Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/17/2009 9:00:00 AM EST
I recently moved into a new area and I've been pulled over twice by different officers of the same police department that were simply fishing. I drove out of my apartments, and not 10 seconds after leaving the gates I was lit up (I could not have been doing anything wrong). The officer just asked me what I was doing driving out at 3:00AM. He does not ask me for my information.

Later that same night, coming home from a research lab (what I was doing) at 4:30AM another officer the same department pulls me over (was not speeding). Walks around my car and asks me what I'm doing. He does not ask for my information.

My roommate came in last night saying the another officer of the same department pulled him over while he was driving under (40 in a 45) the speed limit. He tells my roommate one of his headlights are out, tells him to roll down his windows (my roommate complies), and the officer takes my roommate's information and registration. Another squad car pulls up and boxes my roommate's car in.

The first officer tells my roommate that he could write him a ticket for the headlights, but he won't. My roommate asks if he can see the headlights (he knows for sure they're working), the officer tells him to stay in his car and drive home. He and I visually inspect his headlights, they work.

Should I worry?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:02:47 AM EST
Start asking for name and badge number whenever they pull you over....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:03:13 AM EST
IN

Looks like they're searching for someone, Im pretty sure they have no right to randomly pull you over.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:04:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chris0013:

Yes, and tell them you know your rights and that you pay their salary.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:04:44 AM EST
Sounds like your neighbors may be in the drug trafficking business.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:10:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By operatorerror:

I wouldn't go that far...but if you wind up having the same guys pulling you over for no reason then keep records....it might come in handy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:18:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 9:18:46 AM EST by FMJshooter]
Sounds like there might be some dealers in the complex.

War on drugs > Your rights.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:19:14 AM EST
I would tell them that you are concerned and want to know if there is anything in your neighborhood that you should know about. Like drug users, a high crime rate, etc. they may see you as a concerned citizen and might even remember you the next time and leave you alone. I do this all the time. When I see an LEO in my neighborhood I stop next to him and ask if there is a problem. I think they should be obligated to inform citizens of any potential threats in the area. They all know me somewhat now and are alway more than happy to say..."yeah there was a report of suspicious vehicles, or we had a break in,etc." And I politely tell them thank you and to be safe out there. They have a duty to inform and work with the citizens. We used to call it neighborhood watch but now too many people are lazy and don't care so the Neighborhood watch programs have started to fade away. But just try asking them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:21:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By NotSoSharpShooter:
Sounds like your neighbors may be in the drug trafficking business.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:21:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By FMJshooter:

I honestly don't understand. I work IT, drive a very standard car (2004 Honda Accord) dressed for work (business attire) my roommate is a tennis coach (drives a 2000 Acura RL) how does that even register on anyone's radar as potential drug dealers. I was under the impression drug dealers would have much better or much worse rides than ours and much worse appearance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:22:28 AM EST
Where is this?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:23:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 9:25:36 AM EST by JamesP81]
At a guess, I'd say they're looking for someone in particular. Hard to say though.

ETA: I got stopped for speeding once and the questions the cop asked made me realize they were definitely looking for someone. Normally, first thing they ask for is license and registration. Not this time. First thing the guy asks me "Is this your car?" Seemed kind of strange until I remembered that the bank in my town had been robbed the day before by a guy driving a red car (I drive a maroon colored Nissan).
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:27:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By bcw107:
Where is this?

South of the DFW airport, won't mention which department just in case.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:37:09 AM EST
Could always be something else. In my old neighborhood a guy up the street from us got busted for dealing pot. He was an upper middle class guy in his 40's, wife two kids the whole bit. Just never know what them wacky neighbors are up to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:46:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By operatorerror:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:48:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By sweatpants:

Originally Posted By FMJshooter:

I honestly don't understand. I work IT, drive a very standard car (2004 Honda Accord) dressed for work (business attire) my roommate is a tennis coach (drives a 2000 Acura RL) how does that even register on anyone's radar as potential drug dealers. I was under the impression drug dealers would have much better or much worse rides than ours and much worse appearance.

They think you're customers, not dealers. The dealers probably live in the apartment complex.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:48:37 AM EST
Do you have a dog? Can't believe it wasn't asked yet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:50:08 AM EST
Better hide your dog
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:54:58 AM EST
I recently moved into a new area and I've been pulled over twice by different officers of the same police department that were simply fishing. I drove out of my apartments, and not 10 seconds after leaving the gates I was lit up (I could not have been doing anything wrong). The officer just asked me what I was doing driving out at 3:00AM. He does not ask me for my information.

Later that same night, coming home from a research lab (what I was doing) at 4:30AM another officer the same department pulls me over (was not speeding). Walks around my car and asks me what I'm doing. He does not ask for my information.

My roommate came in last night saying the another officer of the same department pulled him over while he was driving under (40 in a 45) the speed limit. He tells my roommate one of his headlights are out, tells him to roll down his windows (my roommate complies), and the officer takes my roommate's information and registration. Another squad car pulls up and boxes my roommate's car in.

The first officer tells my roommate that he could write him a ticket for the headlights, but he won't. My roommate asks if he can see the headlights (he knows for sure they're working), the officer tells him to stay in his car and drive home. He and I visually inspect his headlights, they work.

Should I worry?

Probably misaligned, blinding oncoming drivers
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:54:59 AM EST
Normally, you don't invite the police into your life, but since they seem to be targeting you both, I might just stoll into the PD and ask them what's up? Be sheepish about it, but maybe they are looking for somebody (not you two) and your visit puts them on notice to figure out who's driving what cars.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:57:57 AM EST
Hmm...well, if I were just pulled over for the hell of it, and asked "What are you doing out at 3AM"...I would ask him what HE was doing out at 3AM. I would immediately ask why I was pulled over and what his name was.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:01:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By LordSkeletor:
Hmm...well, if I were just pulled over for the hell of it, and asked "What are you doing out at 3AM"...I would ask him what HE was doing out at 3AM. I would immediately ask why I was pulled over and what his name was.

I thought about it in the 10 seconds I had, but I decided ultimately I didn't want to make a "What are you doing?" turn into a "License and registration" and I hand him my CHL and "Step out of the car please."
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:06:59 AM EST
You are screwed.

Dibs on guns, ammo, optics.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:07:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:13:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
An officer can't just randomly pull you over they need an actual violation.

If you feel you are being targeted, file a complaint with the department.

How do I do this? Will this lead to more stops?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:15:29 AM EST

Keep that attitude up and we'll take your jack boots away.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:18:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:20:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 10:22:44 AM EST by sweatpants]

How do I do this? Will this lead to more stops?

Actually since you posted the area, I'm a little confused. I've been in that area and iirc it's covered by a major metro PD. So I would have a hard time believing they are targeting you and your roommate since there would be many different officers working the area.

If you get stopped again I would listen VERY carefully to what they say. Because again you can't stop someone for no reason. Did you enter the roadway without coming to a complete stop, etc?

Also I stopped a guy the other day for a headlight out. When I got him out of the car to show him it was working again. However he did tell his brother had told him the headlight was out so he obviously has a short. So these things do happen.

You know I thought the same about the headlights, but as far as my stops go it still doesn't make sense. I have to wait for a timed gate to open, that takes approx. 15-30 seconds, and there is a stop sign right behind this gate. So I always have to stop regardless.

And the other stop was random, driving home in the rain nice and slow and stopping so the weight shifts on the car.

ETA: Well fuck it I guess, I live right on the border of Grand Prairie and Arlington. I see loads of both of these guys on a daily basis, but the guys stopping us randomly on 360 are GPPD.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:39:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 10:40:04 AM EST by 40BOY]
There is obviously something specific that they're looking for.

Does your town paper publish a police blotter? What kind of arrests are they making?

Maybe there has been a rash of car break-ins in your apartment complex? They look in your car for the loot/burglary tools in plain sight.

Someone in your complex is selling dope? Looking for signs / odors of drug use by you, to use you to help them get evidence against dealer.

Do you look out of place for that neighborhood?

You may not have been doing anything wrong, and have every right to be there, but there is a higher propensity of seeing something illegal at 4AM than there is at 4PM, for someone who cares to look.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:41:14 AM EST

Should I worry?

Well, it sure sounds like you're being fucked with.

Watch your cornhole...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:44:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 10:48:27 AM EST by LightningII]
oh, Grand Prairie.
they've never impressed me. when I used to eat lunch at a Luby's on 303, there were always GP guys in there.
Scruffy uniforms, generally unkempt looking.

tell them that if they're looking for something to do, to try the convenience stores along Jefferson and Beltline. i'm sure they're hopping with talent at 3:00 AM.
Top Top