BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2002 5:53:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to hear a reasoned discussion for and against the complete legalization of all drugs. My feeling is that if you're so stupid as to use them, you deserve what you get and society doesn't owe you one cent in rehab costs.

You have to admit the crime rate would plummet, simply because the profit margin would vanish. The government could tax it, thus filling their filthy coffers ever further.

On the other hand, I don't think I want to live in a society where PCP use is commonplace and cocaine can be purchased next to Tylenol.

So, seeing that on this issue I am a true fence-sitter (probably the ONLY topic I am), does anyone care to push me one way or the other?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.........

Uhhh..........Nevermind. I forgot what I was going to say!

Eric The(Hmmm..What'sInTheFridge?)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd love to hear a reasoned discussion for and against the complete legalization of all drugs. My feeling is that if you're so stupid as to use them, you deserve what you get and society doesn't owe you one cent in rehab costs.

You have to admit the crime rate would plummet, simply because the profit margin would vanish. The government could tax it, thus filling their filthy coffers ever further.

On the other hand, I don't think I want to live in a society where PCP use is commonplace and cocaine can be purchased next to Tylenol.

So, seeing that on this issue I am a true fence-sitter (probably the ONLY topic I am), does anyone care to push me one way or the other?
View Quote

They are just talking about marijuana here.  You dont see lots of people getting behind legalizing PCP and Crack because its just flat out bad for you.  The worst that will happen if/when they do legalize marijuana is the local grocery store will be out of little debbies for awhile.  

www.norml.org [):)]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
"Should Americans be allowed possession?"

I really don't like the wording of the question. It implies someone has the authority to disallow it. I propose:

"Should the U.S. Government stop robbing Americans of small amounts of marijuana?"
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Should Americans be allowed possession?"

I really don't like the wording of the question. It implies someone has the authority to disallow it. I propose:

"Should the U.S. Government stop robbing Americans of small amounts of marijuana?"
View Quote

Ding!  That's the very first thing that popped into my head when I saw the topic.  Before even opening it.

My proposed wording is "Should the government be allowed to restrict...".  The answer to this version (for me, at least) is no.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.........

Uhhh..........Nevermind. I forgot what I was going to say!
View Quote

Eric, the only comment I can make about what you said is....like

[size=6]DUDE!!![/size=6]hehehehehehehehehe
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
the only downside to legalizing mary is we would probly have a much higher burn out rate. people say weed dont do much to you. i know its probly safter than alcohol or cigarets, but i know some real burn boys. its obvious thier excessive use of the drug has left thier brain a bit toasted. i know its personal choice and all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm really with USNA91 on this one, becuase there are so many things for both sides.  

For one thing tho, even if mary jane is legalized, our tax money would definatley still be put into rehab centers and stuff, then all these burnt out ppl would be on welfare and shit, and i really don't want to just give ppl money cause they smoked too much pot.[smoke]

And believe you me, i know quite a few ppl who have smoked too much, and you can tell.  Just look around next time you go into a convience store that ain't owned by the Taliban.  

Anyways, ppl also shouldn't be told what they can and can't do to a point.  This is sort of like prohibition, and that was eventually shot down, so i can see it going either way.  Someone hurry and shove me over to one side of this fence. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will give you the argument for.

First off, look at what happened during prohibition.  The banning of alcohol created more crime and violence then did the drug itself.  Decriminalizing drugs would make the streets MUCH safer.  No longer would you have to deal with criminals and derelicts to get drugs.

View Quote

You are absolutely right.  The reason why we have so many problems with drugs today is because they have been criminalized.  The first drug laws, particularly against marijuana were aimed at the Chinese and the Mexicans to try to keep them out of the country.  Because drugs are illegal, people who do use drugs are forced to go to criminals to get drugs.

If drugs were legalized, they would be a million times safer.  They could be regulated in some way by the government, like we have with alcohol.

View Quote

Where is personal responsibility in your argument?  You don't want drugs to be available, however alcohol and cigarettes are readily available at any store.  Alochol my friend is MUCH more dangerous then marijuana, and we all know the health concerns with cigs.  Sure SOME people may try drugs as a result of legalization when the otherwise my not but that is their decision, and what I feel is their right.  

So much of our tax dollars are spent on this "war on drugs" which has accomplished what?  I don't use drugs, but with 15 minutes and a cell phone, I could practically get any drug I wanted to.  Have the laws stopped me from getting drugs?  NO.  Have the laws made it more dangerous for me to do something I might do anyway?  ABSOLUTELY.

Personal responsibility should be first and foremost in this argument.  Most drug users are not addicts, more like occasional users.  The drug addicts are a very very small minority of drug users.  

The bottom line of my argument, is that my life is my life.  You should have no right to tell me what I can do with my own body.

PEOPLE USE DRUGS REGARDLESS OF LAWS.  We might as well make it safer for those who do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You cannot legislate morality so count another yes here.

View Quote

Can't legislate morality?  Hmm... we'll have to get rid of those laws against theft, then (maybe that's not such a bad idea, so I can go steal that awesome preban I saw at the gun shop last week).  We'll also have to get rid of the laws against perjury (8th Commandment), murder(5th Commandement), rape (6th, 9th, and also 5th Commandements), extortion (7th Commandment), etc.

You'll need a better argument than that to support legalizing mary-joo-wanna.  And, since I haven't studied the issue enough, I'm not going to hop on either side of the fence right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top