Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2016 11:16:57 AM EDT
I need new tires for my truck and want to save money. How much does it usually cost to have a local shop mount and balance them on the rims?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Get price online and have shop price match them. Done.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
How else are you going to get them mounted?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Tirerack, if that's who you're using, has a list of local dealers they work with, along with their prices.  I've done it a few times, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've ordered online and had them delivered to a shop several times.  No issues at all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Toyota dealer charged me $20/tire to mount and balance...about a year ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I need new tires for my truck and want to save money. How much does it usually cost to have a local shop mount and balance them on the rims?
View Quote

I do it all the time. Can't beat online prices. Never failed me yet.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been ordering tires from tirerack for probably ten years.  Their site has a list of their local installers and the price they'll charge.  Every goddamn time, the shop owner makes a comment about how I fucked up and he could've saved me tons on the same or better tires if I'da come to him first.

Once I had a bit of time so I tried the local guy first.  He tried to sell me shittier tires for more than I'd have spent through tirerack.  Experiment concluded, won't bother with that again.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Make sure to add shipping to the total you approach your local tire place with. Once I had a local place match the price exactly, they ate the sales tax.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#9]
$15 a tire here in OK.  Just did it last week.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Shop around online for the best deal then print it out and go to Discount Tire. They will price match.

I wouldn't pay the listed price anywhere. Shop around and make them price match.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I've debated buying online but continue to use a local chain...free rotations and balance, rock solid warrantee, great service. Plus they do brakes, suspension, and batteries.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, if you care about the "free tire rotation and balancing for life of tire" that most local shops throw in, a good deal from a local guy is much better.

If you have to pay for this twice, you've pretty much eaten all of your savings by ordering from Tire Rack (I love tire rack) and having the locals mount.

in my opinion, someone that will match or get close to Tire Rack is the best option.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I do just  that op, I bought my last set from tire rack and had them mounted at a local auto shop. Only thing you might miss out on is warranty depending on who you buy from.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#15]
We mount/balance Tirerack tires. You get their warranty and our free rotate/balance and flat repair. Our margins are a bit lower, so we charge $25/per for mount, balance and disposal ($2.50 per/tire to dispose in CA).
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#16]
tire rack was my #1 preferred.

but the cost of shipping, taxes and then the local shop, there's no cost savings.

costco is usually good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought some mud tires from 4wheel parts and had walmart mount and balance them.  $15 or $20 a tire.  The issue is i dont have roadhazard.

Walmart will sell roadhaz, but only on tires they sell also.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered mine from Wal-Mart online, they mounted balanced and reset the tire pressure sensors.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I've found  whatever Costco has on sale for the month to be cheaper after figuring the cost to mount and ship.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I've used TireRack successfully three times in the last 5 years.

I would (and probably will) do it again.

Price was decent, shop was well regarded and did a great job, what's not to like?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I've done it a couple times for specialty tires no one had in stock.

If they're more standard tires i'd call around and see what specials people are having. Our local ford dealer is actually really competitive with a wide brand of tires.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I buy from TireRack all the time and have them ship to a local shop for installation. The local shop is happy to do the work, they don't even stock or sell tires anymore, and I have a warranty through TireRack.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tirerack, if that's who you're using, has a list of local dealers they work with, along with their prices.  I've done it a few times, never had a problem.
View Quote

Timely thread as I'm in the same situation as the OP.  I've always gone to Discount Tire but they dont have the tire size and make I want and Tirerack does.

Do you have to contact the local place to tell them tires and wheels are inbound or do you just order and wait for them to show up then make appointment for the install?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Timely thread as I'm in the same situation as the OP.  I've always gone to Discount Tire but they dont have the tire size and make I want and Tirerack does.

Do you have to contact the local place to tell them tires and wheels are inbound or do you just order and wait for them to show up then make appointment for the install?
View Quote
Either/or but it's never a bad idea to call and schedule a time so you're not waiting around.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you ask Discount Tire if they can get what you want?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea, I always took delivery and then drove them over to the shop in question.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I just buy from Sam's.

They have "free" road hazard that worked out great when I got a nail in my side wall on a week old tire.

I also figure in NA I'm never to far from a Sam's if I need to use the road hazard warranty
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I usually buy online and get a local tire store or walmart to mount.  Typically runs $80-100 to mount and balance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Either/or but it's never a bad idea to call and schedule a time so you're not waiting around.
View Quote

Thanks! Kind of what I figured. Off to Tirerack to at least figure out the exact tire and wheels I want for my JK.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I do it all the time.

Saved about $500 on a new set for the truck.

ETA..check the prices from these guys. A1tire

Discount wanted 1700 for a set of 37" toyos, got them for 1240 from a1.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I've ordered from Tire Rack and had Discount install them.  I have also had Discount price match Tire Rack.  Both with no issue.  

Discount will sell you road hazard on tires not purchased from them, so long as a certain amount of tread remains.  I buy it from them when I get new cars to keep from having to deal with the dealer and OEM tire company.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you asked Discount to price based on them ordering in the tire?  They normally can get them within a day.  Same story also on steel and OEM aluminum wheels.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#33]

my dealer did mine.  they could not get toyo's for some reason.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Did you ask Discount Tire if they can get what you want?
View Quote

No I haven't. I'm not in a huge rush so I might do that as well. Starting on the 31st I have nine days off so hoping to get it done that week. Looking for a good 33" tire, and wheels to go with them, for my Jeep JK.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered tires from discounttiredirect.com and had discount mount them. I think it was cheaper for the mount and balance because I bought the tires from discount.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tirerack tires are less expensive, just don't forget to add shipping when comparing prices.  I called the local installer and he made it clear that he wouldn't be happy about doing it and there would be zero service after the sale.  Then he says just buy the tires from me.  Ok give me a quote.  It was about $200 higher than the tirerack price plus install.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks! Kind of what I figured. Off to Tirerack to at least figure out the exact tire and wheels I want for my JK.
View Quote

If your buying tires and wheels you can probably get someone online to mount and balance before sending them.  Then just bolt them on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If your buying tires and wheels you can probably get someone online to mount and balance before sending them.  Then just bolt them on.
View Quote

Exactly what I've done.  Free mount and balance when you buy the combo from TR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Just bought a set on Amazon that were Prime. With the free shipping and mounting / balancing at a local shop, I saved over $150 versus Discount Tire.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I just did this recently with snow tires. Found a great deal on eBay and took them to WalMart to have them mounted on my spare rims. Total cost was $76 for mounting, balancing, and installing the TPMS sensors. Even purchasing new TPMS sensors I came out $125 ahead of the local places prices.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Local place charges $12 (mount/balance/disposal) per tire.  I rarely order online unless it's something they don't carry.  They always beat tire rack without asking.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep...just did that.

Sure the tires price looked great online. Then after shipping and paying them to mount it, it's not so great.

I got a better price, mounted, from the tire place I went to, after I had researched them on line and took my findings in to the shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...just did that.

Sure the tires price looked great online. Then after shipping and paying them to mount it, it's not so great.

I got a better price, mounted, from the tire place I went to, after I had researched them on line and took my findings in to the shop.

I was in a tire shop several years ago when this started being "the thing"

a couple of people came by to get a price in mount and balance. when the guy gave him the price (like $20 a tire) plus the georgia mandated tire disposal fee (somthing like $5 to $10 a tire) they got all pissed off and huffed out cause between that and shipping they hadn't saved any money.

when they figured out his price would have been about the same and would have included free rotation for the life of the tire they really were pissed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Bought four new tires from discount tire's ebay store. Free shipping and lower prices compared to their actual web store. Then found one used tire the same brand and model tire with aprox 40-50% tread life remaining on ebay as well for a spare. Had the tires shipped to my house and took them to a reputable local shop for mount and balance. I saved almost $300 by doing this with new tires for my truck. Enough to buy another tire outright if necessary and still be ahead.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, I did that a couple times when I saw awesome deals online. Worked out just fine. Call a shop and tell them that you have a set of tires and want them put on your car.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've ordered online and had them delivered to a shop several times.  No issues at all.
View Quote

Same here. Saved a good penny too
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't consider that possibility but will look into it. That would be ideal.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#47]
No local shops will install tires bought online.  The expense to drive to Boise negates any savings I would have by buying online.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tire Rack does it for no extra charge, as long as the wheel/tire combo are within the recommended width guidelines.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've debated buying online but continue to use a local chain...free rotations and balance, rock solid warrantee, great service. Plus they do brakes, suspension, and batteries.
View Quote

Is that you, Les?

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#50]
My local Firestone beat the Tirerack quote I printed and brought to the store.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top