Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 10:49:57 AM EDT
I say yes.  If it is a valid way of showing whether or not you can carry a gun, I should count for everything else.

I think that we should push for it to be a valid form of ID.  Any reason not to?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
They are a valid state ID.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Other than I don't want anyone, including people who need to see a form of Government issued I.D., knowing I have one?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure it is in KY. At least when I am required 2 id's, one is my ccw card.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

if they weren't, you could print them yourself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Can you buy alcohol with them in your state?  In Illinois, they won't recognize anything but a State ID card or Driver's License.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you buy alcohol with them in your state?  

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You sure? My CCW is just a small piece of laminated copy paper
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you buy alcohol with them in your state?  In Illinois, they won't recognize anything but a State ID card or Driver's License.

My buddy has a TN license and he uses it to buy liquor in IL all the time

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
They accepted mine at Hobby Airport in Houston to get on a flight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
It should be a valid form of identification.

I used mine the other day(although I don't like advertising the fact that I CCW) to get a document notorized because I left my drivers license in my copy machine back at home. The bank didn't have an issue with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Any picture ID that requires a background check and a fingerprint submission should be regarded as a more "valid" ID than your DL.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Any picture ID that requires a background check and a fingerprint submission should be regarded as a more "valid" ID than your DL.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has my picture, DOB, license number (SSN if you so chose it to be), a data strip on the back.

In short it is everything a driver's license is.

Can I buy alcohol with it?  Don't know, never tried.  But that has more to do with the ignorance of the clerk on valid forms of state ID then it does with the legal weight the card carries.

In all official business that require two photo state ID's, my Firearms Permit was accepted with out a batting of an eye.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#16]
If they added a pic, I guess so. In AZ they do not have a picture and are not valid with a gov't issued photo ID.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#17]
As long as they have a photo, and other security features (lamination, holograms, etc....) like driver's licenses, they should.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I say yes.  If it is a valid way of showing whether or not you can carry a gun, I should count for everything else.

I think that we should push for it to be a valid form of ID.  Any reason not to?

Um, in FL it is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They should be an endorsement ON your state ID/DL...

Class D for cars
Class M for motorcycle
(Commercial Vehicle Classes)
Class W for concealed weapons

Simplifies everything for the state, lowers the cost of administering the program, and makes it less likely for someone to get in trouble for forgetting their license (because it's your DL *and* your CCW)....

As it stands, many states do not issue a 'photo ID' CCW permit, so it can't be a valid ID as it stands

Further, while some of you almost get ass-raped to get a CCW...

In some states like WA it's a short form, 2 forms of ID, and a $60 fee...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they would refuse to accept a federally issued passport?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I have seen some permits that were 40 years old and the picture and residential information were nothing close to current. The permits also had none of the anti-forgery features that are standard with DLs, .mil IDs, etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#22]
seeing that mine shows my citizenship and has more in depth background checking (including finger printing) than a passport it should work to get me back across the canadian border
I don't think it would though
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they would refuse to accept a federally issued passport?

Hey...

I've had 2 or 3 places that INSISTED on a driver's license when asking me for ID...

NM that my DoD ID card is several times more 'secure' than any drivers license ever issued...

'What is THAT?'

Etc...

(I use my military ID, and leave my DL in my car so that if I'm ever stopped, I'm sure I have my license)...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is my CCW

Looks like a 9 year old made it. No way I could buy beer with it.

Front:

Back:
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I have used mine in Colorado & Europe as an ID, and since it has "Sheriff's Department" across the top with photo ID, no one has refused it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#26]
In MO, the endorsement goes on either your DL or a non-DL, so it is on a state ID.  I think it works out well.  I got it on a non-DL so that when people as for my DL, they don't see the CCW endorsement.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

In AZ a CCW has no picture on it.

BTW, I voted yes but I have mixed feelings on whether a permit should even be required.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#28]
It depends on the state.  I currently live in TN and our permits are issued by the Department of safety and you acctually apply at a drivers exam station.  It has photo, address and the same number as your DL.

When I lived in GA the permit was issued by the county and signed by the same judge as you marraige lic.  It had no pic only a finger print.  It was no more a form of ID than your car tag reciept.  You still have to have a photo to prove it is your permit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should be an endorsement ON your state ID/DL...

Class D for cars
Class M for motorcycle
(Commercial Vehicle Classes)
Class W for concealed weapons

Simplifies everything for the state, lowers the cost of administering the program, and makes it less likely for someone to get in trouble for forgetting their license (because it's your DL *and* your CCW)....

As it stands, many states do not issue a 'photo ID' CCW permit, so it can't be a valid ID as it stands

Further, while some of you almost get ass-raped to get a CCW...

In some states like WA it's a short form, 2 forms of ID, and a $60 fee...

problem is what if your drivers license is revoked ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have seen some permits that were 40 years old and the picture and residential information were nothing close to current. The permits also had none of the anti-forgery features that are standard with DLs, .mil IDs, etc.

40 yrs.. Wouldnt they be expired anyways ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#31]
In Wyoming they look similar to your drivers license, just a different color. It has pretty much the same info; full name, DOB, height, sex, address, and issue/expiration date, and a mug shot. I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid form of ID.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#32]
in Missouri, you can put your CCW on a state ID or DL. most people choose to put it on a state ID and have a DL as well.....precisely so you don't have to let people know you are carrying when having to show and ID.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]
In SC they look just like the drivers lisence, they just have a different color boder.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#34]
NV CCW are State issued, per the county, so NV CCW is a 2nd form of ID.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

40 yrs.. Wouldnt they be expired anyways ?

NYS pistol permits don't expire, in most of the state. Once issued they are good for life or until revoked. I know some guys  ( who have come in to buy guns from me ) who have pulled out permits that were issued in the 1960s. They could get them updated by a judge, but one reason they wont is that they were issued their original permit when the judges were not overstamping their permit with limitations; the newer judges will overstamp the permits, limiting them to hunting, target practice, etc.

Quoted:
[problem is what if your drivers license is revoked ?

Many states have a non-driver ID that looks similar to the drivers license for that state.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#36]
CA CCW cards (yes. they do exist) do not have photos on them, and as such, cannot be used for ID.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Assuming they aren't already, I say "yes".

In PA (the county I live in, anyhow), they are on a hard plastic card, not at all unlike a driver's license. It's got all of the same information on it that my DL has- Name, date of birth, height, weight, hair and eye color, my address, and a photo.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If they added a pic, I guess so. In AZ they do not have a picture and are not valid with a gov't issued photo ID.

Baby steps i guess, at least the new ones are better looking than that old laminated thing we used to get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top