Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 6:23:02 AM EDT
Wife and I are deciding upon which to buy. Will be a year or so old and house trained. Can't decide which. Any suggestions? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#1]
doberman.  best dog i have ever had.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Doberman
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
German Shepherd if you have any kids.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Get both. :)

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=77&iGalleryUnq=69&iImageUnq=39846

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.

why do you say this?  the dobe that I have is great with kids and even my cats (see avatar).  he is very protective, but at the same time, a big baby.  this being said, i like GSD's too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I like GSD's myself, but damn...those suckers are shedding machines.

Ed
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Anteverius/P1010093.jpg

Sorry for the hijack...but what's that on your poster above the table?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You spotted that bare ass, too
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Check with your homeowner's/renters insurance company first.  Many have policies that state they will not cover your/drop you if you have certain breeds of dogs.  Most don't like dobies, and some don't like German Sheps.

Our next door neighbor had 2 dobie police dogs and they were very well behaved and LOVED my wife - they would literally ignore their owner's commands and fall down at my wife's feet.  Funniest thing.

I like Sheps, though I have permanent scars from 27 years ago when I was brutally attacked by one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oops..is that BOTD
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

good looking dog. looks like he has a good personality.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#13]

A vote for the Shepherd.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You spotted that bare ass, too

I was going to congratulate him on it.

It is a Pink FLoyd poster with about a half-dozen naked women from behind, each painted as a different Pink Floyd album. The one you see the most in the pic above is The Wall.

It's one of my favorite wallpapers on my computer!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good ole Pink.

And that is a very good question.  GSD or Dobe.....dang.  My buddy's 130# Dobe thinks he's a small 5# poodle or something, always slobbering on people and jumping on the couch.

I would pick the GSD.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been around dogs, mostly hunting, all my life, and have been absolutely shocked at how great the German Shepherd is.    I think the dobies are very cool, but now that I've owned a GSD, I'd never get another type of dog.

Gus...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]
My ex-FIL had an absolutely beautiful doberman. Most incredible dog I've ever seen. It LOVED me (much to the FIL's chagrin).

I'd love to have one, but I doubt I'd be willing to invest the time needed to train it. Additionally, since I live alone, the poor thing would be home alone all day, and that's not good.

I think I'm going to have to settle for a pair of cats.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#18]
GSD

Cropping the Dobie's ears seems rather cruel, but without it, they look like an overgrown weiner dog....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=77&iGalleryUnq=69&iImageUnq=39846

why do you say this?  the dobe that I have is great with kids and even my cats (see avatar).  he is very protective, but at the same time, a big baby.  this being said, i like GSD's too.

Well, I guess because the few Dobies I've been around haven't been overly friendly to kids. I know I shouldn't judge the breed by a few dogs. My bad.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Get both..... in one breed.....

Rottweiler!

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#21]
buy neither...

go to the pound...mutts make the best dogs- unless you are into impressing your neighbors
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Doberman

this was the first dog I owned that never ran away from home, never chewed up things, one of the most loyal dogs I ever owned, very protective and fearless

these dogs need lots of attention and daily activity, they dont like being left alone all day

another thing is they can be very aggressive and hard to control in a fight, dont ever let your dog out to roam loose around the neighborhood.

it must be kept in a well fenced in yard when not supervised
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#23]
We've owned both, a red male Doberman (who had to be put down due to a liver disease) and currently own a one year old female GSD. I've never owned a GSD before, I have owned Dobermans prior to Thor (Dobie).

Our Dobie was great around kids, other pets (cats and ferrets), but was also very protective. Our GSD is a little bit "hyper" but no complaints. She is very protective too.

Dobermans will always be my first love, but our GSD is proving to be a great dog too.

If I had a choice, I'd go with the Dobie, but.......if I came across a good GSD I wouldn't turn it down. GSD's do shed ALOT. When we vaccum we can almost build another dog out of the hair in the vaccum. This may swing your vote.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
buy neither...

go to the pound...mutts make the best dogs- unless you are into impressing your neighbors

We got our "Gus" from the German Shepherd rescue.   There are plenty of "full blooded" GDS's that need a home.   Gus won't leave my side for a minute when I am at home.  Sometimes that is a bad thing, but his devotion is amazing.   I know that his separation anxiety is from being "left" by two different owners.

We were looking at two other GDS's in Kansas.   The Rescue org was willing to bring the dog to us, or at least most of the way.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
When we vaccum we can almost build another dog out of the hair in the vaccum. This may swing your vote.

That is so true.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
buy neither...

Ding....ding....ding....the only correct answer so far.

Seriously, don't buy a dog....you're are just supporting puppy farms.

RESCUE a dog, he/she will never ever forget what you did.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I did it. Got the German Shepherd. Thanks for all the input
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#28]
GSD.  the smartest, most loyal dog I have ever had an experience with.  dobermans are just not even on the same intelligence level as GSD's IMO
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

cool hot sauce collection!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#30]
btw, get the dobe. Or a boxer(great dogs)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Dobey
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#32]
i'd go shepherd, personal preference.

husky/shepherd mix even.   although i have to admit i have never known anyone with a doberman and gotten to spend time with it.  i'd like to, though.

EDIT: if you got it, POST PICS!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
GSD.  the smartest, most loyal dog I have ever had an experience with.  dobermans are just not even on the same intelligence level as GSD's IMO

Well then in your opinion you'd be wrong as the Doberman is commonly held in belief to be the second smartest dogs after Border Collies.

Here's Chloe when she 9 months.  She's now 1 1/2 stands 27" and weighs 88lbs.  Pure bred registered.  The Neighborhood kids as well as my own daughter absolutely adore her.  The only problem I have is she opens the doors in the house and will go outside when she wants if I don't lock it.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#34]
shepherd definity
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#35]

As with any dog breeding is very important.  Our GSD, Panzer, is by far the best dog we have ever owned.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Never owned a Doby but I grew up with a German Shepherd and I don't think you can go wrong with one unless you hate dog hair or something cause they are shedding machines!

I recently bought a GSD pup from a member here and so far he is working out real well. My wife and kids love him. Hi name is Henry. Henry likes to eat his own poop.
Other than that he is good to go though! I just have to be fast with the shovel is all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Grew up w/ 3 Doberman's & all were great around us kids.  Lately, I'm rather fond of our collies.  GSD is a good dog, to be sure.  Both breeds are smart & need a job to do.  Make sure the dog you choose fits your lifestyle.  Don't set yourself & the dog up for failure by getting too much dog.  Neither you nor the dog will be happy.

Our collies are part of the family, & spend most of their time w/ us.  We don't treat them like disposable goods & they don't live in the backyard.

***An interesting observation for consideration: Many breeds - collies & GSD's among them - have "rough" (long hair) & smooth (short hair) coat varieties.  In general, the "rough's" tend to be more laid back & less energetic compared to their smooth-coated counterparts.  This isn't consistent 100% of the time, but it seems to be generally true.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Kinda partial to black dogs with tan eyebrows.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#40]
German Shepard

Of course, a German Shepard is only half the dog that a Lab is
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Neither, pick up a rescue.

Better half's greyhound turned out quite well, considering the emaciated, nervous wreck that she started out as. (The bitch, that is.)

[ETA: Bitch = dog, not the Better Half]

NTM
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#42]
German Shepard. from my experience they are a WAY smarter dog, and more loyal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#43]
While this is off topic, if you want a great dog with less bloat problems of the two you listed, I would get a German Short haired Pointer. I've had two of them and they are outstanding. Robust is not a strong enough word to describe these dogs. And they are fast!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Doberman.
Also, +1 on the rescue dog. I got a rescue do a few years back from a shelter in Westmoreland County, PA, about 2.5 hours drive from my home. She was abandoned in a state park near Pittsburgh. The lady at the shelter said this is a common problem around large cities. People will get a "full size" model because they are cute when they are puppies, and they soon outgrow the area available to them and oftentimes the food budget of the original owners, so they get dumped out. From what she said, the police in the area were looking at the dog, until they found out she was too old for them to properly train. She was estimated to be 9-10 months old when we got her, and that was in September/October of 2002. The dog is a horse. She stands about 28" or so at the shoulders, and weighs 105 pounds. Follows the kids around when they are home, follows the wife around when the kids arent home, and follows me around when I'm home alone. I can walk her down the street with no leash, and she doesnt try to run off. I did some pretty aggresive leash training with her, and it has really paid off.

The only down side to a Dobe from a shelter is that oftentimes they are abandoned before they get their ears and tail clipped. By the time my dog was taken to the shelter, she was too old according to the lady working there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Get both. :)

And let them breed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:23:40 AM EDT
[#46]
German Shepherd's are great dogs, we have had several........

This is Sasha....

Always ready to play !!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Well I did it. Got the German Shepherd. Thanks for all the input

I see you have already chosen your pooch... However I never saw anything here that would have helped you make an educated decision.

Here's why. When choosing a breed (between these 2) you should know a little more than they're loyal or smart... that's kind of a given with these 2 breeds.

1.) Both are known for bone disease, namely hip dysplasia. (also Panosteitis)
2.) Dobes are known to have eye problems at an early age. (before 8 years) More so than GSD
3.) Both 'can' have skin problems if nutrition is not balanced & they're not brushed or bathed regularly.
4.) ALL large breed dogs ARE prone to bloat due to a large peritoneal cavity.
5.) You didn't mention what you wanted the dog for; ie obedience, agility, protection or couch potato.
6.) Either (any) breed is 'normally' better to aquire @ an early age for bonding and imprinting.
7.)If you're looking for a dog for a specific task like Agility, SAR, Schutzhund, Ring Sport, ect... Seek a breeder that specializes in breeding for that temperament, they know what they're looking for.
8.) Mainsteam AKC Dobe breeders have managed to breed alot of skittishness into them over the years, trying to make them 'less fierce', and this is ashame. Not ALL are this way, but I have seen my fair share.

These are some of the things I wish I could have posed to you before purchase. Keep in mind I AM NOT AN EXPERT... I have seen many an expert... I am speaking from my personal experience as an 8 year vet tech over 1 hospital & 2 ERs, as a competitor in Schutzhund for 10 years and as an all around lover of all (well almost all) dogs.

You should be pleased with either, I just think you should be a little more informed. Hope this helps a little... if not you , perhaps someone else.

David

Here's a few sites that could be helpful
United Schutzhund Club of America
United Doberman Club
DVG America
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
While this is off topic, if you want a great dog with less bloat problems of the two you listed, I would get a German Short haired Pointer. I've had two of them and they are outstanding. Robust is not a strong enough word to describe these dogs. And they are fast!

I once owned a German Short haired pointer, yes you are right ,they're very fast! just like a jack rabbit
mine could hop over fences with ease and run all day and they have the nose like a "Blood hound" they can find stuff by smelling if you show them something and hide it, they can find it just by sniffing.

I might get another German short haired pointer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top