Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2013 4:25:26 AM EDT
I bought a AR-15 at Wal-mart last week for $800 with the intent of selling another I have at a decent profit. Now I cant seem to bring myself to sell. The "What if?" factor got me to thinking that maybe this will be it. I have another AR, several AKs and a couple FALs but...What if?

What do you guys think? How many is enough? Sell make money or keep???
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Like my grandfather would say.

It aint eattin no hay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Buying a rifle with the intention to resell at profit would be illegal. I'd suggest deleting this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have an AR for each room of the house yet? If not Keep it!
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a AR-15 at Wal-mart last week for $800 with the intent of selling at a decent profit. Now I cant seem to bring myself to sell. The "What if?" factor got me to thinking that maybe this will be it. I have another AR, several AKs and a couple FALs but...What if?

Here comes the ATF...
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a AR-15 at Wal-mart last week for $800 with the intent of selling at a decent profit. Now I cant seem to bring myself to sell. The "What if?" factor got me to thinking that maybe this will be it. I have another AR, several AKs and a couple FALs but...What if?

Here comes the ATF...

Hide your Dag.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Buying a rifle with the intention to resell at profit would be illegal. I'd suggest deleting this.

By the letter of the law, it's only illegal if you do it repeatedly and with the intent of making a significant portion of your income doing it.  A one-off flip doesn't qualify.  Some idiot DA somewhere might over-reach, of course.
Oh, and OP, never sell a gun.  I believe that's the rule around here.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh, I meant that I bought that one to keep and sell another, which is a Bushmaster. Thanks for the correction...
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I meant that I bought that one to keep and sell another, which is a Bushmaster. Thanks for the correction...

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]
If you aren't happy with the rifle, it's your right to sell it privately.  It's also anyone right to pay what you're asking or not buy from you.

Free market, you're not breaking a law.  Now there's a guy on here hoping to buy a box of 20 uppers for $6000.  That'd be a harder story for personal collection than one simple rifle like yourself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you aren't happy with the rifle, it's your right to sell it privately.  It's also anyone right to pay what you're asking or not buy from you.

Free market, you're not breaking a law.  Now there's a guy on here hoping to buy a box of 20 uppers for $6000.  That'd be a harder story for personal collection than one simple rifle like yourself.

Uppers aren't weapons.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a AR-15 at Wal-mart last week for $800 with the intent of selling another I have at a decent profit. Now I cant seem to bring myself to sell. The "What if?" factor got me to thinking that maybe this will be it. I have another AR, several AKs and a couple FALs but...What if?

To me, guns are not about "making a decent profit". Guns are a invaluable tool to defend myself, my family and my property. KEEP BOTH
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buying and selling to better your collection is specifically stated by the BATF as NOT business activity.

Perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#14]
One is NONE
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Code says:
(11) The term “dealer” means

(A) any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail,
(B) any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms, or
(C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term “licensed dealer” means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

Some further definitions:
(21) The term “engaged in the business” means—

(A) as applied to a manufacturer of firearms, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured;
(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;
(C) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921 (a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;
(D) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921 (a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;
(E) as applied to an importer of firearms, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to importing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms imported; and
(F) as applied to an importer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to importing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition imported.

(22) The term “with the principal objective of livelihood and profit” means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection: Provided, That proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism. For purposes of this paragraph, the term “terrorism” means activity, directed against United States persons, which—
(A) is committed by an individual who is not a national or permanent resident alien of the United States;
(B) involves violent acts or acts dangerous to human life which would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States; and
(C) is intended—
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by assassination or kidnapping.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#17]
See if you can trade it for 5 stripped lowers in the EE

(After you scavenge the BCG of course)

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Not allowed in GD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top