Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 11:07:07 PM EDT
Had a friend just call and turns out he was arrested for FTA on a Driving Without Privlidges charge.  His preliminary hearing is tomorrow evening.  He wants me to bail him out.  What say ye?  Let him sit overnight and muse over being a dumbass for not going to court?  Or be a "Christmasy" Jew and bail him out for his holiday?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Will he repay you?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
How good of a friend is he? That determines everyting. Im assuming he sint that good or close if your having to ask an internet forum.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Let him sit, bang his old lady, and send him the pics while he is in jail.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
He cannot show up for court and he wants you to pay bail to get him out…

Not if it was me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
He is actually a pretty good friend.  One of my best.  But he and I worked bail enforcement togather, and I am pissed that he told me he went to court that day and didn't.  I just got off the phone with the bail agency we worked for.  Since I am living in Virginia now and only home for the holidays, they won't let me sign for him.  And it is their opinion that he should sit overnight for lying to the company.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If he is a real friend, the Man Rules say you must bail him out within 12 hours.  If he is not someone who will pay your bail,  then the Man Rules do not apply.  The big thing about bailing someone out is if they can hit an ATM before you take him home to recover your money.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

let him rot.

I'm all for helping a buddy out. But if they can help themselves, and they refuse to, then my helping them will only allow them to hurt themselves more.

that was a long ass sentance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Only for original charges. FTA's... they should've known better then to blow off court. His preliminary is tomorrow? He can wait that long. Once he sees the judge, then maybe I'd post bail for him. BTW... how much is the bail?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

let him rot.

I'm all for helping a buddy out. But if they can help themselves, and they refuse to, then my helping them will only allow them to hurt themselves more.

that was a long ass sentance.

His new roommate Bubba needs lovin too this time of year, let him enjoy the free sex
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
He FTA'd once. What makes you think he won't do it again?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
If he can't get out on OR, what makes you think he's a good risk, especially for someone who's been in the business?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
He is actually a pretty good friend.  One of my best.  But he and I worked bail enforcement togather, and I am pissed that he told me he went to court that day and didn't.  I just got off the phone with the bail agency we worked for.  Since I am living in Virginia now and only home for the holidays, they won't let me sign for him.  And it is their opinion that he should sit overnight for lying to the company.

-Ben

Im sorry but I dont lie to my best friends. Shows you where he values his friendship with you huh?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Only for original charges. FTA's... they should've known better then to blow off court. His preliminary is tomorrow? He can wait that long. Once he sees the judge, then maybe I'd post bail for him. BTW... how much is the bail?

Bonded at 1k, so bail is about 150.  I honestly would go get him except that they won't let me sign for him anyways.  I think he is just gonna have to tough it out.  I am almost glad I cannot bail him out, cause doing so would be a conflict for me. I didn't see anyone jumping up and down to bail me out when I got arrested.  And I had to wait a lot longer then over night to get anything straightened out.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

Im sorry but I dont lie to my best friends. Shows you where he values his friendship with you huh?

That had crossed my mind,

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#15]
if you bail him out and he skips, maybe you could hunt him down like Dog The Bounty Hunter
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#17]
The bonding company doesn't consider you a qualified co-signer so you're off the hook with your friend.  End of problem.

..."Hunt him down like Dog the Bounty Hunter"  ...please.  Dog is NOT representative of the quiet, professionals who go about their work on a daily basis in this business.

A good friend will bail you out of jail.  A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn.  That was fun!"

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:27:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
He FTA'd once. What makes you think he won't do it again?

+1, I hope he enjoys the free holiday meal.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#20]
The Guy Code requires you bail him out, unless he has previously failed to repay a debt to you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't do it.  It is enabling his bad behavior.  It sounds like a day or two in the cooler might do him some good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#22]
From my personal and professional  experiance I would let him sit.  He obviously wasnt able to appear when it was just his ass on the line, what makes him think he'll be able to appear when its his ass and your cash on the line.    A little jail time never hurt anyone.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Bail him out.

If this is kind of behavior is the direction his life is taking though, I would start to distance myself from him. I am all for giving people a chance but not for being a doormat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell, no.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#25]
No
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#26]
So he has a failure to appear in court and he wants someone to bail him out?  I would not put my name on that bond.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Screw that. FTA...? NO bail and he can take his medicine. A true friend wouldn't ask in the first place. He's going to bolt and you are going to be left holding the bag...if you could bailed him out that is.

Guy code? Screw that. Be responsible and this wouldn't happen.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Bail him out, but only after grilling him for a while. Ask questions like "will you show up for your next court hearing?" and more importantly, "how can I be certain?"
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#29]
$150?

I probably would, but I would get a darned good explanation for the FTA.

Is he in a city jail or podunk?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Its guy code.

Unless he murdered someone in your immediate family, you are required to bailed a friend out of jail within 24 hours.

If you don't, your title of a "man" is revoked for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#31]

"Welcome Home"
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
FTA

Failure
To
Appear

Meaning he has a tendancy to not show up in court, or obey orders of the court (Driving with suspended license).

Makes me think the risk is too high that he will skip bail and you'll be out the cash.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Its guy code.

Unless he murdered someone in your immediate family, you are required to bailed a friend out of jail within 24 hours.

Horseshit!

I have a friend in jail right now.

He already owes me almost $3000.

He is NOW in jail for "kiteing"(?sp) checks. The kicker is he was on probation for this same thing.
His wife called crying asking me to help.

I have ZERO compassion for him......he can stay there.
Hell, it is where he needs to be!

Maybe he will finally learn a lesson.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Bail him out.

Who the hell is this??

And what did you do with drjarhead???

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The bonding company doesn't consider you a qualified co-signer so you're off the hook with your friend.  End of problem.

Actually he could cough up the full amount himself and get his friend out that way.  Bondsmen are a for profit middle man for people that cant come up with the full amount.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Its guy code.

Yeah....right.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bonded at 1k, so bail is about 150.  I honestly would go get him except that they won't let me sign for him anyways.  I think he is just gonna have to tough it out.  I am almost glad I cannot bail him out, cause doing so would be a conflict for me. I didn't see anyone jumping up and down to bail me out when I got arrested.  And I had to wait a lot longer then over night to get anything straightened out.

-Ben

And what kind of bond agency would't let your bail him out if bail is only 1k?    Try another bondsman.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I got him out, but I took possesion of his gun collection that would have been confiscated anyways and told him that after this is cleared up(and he pays me back), I will give him his guns back.  Until then he better be good cause I am keeping them if he doesn't show to court.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I got him out, but I took possesion of his gun collection that would have been confiscated anyways and told him that after this is cleared up(and he pays me back), I will give him his guns back.  Until then he better be good cause I am keeping them if he doesn't show to court.

-Ben

OK, that will work.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

-Ben

Is that you Ben Stein?  Actually, it sounds exactly like something Ben Stein would do.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm sure he'll appear this time for court when it's your money on the line...

let him sit
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#42]
  Did it one time and the fuck never paid me the 500.00 bucks back, fuck' em
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top