under the state it is no longer the nation it was born to be.....and if no longer  one nation under God than its not worth alliegance to anymore than the UN or Communist China or Saudi Arabi is worth alliegance to...
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever. Commerce between master and slave is despotism. Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than these people are to be free. Establish the law for educating the common people. This it is the business of the state to effect and on a general plan. -Thomas Jefferson

--LS
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Since when is acknowledging the existance of a supreme being a prerequisite for moral behavior?

So, the question really is...why can't people acknowledge the inherent benefit of moral behavior...its inherent goodness...without relying on the crutch...the excuse...of the supernatural?

Must the threat of eternal damnation be ones only reason to behave in a moral fashion?  Sounds like extortion to me.  And, if one only behaves in a moral fashion out of the extortion of one's soul, is that person truly behaving morally?  I say no.  The underlying principle behind one's moral behavior is every bit as important as the behavior itself.

So, should "God" be in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Should there be a Pledge of Allegiance?

I dont mind a 'Pledge really.  Given that the United States is fundamentally capitalistic and I am a laissez-faire capitalist and individualist (perhaps some redundancy in that last statement..but I digress) it doesn't bother me.  The United States could use a bit more patriotism.  But, without any hint of theocracy.  The "Under God" schtick should be taken back out.

And yes, as a preemptive comeback...the whole "In God we Trust" on our currency...get it out.  Consistency consistency consistency.

Zippy The (agnostic) Wonderdog.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL DarkHelmet

I agree with buddyman, except that I am not really religious, so I pledge allegiance to nothing, save my family and the constitution.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Some people need to study their history from a different, non religious perspective.
It was stated the "framers of the Constitution were Christian", that is not even close to the fact.
They were politicians, how often did we see Slick Willie walking out of church.
Leave it in.
But take away the tax exempt status for churches, why should I make up the tax loss for someone else's beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
My opinion,

No God.
No Pledge.

I do not believe there is a god.

I believe that all humans should treat all humans the way they want to be treated.

This constitution should be re-written to state, "This is a country of free thinkers, created by free thinkers for free thinkers."

The only rule we need is " If it doesn't hurt anyone else....it is legal."

Smoke pot? Go for it.

Ride your motorcycle without a helmet? Its your head.

Want to carry a machine gun? Carry two.

Want to drink and drive? Nope, not going to kill my family.

Want to molest a child? Nope, children cannot make those decisions.

Want to smoke in public place? That one would be up to the individual business, if you don't want to breathe smoke don't go there.

Bottom line is...we humans as a species and a society are way behind in human development...it is time to give up the "Gods" and the other crap and realize WE ARE IN CONTROL OF OUR OWN DESTINIES...PERIOD.

When you die your dead...just like my dog...just like a monkey....the only difference between us and them is we have the ability to communicate and make up all this b.s.  500 years from now we will be looking back at 21st century earth and laughing like we are now at the Egyptians and the people who thought the earth was flat.

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
NO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only pledge allegiance to God. The government should pledge allegiance to ME.
View Quote

Romans 13:1-7 (NLT)

1 Obey the government, for God is the one who put it there. All governments have been placed in power by God. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow. 3 For the authorities do not frighten people who are doing right, but they frighten those who do wrong. So do what they say, and you will get along well. 4 The authorities are sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for you will be punished. The authorities are established by God for that very purpose, to punish those who do wrong. 5 So you must obey the government for two reasons: to keep from being punished and to keep a clear conscience.
6 Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid so they can keep on doing the work God intended them to do. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and import duties, and give respect and honor to all to whom it is due.

View Quote

China (MOA sent by god you say)

USSR   (Stalin sent by god you say)

Germany (Hitler sent by god you say)

Cuba     (Castor sent by god you say)

France   ( they smell funny )

-----STAN  (muslim cleric sent by god you say ) Take you pick of any one of the "STAN" contrys currently involed in whipping people and trading woman

Iran

Iraq

Goverment and GOD and the bible is like giving a 3 year old a loaded gun, If he shoots you can you blame the kid ?

[>(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top