Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/21/2016 10:38:19 AM EDT
So I'm graduating next month with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.  I'm very tired of school and have had a strained relationship with the university and faculty because of a lot of stupidity.  On top of all that, my classmates annoy the living shit out of me (big tech schools draw really weird kids) and I'll be getting my commission into the Army about 2 hrs later so I'd have to wear my ASUs under my cap and gown.  My parents obviously want to see me walk across the stage, but I just think its going to be painful and complicate things with my commissioning.

Did any of you guys skip your graduation?  Did you regret it?  Are you glad you went?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:39:41 AM EDT
I actually got a refund from not going to mine, I didn't have to pay for the cap and gown.

It was like $100.

My parents didn't really care, I was an adult, and they watched me graduate high school.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:40:01 AM EDT
With as long as Ive been in college, Id be embarassed to walk honestly.

I dont want to.

But likely will for family.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:40:36 AM EDT
I went because it was in my mind a major milestone.  So in a way I'm glad I went.  It's up to you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:40:38 AM EDT
I didn't do a high school or college graduation.  Seems like a waste of time to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:41:30 AM EDT
How much do they charge you for it?

They actually thought I was going to pay $200 to attend the graduation ceremony when I went to college.  Turns out, the ceremony was not a requirement to graduation.  Easy skip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:42:00 AM EDT
Just do it.  You'll make your parents happy and all you'll lose will be a single morning that you probably wouldn't have done anything useful with anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:43:14 AM EDT
I almost skipped mine but decided to go so my parents could see me walk...

Looking back it wasn't a huge deal. Took all day though -- Bring a flask.

I don't regret it but don't think I'd have regretted it if I'd skipped.

I'd rather regret things I did than regret the things I didn't do
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:43:15 AM EDT
I went to my graduation simply because my aunt flew over a thousand miles to be there for me. She was the only family that showed up.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:44:14 AM EDT
I'm graduating this May and I don't plan on walking.  Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd skip the walk, do your commission with bar clothes underneath your ASUs and hit the bar afterwards.

Disclosure: I'll only have an AAS in wrench turning, nothing fancy like a 4 year degree.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:44:30 AM EDT
The graduation ceremony isn't for you.  It's for you parents.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:46:37 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not if they didn't pay for school.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:47:12 AM EDT
I skipped, had a fun vacation to start.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:47:16 AM EDT
Quoted:
I'm graduating this May and I don't plan on walking.  Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd skip the walk, do your commission with bar clothes underneath your ASUs and hit the bar afterwards.

Disclosure: I'll only have an AAS in wrench turning, nothing fancy like a 4 year degree.
View Quote

I graduate next week with a fancy 4 year degree and wont be walking.

My family is pretty pissed but I'm 28 and I'm too old for that shit.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:48:07 AM EDT
Its just a ceremony.
You'll still get the diploma.
I'm like you OP.  I hated school and wanted to be done and GTFO.
Save some $ and time go to you other function and forget the graduation. They take HOURS anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:48:55 AM EDT
Did my undergraduate ceremony

Skipped my graduate.  Glad I did.

Ain't no big thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:51:13 AM EDT
I would also have skipped mine if it wasn't for my folks wanting to see me.  I vote do something nice for your parents, especially since it sounds like you'll be away from them for a while.  Give them something nice to remember you while you're away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:51:53 AM EDT
I skipped it but would have attended if my family wanted me to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:52:05 AM EDT
I skipped mine.  Mrs. vim and I were riding south out of campus on my motorcycle as "Pomp and Ceremony" was playing.  It didn't mean anything to us.

Now we both regret it.  I regret not giving my parents the satisfaction of seeing the family's first college graduate getting his diploma.  They worked hard and sacrificed for many years, and a young vim didn't value or respect that effort correctly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:53:34 AM EDT
I skipped my undergraduate ceremony, but attended law school graduation.  The hoods were fo-shizzle
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:53:41 AM EDT
I didn't go to my undergrad (where who cares...I was one of a bazillion kids) but i did go to my dental school ceremonies (where there were only 88 DDS and 24 DH students). My parents drove-up from LA to San Fran to watch.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:54:50 AM EDT
I didn't go to my high school, my parents were upset. I went to my college graduation, but at that point my Mother had passed. I guess it's up to you, just remember the day maybe mostly about you but others may appreciate the opportunity to show some pride.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:29 AM EDT

If you think your parents want to see it, I'd do it.

I was 24 for undergrad and 26 masters, so wasn't a really big deal for me personally.  Family didn't seem to concerned with it so I passed on walking.

Good think I didn't try to walk on the masters, my orals/thesis defense Appearantly didn't get recorded at the time,  so they told me I hadn't graduated when I first went to pick up my degree.  Would have been embarrassing
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:17 AM EDT
Do it for your parents. Parents like to see their kids achieve, to them that may be seeing you actually walk across the stage.

Do it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:29 AM EDT
I wanted to walk out of mine. So did half the crowd.

The commencement speaker spent 20 minutes talking about the importance of giving back to the university and contributing to the alumni association. We hadn't even received our diplomas yet (mailed out later, they hand you an empty cover), most of the graduates had some amount of student loan debt, and they couldn't wait one fucking day before they start asking for cash.

OP, if you paid your own way (cash or debt, doesn't matter) then skip it. It doesn't matter, and they don't even give you the damn diploma at the ceremony.

If someone else helped you out (parents, whatever) then suck it up and go. Its painless, just useless, but your mom may want a photo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:32 AM EDT
I didnt tell anybody I was graduating therefore nobody knew.  I let them know afterwards.  My wife was pissed I didn't tell her.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:57:28 AM EDT
I was in a similar situation 27 years ago (Architecture UofF). My $0.02- Go. It will be a good moment of closure for you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:58:45 AM EDT
I really wanted to skip mine, but ended up going anyways.

You should go and just get it over with.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:59:20 AM EDT
I skipped mine, walked up to the dean after it was over and asked for my diploma.

No regrets really, it seemed like an anti-climax, I just wasn't in the mood for it.

I did go to a graduation party after the last day of exams.

I still have dreams all the time that I didn't study for an exam and I'm not going to graduate.

Then I wake up and the relief washes over me.

I got my master's degree almost 20 years ago, so you'd think I would stop having the dream.

If your parents want you to go, you should be a guy and go.

You seem like you're being bitter and stubborn for no particular reason.

All that hate is going to burn you up kid.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:01:22 AM EDT
Not going to mine, waste of money that could be put to better use elsewhere. Like paying my student loans, or buying more gun stuff....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:01:30 AM EDT
It was free when I graduated in 1995 (well, I guess the cap and gown weren't, but the actual ceremony was).

I would do it again, but then I'm not a grumpy anti-social person in person.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:02:07 AM EDT
Do your parents want to see you walk (and do you care what they want)?  If yes, and yes, then do it.  More so if they helped pay.

My old man could have given two shits about the PITA ceremony and would have much preferred just going to lunch or whatever.  He was happy knowing the degree  and job were there.  But mom wanted it.  The end.

Having said that I'd would have had no issue at all skipping if my folks would have been fine with it.  College isn't high school.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:02:51 AM EDT
I walked for my dad and my late mother. She would have wanted to see me walk before she passed. I wouldn't have walked otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:03:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:03:32 AM EDT
I was in the same situation, burnt out, sick of school, I skipped my (talking College obviously) graduation.

That was over 30 years ago, I have zero regrets to this day, YMMV.

ETA for your Parents, maybe in your situation you should.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:03:54 AM EDT
I skipped mine, and that decision has not kept me up at night. I had better shit to do than wait 3 hours to walk across a stage.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:04:11 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:05:25 AM EDT
I bugged out a few hours after my last class.

No regrets at all. I had no interest in the ceremony.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:05:31 AM EDT
Everything in this life isn't about you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:06:28 AM EDT
Don't skip it. It is the period at the end of that sentence. For me it felt good to go and get closure on that chapter of my life.

Oh yes, it was also the day a super hot gal from one of my classes made a hail marry pass at me. She said she couldn't get my attention during the class and figured it was now or never. All I can say is I am damn glad I didn't miss my graduation!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:06:55 AM EDT
2 hours later you go get your commission, damn sure do not be late for that one.

College graduations can drag the fuck on FOREVER.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:07:05 AM EDT
25 years later, I don't remember one thing about my college graduation...and I wasn't even drunk.  I've seen pictures and I vaguely remember going, so I know I did it.  I guess it wasn't a very memorable experience for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:07:17 AM EDT

I skipped my high school graduation, didn't care for the caps, gowns and worthless speeches. No regrets... especially since I was sitting on a beach with a female on the night of the ceremony.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:07:33 AM EDT
Quoted:
I was in a similar situation 27 years ago (Architecture UofF). My $0.02- Go. It will be a good moment of closure for you.
View Quote

You watch too many Lifetime Channel movies.

Apparently you think the OP is a 40ish divorced woman who was dumped by her husband for a younger woman.

But she's found a quiet man to share her life with, who has restored her sense of self worth with his healing love.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:16:52 AM EDT
Same situation as OP.  Commissioning  ran simultaneously to graduation.  Guess which one I attended.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:18:12 AM EDT
Quoted:

Apparently you think the OP is a 40ish divorced woman who was dumped by her husband for a younger woman.

But she's found a quiet man to share her life with, who has restored her sense of self worth with his healing love.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't listen to him.  Use it as coming out party.  Dance across the stage to "The Sound of Music".  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:18:45 AM EDT
I'm 33 years old and have been in school for about 8 years on and off.  I graduate in 3 weeks and wouldn't miss it for the world.  It doesn't sound like walking is very important to you so just make sure you won't regret it in the future.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:19:03 AM EDT
Skipped mine, couldn't see any reason to join 2000 other faces in the crowd.  I did go get my honors tassel and diploma cover before hand.  Diplomas were mailed out later anyway.  Stayed home and drank beer, too rainy to go fishing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:31 AM EDT
I took a victory lap in college and graduated a year after everyone else I started with(Engineering for me, other degrees for them).  I did not walk.  I do not regret it at all but then again I didn't hang out with anyone in my degree and my roommate that was in my degree had graduated a semester before and already moved.  I really had no want to walk and just went on to working.  I wish I had taken some time off and traveled a bit.  However that is a different story.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:23:09 AM EDT
I went to pick mine up from the school after graduating and one of the deans decided he would try to give me some long speech about how important it was to attend graduation.

I stopped the guy a couple sentences in and told him I was on my lunch break from my job and he could either hand over my diploma or I would have a lawyer contact him.

He handed it over and followed me out the building telling me how disrespectful I was to the university.  

I got what I was there for.  There was no way I was willing to pay more money and take time off from my new job to go to a graduation ceremony.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:25:19 AM EDT
Just to add, I just graduated in December so the details of the ceremony is still fresh.

You can take off early. They usually ask that people don't leave early but once they call your name and walk across the stage just keep on walking out to the car. Tell anyone who asks that you're going to your commissioning, no one will really care.

Depending on where your college is in line you can be in and out in less than an hour.

They might even recognize you and other graduates going directly into the military, my school gave them a standing ovation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.