Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/18/2004 6:42:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 3:45:34 AM EST by pathfinder74]
I have a few Hess and Texaco collection banks (trucks and what not) that are worth a few bucks. There's no guarantee how much I could make on them, but right now they are just sitting in the attic serving no purpose, while my gun-toy wishlist continues to grow.

Should I sell them and buy what I want or leave them in the attic in the hopes that someday they'll be worth more.

I'm about 75% for selling them.

I wouldn't expect to make enough to buy a complete gun, but I'd really like to at least buy a bunch of accessories for one of my AR's... eespecially parts that are now non-ban (Ace Ltd M4 SOCOM).

Since this is pretty much my only resource to tap for buying anything gun related it seems more and more appealing every time I think about it.

Times are tough. Money is tight. We're at war ya know.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:44:38 PM EST
What ...are you kiddin'?
BTW, Where were you at the last shoot?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:50:14 PM EST
Sell them. Anything not a gun should be liquidated to buy something gun related.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:55:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Pangea:
Sell them. Anything not a gun should be liquidated to buy something gun related.

Does that include women, children, pets, and furniture? If I put all them on eBay I stand a good chance of buying a nice collection...

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:56:00 PM EST
Sell them. its harsh tosay this, but they are just toys. Guns are tools as well as being fun, and you should buy evreything you can in case they ban them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:05:10 AM EST
keep em cause one day when the money is flowing and you have more guns than you know what to do with you might want those toys back. I as a rule never get rid of anything that i might regret. Never know maybe your kids will be into it.

Its also nice to have old toys for the kids when they are growing up so that you dont have to spend all that cash on the newest Xbox or whatever. "Hey, heres some lincoln logs, go have some fun." is alot cheaper if you know what i mean
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:14:21 AM EST
Well, I'm just some idiot on the internet.

I'd say talk to someone who knows a thing or two about them. See if they are expected to go up in value, and then make up your mind. One of those collector/antique types who knows what shit's worth.

Or you could just listen to a bunch of us internet jerks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:18:55 AM EST
Id sell them, there is alot of stuff I have gotten rid of.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:35:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Does that include women, children, pets, and furniture? If I put all them on eBay I stand a good chance of buying a nice collection...

YES!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:41:36 AM EST
My parents have been getting my brother and I Hess trucks every Christmas since the 80's. They are very collectible if they are left in the box, or in good condition out of the box, and worth more as a set. However, think how happy the kids/grandkids will be when they get a nice black rifle passed down to them. Not only is it worth some coin, but it's useful to boot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:59:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
My parents have been getting my brother and I Hess trucks every Christmas since the 80's. They are very collectible if they are left in the box, or in good condition out of the box, and worth more as a set. However, think how happy the kids/grandkids will be when they get a nice black rifle passed down to them. Not only is it worth some coin, but it's useful to boot.

Excellent idea... I figure my son will be raised on guns, so he'll appreciate getting those a lot more than some old toys.

When I was scraping together funds for my last major purchase (scope) I sold a shit load of toys/comic books that I was collectingfor about >15 years. They didn't really go up in value as much as I had expected and really only turned out as a static investment in which the only benefit was that it wasn't liquid cash that I could/would have spent a long time ago hadi not been buying that crap.

My biggest dilemna now seems to be that I have been going to various sites checking out the value of these things and it's very inconsistent... eBay doesn't seem to hold a high price on them, but som sites are priced so high I can't imagine anyone actually buying them. Hard to say which price is right and how I will actually sell them.

I'll keep you posted... if you're interested in the follow-up
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:02:06 AM EST
How much for the little girl?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:05:10 AM EST
I recntly sold some of my childhood toys on ebay. Made some nice money.Hell all they did was sit in storage up in the rafters.

I bought an awesome leupold scope and looking for an eotech and another 1911 at the gunshow this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:26:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
I recntly sold some of my childhood toys on ebay. Made some nice money.Hell all they did was sit in storage up in the rafters.

I bought an awesome leupold scope and looking for an eotech and another 1911 at the gunshow this weekend.

You're buying all that with the money you made from the toy sales on eBay? Did you have gold-plated G.I. Joes or what?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:53:54 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:58:33 AM EST
Your only two options are 1) Sell them 2) Blow them up with tannerite.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:09:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 8:10:15 AM EST by norman74]
I have quit collecting anything. I have gotten rid of guns that were collecting dust, comic books, beer bottles, whatever. Everything serves a purpose or it's gone. I am still on the quest to find the one perfect rifle (and it may not be an AR ) and couple of handguns.

I still have a giant box of Spawn action figures that I need to put up on Ebay. I just haven't wanted to take the time to sort through them. Hell, even the box hasn't been opened in over 3 years.

I am thinking of getting into collecting art, but it will serve two purposes; 1) to not make the walls look so bland and 2) investment.

ETA-
This isn't just about selling the toys to buy guns. If you said you were selling them to buy a deep fryer or a sofa I'd still say sell.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:31:07 AM EST
sell sell sell
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:27:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Don't love anything that can't love you back.
Top Top