BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 1:22:57 PM EDT
Law Enforcement Faces Language Barrier In North County
Three Latino Men Shot In Last Week In Vista

POSTED: 5:57 p.m. PDT August 4, 2005
UPDATED: 5:58 p.m. PDT August 4, 2005

Story by nbcsandiego.com

SAN DIEGO -- Although nearly 50 percent of Vista residents speak Spanish as their first language, not a single deputy patrolling the city's streets is fluent in Spanish, according to the sheriff's department.

Three recent officer-involved shootings in the city have put a spotlight on the sheriff's department. The three Latino men who were shot apparently all spoke at least some English, but law enforcement officials admit, there is a language barrier in San Diego's North County.

It's a problem the department said it is trying to fix.

The language barrier in the city of 95,000 people is a challenge for patrol deputies who do not speak fluent Spanish.

"When they do respond and a report has to be taken, we do have access to our communications center, which provides us with so many interpreters in different languages," said sheriff's department Lt. Hernando Torres.

Torres told NBC 7/39 that many deputies assigned to the Vista Station speak very basic Spanish, which is enough to help residents file an auto theft, burglary or missing person's report.

" 'When was the last time the person was seen?' 'Where was the person seen?' " said Torres. "That type of information is so basic that most of our deputies can handle that."

Torres also told NBC 7/39 that the language barrier was not an issue in the recent tragic events in Vista. He said that all three of the shooting victims -- who were shot in separate incidents in the past week -- apparently spoke English.

The language barrier also makes it harder to convict criminals, according to Torres, because officers are challenged when they testify in court about Spanish-language evidence.

"He or she is going to have to testify in court that he was able to obtain that statement from a particular witness or a particular suspect, and if their Spanish is very elementary, we are going to have a hard time prosecuting those types of cases," said Torres.

The department is looking for Spanish-speaking recruits, but San Diego's high cost of living makes it hard to attract qualified candidates, regardless of their language skills.

"The cost of housing is a huge issue," said Sgt. Greg Barnett. "Our salaries are just not commensurate with the cost of housing in San Diego County."

A public forum hosted by the city of Vista and the San Diego County Sheriff's Department will be held next week to discuss the recent officer-involved shootings in Vista. The goal of the meeting is to answer questions or concerns about the recent shootings. It will be held at Lincoln Middle School in Vista from 7-9 p.m., and translators will be at the event.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Absofuckinglutely not.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope. If they can't speak the local language, they can go back to Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
No , but if ya don't speak english it should be a automatic trip to south of the border.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Absofuckinglutely not.

+1

The last time I looked this was still THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  We speak ENGLISH here.  If you're a tourist or visiting businessperson, fine, I don't expect you to know the language.

If you are here legally then I DO expect you to be able to READ, SPEAK and UNDERSTAND the ENGLISH language.

If you're here illegally then you and get the fuck out of my country.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe my Uncle's department requires it for any new hire.

Sounds like a good idea based on the demographics of his area.

BTW, not every communication with the community is for negative reasons.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No , but if ya don't seak english it should be a automatic trip to south of the border.

What happens if you can't spell it?

j/k
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 if you get shot because the leo say stop and you don't then you are at fault.

Mexican police are not required to speak english to deal with me.

+1 Cannot agree more. You choose to invade a country that predominently speaks english. I have no obligation to learn your language other than to be able to tell you to get your ass back out of my country.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Cops should be trained to deal with the situations they're most likely to encounter.  In CA speaking spanish would be a good idea.  Non english speaking criminals and witnesses need to be questioned, quite frequently I imagine.

I'm not saying ALL cops should be required to speak spanish, but some of them definatly should.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck the filthy illegal aliens. If they weren't always commiting some sort of crime they wouldn't even need to deal with the cops anyway.

Especially if they kept their worthless asses were they belong...in shitty Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Mexican police are not required to speak english to deal with me.

GD handwringers seem to overlook that no-so-small fact.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
when my abcestors came to this country they had to learn to speak english, nuff said
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Making the lack of English language skills acceptable is just another incremental step.
That nutjob Michael Savage is right on a few things; Language, Borders, Culture.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Actions speak louder than words.

Well maybe AMF, but that's all they need to know!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
heck no
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
No, they should learn Chinese so they can greet the invasion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Some comedian said my feelings when talking about ATM machines and automated phone directories.  "Press one for English.  Press 2 for Spanish.  Yeah, well, I want one that says 'Press 3 if you want the fucker who presses 2 to learn fucking English!'"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope.  Just like ATMs should not have language options other than English.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Speaking as a former resident, yes . It is North Mexico ya' know.
The sooner Kali destructs the better.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nope.  Just like ATMs should not have language options other than English.

Exactly.

Don't speak English= Bye-bye.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Last time I checked we speak ENGLISH here in the good 'ol US of A.

No, they shouldn't be required to learn Spanish. It ain't fuckin' Mexico, despite what some PC pieces of shit would have you believe.

Mr. Gun, Mr. Nightstick, and Mr. Handcuffs are universally understood.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Have ya not been to South Florida lately? Spanish is about all that's spoken down there, I hear? Schools, radio, the whole bit.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have ya not been to South Florida lately? Spanish is about all that's spoken down there, I hear? Schools, radio, the whole bit.

Yeah but we got more hotties than TN

ETA: Fuck em. As said, Mexican police don't speak english for me, so fuck them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#25]
HOW ABOUT LEARNING ENGLISH? THE REST OF THE FRIGGIN'POPULATION?COMING TO YOU LIVE FROM THE CAPITAL OF ILLEGALS
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Sure they should speak spanish, but what about every other freaking language?  If they do spanish, then they should do others, if not Fuck Off.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#27]
i think u guys are missing the point.

u guys are resigned to the fact that the people be made to assimilate and learn the language
as our ancestors did.
if u dont speak english , get the fuck out
I agree

But it aint gonna happen.

For the cops to remain safe themselves, right or wrong, they better learn to speak spanish
for their own protection. Because the problem in the southwest aint going away
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I can state emphatically as a So Cal LEO - NO!

They need to learn my language.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#31]
yeah, I think they should, but only if their planing on moving to mexico or spain, other than that, its a big NO!, if they move to America, then let them learn to speak like an American.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Spaninsh?  I have sections in Brooklyn where Subway Metro card vending machines and ATMs have your choice of Spanish, Chinese, Russian, and Yiddish.  They all understand that when I take out my handcuffs it means I need your ID to write a ticket or you go to jail.  Then all of a sudden they are fluent in English.  I should have been a teacher.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Passing an English language test and basic skills test (reading, writing, math etc...) should be an immigration requirement (if it is not already - I wouldn't know).
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
when my ancestors came to this country they had to learn to speak english, nuff said

big +1 here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top