Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 7:42:39 AM EDT
As a result of Hurricane Wilma (October) the house behind me lost their wooden privacy fence. Currently it is missing about 3/4 of it with a still standing 5 foot section every 15 feet or so.

While this has some benefits, especially when the current occupants (couple Brazillian chicks) play backyard volleyball in thong bikinis, I generally preferred when the fence was up so I didn't have to look at some of the junk, debris and a unused vehicle which are in the back and side yard. I can always do some work on the roof when they played volleyball prior to the fence blowing down.

Anyway, in about a month or so I will be selling my house and it will sell a LOT easier if that wooden privacy fence was replaced. And it doesn't look as if the current owners are in any hurry to do it. They simply picked up the downed sections and left it at that. And as I don't anticipate selling my home to some frat guys, I don't think the "hot chicks" factor will overide the fence being down.

We also don't have a homeowners association, I wouldn't live anyplace that had one, so there is nothing to force the owners to make them replace the fence. I could try code and zoning but they could more easily become compliant by simply removing the few remaining sections and just not having a fence which would bring me back to my original problem of looking at their crap.

So I'm kicking around the idea of offering to pay for half of the back section of fence, the part that borders my property, IF they will get it taken care of.

Obviously I don't want to pay for their fence, I have enough of my own repairs to pay for and I have a bunch of improvements that need to be done prior to putting the house up for sale. But at the same time, having that back fence section replaced may be a big part of selling the house.

The other problem is I'm not really social with my backdoor neighbors, my wife is pretty easygoing but I can't be hanging out with the Brazillian chicks. So it would be a fairly akward introduction.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
So their insurance hasn't already cut them a check?  I'd want that information first.

What about zoning laws?  Can you put something up, let it fall down and not repair it?  Perhaps you could encourage them to "comply" with the regs?  Just a thought.  

ETA - ah, I see you already thought of that.

G
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Try to sell your house first.   If you have proablems, then offer to help them with the fence.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure what you pay for the fence you'll more than make up when you sell.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there a reg that does not allow unused [maybe unliscensed]vehicles to be kept on property unless it is shown that it is being worked on? I sure as heck would not want to pay for a neighbors fence. Why not put your OWN fence up across the back of your property? Or, barring that, talk to the neighbors and ask them nicely if they could pick up a bit as you are selling your house. Tell them the olympic mens volleyball team is looking at it or something.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Invite them over at night for drinks, and a foursome........

oops, offtrack there......

Talk to them about their plans for repairing  the fence.   Let them know your concerns, and if necessary, offer to help with the labor and/or cost of repairs.  IF necessary.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe put up a privacy fence in YOUR backyard.

I mean I can see your point, but it is their yard.  Maybe they decided they don't want a fence.  Nothing stopping you from putting one up on your side of the line.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Go make yourself a drink, put out a lounge chair, and go sit ever afternoon and weekend in a thong bikini yourself .... they'll put the fence back up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go make yourself a drink, put out a lounge chair, and go sit ever afternoon and weekend in a thong bikini yourself .... they'll put the fence back up.

Let there be pictures....please!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Go ahead and fix it. The house will sell easier.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]
How about just helping them repair the original fence? Does not have to be perfect.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What did his neighbors do to deserve that?  Sounds a bit harsh to me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#12]
maybe offer to replace it for them for an exchange of...ahem...services?

i think it should either be replaced or taken down in some fashion either by force of law or your compromise.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Arfcom answer:   DO THEM BOTH!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Arfcom answer:   DO THEM BOTH!  

[lawrence]..at the same time[/lawrence from office space]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let there be pictures....please!

Noooooooooooo!   Please, no pictures of you in a thong.  Feel free to email them to Patty, but please spare the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I agree. A few hundred now may save you thousands. It will at least make the place look better and have more appeal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this yet but... this is sigline material right here:

Quoted:

The other problem is I'm not really social with my backdoor neighbors

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Maybe put up a privacy fence in YOUR backyard.

I mean I can see your point, but it is their yard.  Maybe they decided they don't want a fence.  Nothing stopping you from putting one up on your side of the line.

My fence is chain link and bumped up to their wooden fence in the back yard.

My neighbors on both sides are fine so the chain link has worked well. It is only the backyard of my neighbors to the rear that I'd rather not see. I could complete my chain link in the back yard but then I'd still have to look at their shit.

I also don't want to remove my current chain link fence and replace it with a wooden fence because it would make my yard sorta claustraphobic. Not to mention would cost a LOT more than simply buying them an entire rear section of fence.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That would work but all my other neighbors would move and my wife would kill me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. A few hundred now may save you thousands. It will at least make the place look better and have more appeal.

That was my line of thought as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#21]

I'd say it's probably worth it to offer to pay for half (or even all, dependning on how much easier you think it might be to sell your house) of the back section of their fence.

If you're worried about it being awkward, have your wife be the one to go talk to them first, maybe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think it's too much to ask for them to either repair the fence, or take what's still standing down.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Whoa whoa whoa.  You need to buy yourself a chin before you go buying anyone else something as trivial as a fence.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Invite them over at night for drinks, and a foursome........

oops, offtrack there......

Talk to them about their plans for repairing  the fence.   Let them know your concerns, and if necessary, offer to help with the labor and/or cost of repairs.  IF necessary.

+1

I think we should throw a few parties in SteyrAUG's yard     We would be able to advise alot better then

I agree with everyone on just fixing it or putting up your own, you'll get it back when you sell
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Put the new fence in now and just bump up your asking price to cover the cost.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#26]
The guy with the biggest firearms collection on Arfcom is wondering how to get his neighbors to do something....

What, cant decide which of the 130 firearms to use to coerce them.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Put those privacy slats in the chainlink fence.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Put those privacy slats in the chainlink fence.

Chainlink ain't tall enough.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Helping them put up a new fence would definintely be in your best interest.  In fact it would probably be an investment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Put the new fence in now and just bump up your asking price to cover the cost.
hr

Either that or inflate the asking price appropriately and make fence replacement a "bonus" to prospective buyers contingent upon sale of your home.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Pay the chicks to play volleyball in their thong bikinis....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Whatever you do, don't hire 1shott's neighbor Jimmy to build the fence.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like you have two choices.

Try and talk to them about helping theirs get fixed, or your chain link is getting ripped out and replaced by a privacy fence.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#34]
How about put up a fence yourself?  I have been in that situation before, and I was stupid enough to pay half.  Essentially I bought all their materials, and with cheap labor, the fence was almost free to them.  I say make THEM pay half, and then do it yourself.  Get a high quote in writing for the "half", first.  Price materials too.  Build it a few inches into your property.  

Fencing is easy.  Since you are selling, you can even use wood posts.  Get a drill and drill the post holes and set the posts in quickset.  1 day.  Put up the stringers and use a pneumatic nail gun to slam up boards.  2 days.  150 feet of fence by noon is a piece of cake, I've seen me do it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#36]
If you have your own chain link fence, just complete it across the back and put in plastic privacy slats.   You can make the section across the back 6' high to conceal the debris.

Offer to help your neighbors finish demolishing the privacy fence and remove the unsightly garbage and debris.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this yet but... this is sigline material right here:

Quoted:

Oh, i'm sure Steyr will plead 'freudian slip' or some other nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I think it would be a good neighborly thing to do, SteyrAUG.  You may not have much social interaction with those people now, but in the long run the small financial investment could pay off well for you.

Disclaimer:  I always offer to split fence costs with my neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm getting better.

When I wanted to know how to put a Colt M-16 upper on a Colt AR-15 lower I did manage to stop myself before I posted "What is the best way to drill my small hole?"

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm getting better.

When I wanted to know how to put a Colt M-16 upper on a Colt AR-15 lower I did manage to stop myself before I posted "What is the best way to drill my small hole?"

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#41]
This thread is useless without pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't know about the fence but I'll chip in for the pole and the webcam.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
This thread is useless without pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that...

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top