Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2007 5:42:46 PM EDT
I used to play Blackhawk Down and Typhoon Rising online years ago, and was wondering if BF2 is worth getting into?

I usually play PS3/PS2 console multiplayer sims like Socom, Rainbow 6, etc...

I like to have fun w/o cheaters and hackers...

honest opinions?

Thanks in Advance,

~Troy
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
for every person that tells you that BF2 is awesome, there will be someone that tells you it sucks. FWIW, i enjoy playing BF2, when I have the time for it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, after all this time. I'm still playing it since I purchased it on release week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I am still playing.  It can be fun as hell, but it always pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I play it on xbox live. and have been playing it for a loooooong time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy it and play with Mods.

I have been playing it since the day it came out and it's a pretty good game. Project Reality, Point of Existence 2 and Desert Conflict are the mods I have been using.

IMO, they patched BF2 like no other and fucked it up so the only way I like to play it is with mods.

Nathan
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]
When I first bought the game I didn't like it. Then about a year later I picked it up and started playing it again. Now, I'm hooked on it. I say go ahead and start playing it if you've got the hardware for it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a group of arfcommers that play on a regular basis.  It's fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, get it.  It's in my top two or three with the Rainbow6 series.  The Armored Fury and Highway Tampa ad on packs and down loadable mods are a lot of fun if you like armor.  Just get used to staying up way too late playing with people on line.  I didn't like the BF2142 release, but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#9]
There are so many hackers and flaws with BF2, yet I still play it.  It's worth it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
At least a half a dozen + of us (Arfcom) playing every evening.

AR15.com BF2 Clan list

bf2tracker.com/bf2_clanprofile.php?clanid=128&bfmodid=0

IM me to get the PW to join the BF2 clan list.

Make sure you read the AR15 BF2 Xfire & Team Speak FAQ thread.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I may check it out...

What do I need to buy?

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Just don't buy a used copy. Used copies may have had their serial numbers banned for cheating/hacking, etc..

Battlefield 2 @ Walmart = $10
@ Amazon.com = $10

Battlefield 2: Delux Edition = $30 @ Best Buy
@newegg.com = $28
Includes Battlefield 2 & Special forces (expansion pack)

Battlefield Collection @ Walmart = $40
@ newegg.com = $37
@ Amazon.com = $38
includes BF2, Special Forces (expansion pack), Euro Forces & Armored Fury booster packs

Link Posted: 8/9/2007 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I like BF2. Pretty much the only game I play at the moment.

I use to be a huge Blackhawk Down fanatic as well, played that for years.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I am just getting back into BF2, I played for about an hour last night and loved it.   The new map Road to Tampa is pretty fun for an armor map.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
although it gets frustrating at times, I still play the game when I get the chance. The game is SO much better when playing with fellow friends or clan mates.

Grab the game, get on the Teamspeak server we have and we'll help you out with things in the game. In no time you'll be a killing machine like some of us... [present company not included ]

-d
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#16]
you can buy it for 10 dollars now

i'll admit im somewhat addicted to it
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i'll admit im somewhat addicted to it

I am too... but you know what they say, the first sign is denial

-d
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I love the game.  I admit that it really pisses me off alot, but with my current work schedule, I haven't played in what it feels like forever.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I love the game.  I admit that it really pisses me off alot, but with my current work schedule, I haven't played in what it feels like forever.

I haven't played in a long time to with my work schedule, but I'm upgrading my system and am gonna try to get in some quality BF2 time.

Go for it.  Vehicles are implemented in the game very well, and make it stand out from the other 10,000 first person shooter games.  Tanks, helicopters, and jets, oh my!  

Lots of people who bitch about it or don't like it are lone-wolfers, and miss the teamplay aspect of it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Lots of people who bitch about it or don't like it are lone-wolfers, and miss the teamplay aspect of it.

Not necessarily.  I have many an hour as team leader or squad member, but I got tired of EA's constant bull shit of not fixing bugs.

EA manages to patch games into oblivion.  BF:V was probably one of my favorites, but after the last major patch, the game became total shit.

With BF2, there was bugs galore and other stupid shit I got tired of with the game and quit playing.  IMHO lots of better games out there that don't have dumbass bugs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I like playing it, but that's when the game will actually load before I lose inteest.

I've got BF2 and BF2 special forces. It takes 2-3 minutes for the credits to roll, and load the log-in menu. Once I try to actually get ON, it takes another 5 minutes...

Trying to get into a game, another 10 minutes, and that's if it doesn't punt me as soon as the map loads.

It's not my machine either, as BF2142 and every other game under the sun runs great.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I like playing it, but that's when the game will actually load before I lose inteest.

I've got BF2 and BF2 special forces. It takes 2-3 minutes for the credits to roll, and load the log-in menu. Once I try to actually get ON, it takes another 5 minutes...

Trying to get into a game, another 10 minutes, and that's if it doesn't punt me as soon as the map loads.

It's not my machine either, as BF2142 and every other game under the sun runs great.

First off you can delete the movie files to speed things up. If you bother to look for the guides on BF2, they all talk about it. From the time I double click that icon, till I'm at the menu ready to pick a server, it is under 15 seconds easily. Even if you don't delete the movies and put your login info in the shortcut, you can still hit ESC and stop the movies.

Getting into a game doesn't take more than a minute, if that.

So I'd say it is your system or you really fucked up your install of BF2.

-d
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily.  I have many an hour as team leader or squad member, but I got tired of EA's constant bull shit of not fixing bugs.

EA manages to patch games into oblivion.  BF:V was probably one of my favorites, but after the last major patch, the game became total shit.

With BF2, there was bugs galore and other stupid shit I got tired of with the game and quit playing.  IMHO lots of better games out there that don't have dumbass bugs.

Hmm, I'll have to fire it up again.  It's been probably 8 months since I played it.  Hope they haven't screwed it up since then.

I even picked up BF2142 near a month ago on sale, haven't even installed it yet.  

That's how much time I've had lately to play games.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

First off you can delete the movie files to speed things up. If you bother to look for the guides on BF2, they all talk about it. From the time I double click that icon, till I'm at the menu ready to pick a server, it is under 15 seconds easily. Even if you don't delete the movies and put your login info in the shortcut, you can still hit ESC and stop the movies.

-d

into films are already nuked, It's a several minute "Blackscreen" before it gets to log
in area.  "connecting to server" is another nightmare altogether.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#25]
delete your favorite servers for teh game.  it will speed up after that

especially the stat pad server that have been "rid of"  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

into films are already nuked, It's a several minute "Blackscreen" before it gets to log
in area.  "connecting to server" is another nightmare altogether.

Then it is your system man... loading the game and logging into the account server shouldn't take more than a minute tops.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't play it much because my connection sucks I guess? (Although I can play Steam games like CSS with pretty low ping?).

I like it, but at the same time it's not that great. The Maps are IMHO too big for the number of players usually playing on them, so it's not as CQB as I would like. The old games (i.e. BF 1942) were balanced because it was all land-based and forced more infantry/tank style battles. With BF2 - everybody wants to fly the plane or the attack helicopter so they'll just camp out at the spawn point. It would be good if you could actually get a decent amount of players in a map at once (and maybe you can, but I can't because my connection sucks?). But say like 60+ players in the Gulf of Oman with lots of different dynanics - people in planes, people in boats, people on the ground.

Another thing I don't like is that it isn't a very friendly 'plug and play' kinda game. You have to wade through the bullshit to get to the game - loadup is a bitch, connecting to server and then loading the map up is a bitch, getting into the game and dealing with lag is a bitch.

And there's like a new patch every damn month And now there's that new map where you 'rescue' the Intel chips from the infidels (talk about product placement)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top