Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 12:34:09 PM EDT
Now that I have a suppressor (woo hoo!) I've heard a lot of people have Walther P-22s to use suppressed.  What are your impressions of this pistol?  I have a Ruger 22/45 that I haven't threaded yet, but for about 3 times the price of getting that done I could have a new .22 pistol that is already threaded, looks cool, is totally adjustable, and seems to be perfectly suited for suppressed work.

Any people here who have them?  Comments?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and want a supressor! It's not a target gun by any means considering that mine has the 3.4" bbl, stock sights and trigger. It's a blast to shoot though, I hit most everything I aim at with mine. You won't regret it, but I recommend the 5" bbl.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
what are the threads on the Walter p-22s? I've got a can that is threaded 1/2x28tpi for a 10/22. Are the threads the same?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Great gun, get me a supressor also.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what are the threads on the Walter p-22s? I've got a can that is threaded 1/2x28tpi for a 10/22. Are the threads the same?
View Quote

You'd need to replace the threaded retainer at the muzzle with an adopter, which has external threading for your can.  Gemtech makes one, but I think it's 1/2x22.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my P-22.  It can be finiky if the ammo isn't hot enough, but it likes that 66 grain Aguila Sniper SSS ammo.  I think the really heavy bullet helps cycle the action.

I'm working on getting a Gemtech Outback for my birthday, but the fact that I'm gonna pay almost 3x what I paid for the gun to get the suppressor pisses me off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd need to replace the threaded retainer at the muzzle with an adopter, which has external threading for your can.  Gemtech makes one, but I think it's 1/2x22.
View Quote

The [url=www.gem-tech.com]Gemtech[/url] adapter ($60 shipped) lets you use any 1/2x28 can.  There are a couple of other folks selling similar adapters.

[url=http://www.carlwalther.com/p22.htm]Earl's Repair[/url].  I actually bought one ($60 + S/H) from them after I broke my Gem-tech one.  (I needed a new barrel, too; don't ask.)  It looks dimensionally identical, but it didn't fit very well.  It was a [b]lot[/b] harder to tighten, and I bent the Walther barrel nut wrench getting it on.  Between the two, I'd get the Gem-Tech.

[url=http://www.tacticalinc.com/sup/supadp22-1.html]Tactical Innovations[/url] offers a cheaper one at $35.  From the pics, it looks the same as the Gem-tech.  If it works fine, it's a considerably better deal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell no! Have you lost your mind? [LOL]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's mine. I'm very pleased with it.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p16a768e318665b2ec4450d8e3a609a48/fbc984ea.jpg[/img]

god my camera sucks
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I'm trying to figure out what to do.  I've got a nice 22/45 that I like and am very accurate with - probably cost about $60-$95 to get it threaded for my suppressor.

My original intent was to use my CZ-75 with my Kadet .22LR conversion kit for my suppressed .22 pistol.  I sent it off to have an adapter installed that allows me to use my suppressor.  When I tried it out for the first time yesterday something happened and the suppressor end cap hole was damaged by a tumbling bullet.  We don't know yet if it was the ammo, the suppressor (baffle strike) or if the threaded adapter was very very slightly misaligned.  Both the suppressor maker and the adapter maker tested their products before shipping them to me, so I don't know what is going on.

I'd love to be able to just use my CZ-75 and my .22 rifle with the suppressor, but I may have to abandon the CZ-75 if we can't get it to work right without throwing the tumblers.

If that happens, I'll have to decide between threading the 22/45 or getting the Walther.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
From personal experience: Get the shorter barreled one. The "barrel weight" on the 5" model is only held on by a tiny tiny screw and thats stripped on me twice. As well as the two larger ones on the side of it. You might want to wait till these come out:

[img]http://www.waltheramerica.com/images/WAP22004_sm.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.waltheramerica.com/images/WAP22007_sm.jpg[/img]

Give it that tactical look with a supressor. *grin*

Also make sure you get a newer model that has the bigger safety on it. You know because the safety should be wider then the slide.

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Be sure and check the threads for proper allignment.  My P22 was keyholing w/ the suppressor on.  I never had any problems with any of my other 22's, so I imagine it was the adapter.  I'd vote for the Beretta mod 21A.  Small package, and no keyholing, but putting the threaded barrel is a serious bitch!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been thinking of getting one of these myself, and have one question... is the P22 DA/SA or double-action only?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're going for looks, sure.  If you're going for accuracy, reliability, durability, functionality, no.  One example - my P22 would fire when way out of battery.  Not safe.  Got rid of it.

Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark II, S&W M41.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My biggest gripe is of the safeties.
View Quote

No kidding; I hate how the hammer drops on "safe"!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of getting one of these myself, and have one question... is the P22 DA/SA or double-action only?
View Quote

DA/SA.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I LOVE MINE!!
[img]http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/waltherp22tn.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's mine. I'm very pleased with it.

[url]pic[/url]

god my camera sucks
View Quote

Who care's about the camera, that setup is just TOO FRICKIN' COOL..

Notice you're in FL too.  For the uninitiated...  Please describe the process, time frame & cost's to get to that.  Recommended dealer?  Is a severe anal exam required?  

I haven't bought anything in a while, and that sure looks tempting.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I am buying my mother one as a late mothers day present. She shot Matts_d's and loved it. Its a great little .22
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Not to buck the trend, but my P22 is shooting great with CCI standard velocity.  Didn't realize there's an ammo issue with it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Good article in Small Arms Review on the Walther and Gemtech Outback combo.I'm thinking about that set up my self.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]
The Gemtech Outback and the threaded adapter for the Walther, cost me $335 with PA sales tax from my local dealer (who ordered both directly from GemTech).

Both of my P-22's work fine with standard velocity (1050 fps) ammo.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I think my biggest concern may be size - my hands are quite large, and I've read that the P-22 has a medium to small grip.  The 22/45 fits my hand much better and is quite accurate.  Add to that I've never had any jams or failure-to-feeds with it.  Overall it looks like getting it threaded will be much more cost-effective in the long run.

Of course, once I figure out the little end-cap striking problem on my CZ-75 .22 conversion, that will allow me to use the suppressor with my full-size CZ frame, which is what I want anyway.  I'm also considering getting my EAA Witness .45 the .22 conversion kit and getting it threaded for the suppressor as well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:51:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Most of the 'issues' with the early guns are magazine related, problems with FTF's. Later production guns seem to have remedied this. I did a bit of touch-up on the feed ramp and have had zero problems. For my purposes I use Aguila SSS exclusively.
I also leave the can on the gun, so the aluminum thread concern is for the most part mute.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I did a bit of touch-up on the feed ramp and have had zero problems.
View Quote

Yep, same here.  After a little polishing of the feed ramp, it will shoot anything, bulk pack included.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think my biggest concern may be size - my hands are quite large, and I've read that the P-22 has a medium to small grip.
View Quote

That is something to think about.  The P22 is a bit too small to for me to hold normally.  I can't really get all three fingers firmly on the grip; I often end up wrapping the pinky under.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:06:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Now that I have a suppressor (woo hoo!) I've heard a lot of people have Walther P-22s to use suppressed.  What are your impressions of this pistol?  I have a Ruger 22/45 that I haven't threaded yet, but for about 3 times the price of getting that done I could have a new .22 pistol that is already threaded, looks cool, is totally adjustable, and seems to be perfectly suited for suppressed work.

Any people here who have them?  Comments?
View Quote

The P-22 is a kick ass gun suppressed. I don't own a suppressed one but a friend does(the lucky dog). Mine has a 5inch barrel and I have the 3.5in barrel, stay away from the 5in barreld P22. The end of the barrel is a fake compensator and the front sight sits on that. Mine is tightened nice and tight but the damn thing still wobbles around. The only time i put the 5in barrel on is when i take the gun in the woods, so i'ts legal for small game, and than it has a BSA red dot on it so I don't have to worry about the front sight problems. Another word of warning. The P22 was designed as a Carry gun it is suposed to be used with Hyper velocity ammo, like the CCI stingers or velocitor ammo, another good one is the aguila super maximum, But you can get a lighter spring so that it will reliably cycle subsonic, or standard velocity ammo. Mine will run with standard stuff, but not 100%, same with my friends before he put a lighter spring in it. I'm not saying that it won't function 100% with standard ammo, just that it was not designed for standard velocity ammo and my not funtion 100% with it. Some people have not had a problem with it but the two guns i've fired have had problems with standard velocity ammo. But I'd get a P22 and suppress it if i were you. Hell i want to suppress but the sheriff won't sign for them for us lowly common folk.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think my biggest concern may be size - my hands are quite large, and I've read that the P-22 has a medium to small grip.
View Quote

That is something to think about.  The P22 is a bit too small to for me to hold normally.  I can't really get all three fingers firmly on the grip; I often end up wrapping the pinky under.  
View Quote

Going with the finger extention mag will help some what.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Going with the finger extention mag will help some what.
View Quote

When I use that, my little finger either rides on the extension or gets pushed out from the grip between my ring finger and the extension, neither of which makes for a very secure hold.  It's something I can live with, it just feels cramped.  Not like picking up a Glock (even a 26) and thinking "damn, that fits nicely."
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Be sure and check the threads for proper allignment.  My P22 was keyholing w/ the suppressor on.  I never had any problems with any of my other 22's, so I imagine it was the adapter.  I'd vote for the Beretta mod 21A.  Small package, and no keyholing, but putting the threaded barrel is a serious bitch!
View Quote

I had the 5 inch barrel on mine at first.  I trashed a suppressor I built (figured it was a bad design).  Then I put on a can I bought a while back and have used on several guns and it struck the baffles on that as well.  I don't think it was the adapter, I think it was the 5" barrel. I put the 3.5 back on and haven't had the problem.  I'm thinking about sending the barrel back - only problem is it doesn't seem to keyhole w/o the suppressor.  very strange.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I had the 5 inch barrel on mine at first.  I trashed a suppressor I built (figured it was a bad design).  Then I put on a can I bought a while back and have used on several guns and it struck the baffles on that as well.  I don't think it was the adapter, I think it was the 5" barrel. I put the 3.5 back on and haven't had the problem.  I'm thinking about sending the barrel back - only problem is it doesn't seem to keyhole w/o the suppressor.  very strange.

-Nuke
View Quote

It sounds like you eliminated everything except the adaptor. I'm betting on the adaptor. I'm going to look at a 3.5" tonight. [:)]

Bob
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Nuke
View Quote

It sounds like you eliminated everything except the adaptor. I'm betting on the adaptor.[:)]

Bob
View Quote

Sounds more like the threads on the 5" bbl, since it doesn't keyhole using the can on the 3.5" bbl.  (If I understood correctly.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sounds more like the threads on the 5" bbl, since it doesn't keyhole using the can on the 3.5" bbl.  (If I understood correctly.)
View Quote

Yeah, you understood correctly.  I don't know why, but I hadn't considered the threads on the 5".  I'll bet that's what it is.  I think i'll inspect a little more tonight.  Almost made  me cry when I shot it and the can started making rattle - rattle - rattle sounds.

-Nuke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top