Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/1/2006 12:13:13 AM EDT
just got off the horn with dallas 911. heard what i believed to be gunshots within 1/2 mile, 2 seperate weapons. 2 doubletaps within about 10 sec, followed by 8-10 rapid shots with quite different reports--enough to suspect different weapons, rather than angular changes.

called 911 to advise, and took about 4min of an operator's time. after i got off the phone, i started wondering if this was a valid call, or if i should have left it alone.

from a LEO perspective, is this the kind of thing you'd want called in, or does it represent a waste of time for the operator/dispatched officer's time?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:27:03 AM EDT
tag, interested
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:28:23 AM EDT
We deal with shots fired calls all the time. Usually end up being unable to find something, but sometimes we get into something. I dont see anything wrong with calling
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:30:29 AM EDT
well, I have seen many an episode of COPS where the car responds to a "shots fired" call and action was afoot, so that seems to suggest that SOME of those calls are responded to and beneficial. Maybe you might have saved some poor SOB who was bleeding on the pavement.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:27:41 AM EDT
most of the shots fired calls that come in, we can't find anything. But that applies to most types of 911 calls. We don't mind looking for trouble. Sometimes we locate something.

almost all real shots fired calls come in multiples. Especially with the proliferation of cell phones. There will be five callers. Radio will say if there was only one call, usually means fireworks or somebody slamming a dumpster lid. Multiple callers means it's more than likely real. If you heard it call it in, the numbers mean something to us.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:23:54 AM EDT
bump for the daywalkers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:37:52 AM EDT
I'd take this call and readily feel it was justified, but knowing that by the time somebody gets there, there's either going to be absolutely nothing found, or somebody's dead on the sidewalk.

A waste of time would be something like the calls we get in late fall, from people saying it "sounds like WWIII out here!" Of course, they live on a lake with the best duck hunting in the area, so of course that's a waste of time. A 911 call on the Fourth of July from a rural area also would be a waste of time. This, however, was most certainly NOT a waste of the dispatchers time.

In all likelihood, they probably got many calls about something like that, but there's always those flukes, where everybody else says, "Somebody else will call 911." but nobody does. If you had not, imagine some guy that just got attacked, and used his carry gun to pop one or more attackers, but had no cell phone and now had nothing but a bunch of people he had hurt and no po-po's around. Not a good situation for him, now or in court. You did fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:08:57 PM EDT
Oh that was just me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:42:54 PM EDT
working night shift leaves me hanging out around the house during the late hours of sunlight. I've been hearing gun shots about once a week for the last two months.

Living in the middle of McAlester, Ok

not exactly gang land, but not high class neighbor hoods exactly.

WE called the cops the time it came from nextdoor, so did a few other people, but nothing came of it.

Lately it's been multiple gun shots. often sounding like it's coming from inside a house.

WE haven't been calling anything in, because we figured we'd get on the "list" and "they" would think we were full of shit. nothing in the newspapers... whoever is getting shot isn't getting missed... so to speakl.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:11:25 AM EDT
update--spoke with my friend who works the corner gas station, which is a popular late-night hangout for both state troopers and DPD. evidently, there was a massive response around 3:15, including 6-8 state and local units, as well as multiple EMS and fire. this can't have been from my call alone, so i feel better about having contributed, instead of burdened.

will update again when i chat with my cop buddies.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 1:16:24 AM EDT by buzgun]
Wasnt Lootie relocated to Texas ?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:42:10 PM EDT
update: spoke with an officer tonight who said that it was a casualty shooting. can't find more info, but my newspaper archive-fu is weak.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 8:49:17 PM EDT by DK-Prof]

Originally Posted By sirensong:
update: spoke with an officer tonight who said that it was a casualty shooting. can't find more info, but my newspaper archive-fu is weak.

I would definitely have called. You don;t want to NOT call, and then be the scene of the next Kitty Genovese murder.

Slightly off-topic, but WHAT is your avatar? It's driving me crazy! Is it a crusty fisherman getting ready to hump a mermaid he just caught?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:50:34 PM EDT
Katrina evacuees
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:56:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Slightly off-topic, but WHAT is your avatar? It's driving me crazy! Is it a crusty fisherman getting ready to hump a mermaid he just caught?

don't know the story behind the artwork, but it is poignant. a glimpse of beauty in a terribly mundane existence.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:22:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sirensong:

don't know the story behind the artwork, but it is poignant. a glimpse of beauty in a terribly mundane existence.

Thanks! Do you have a bigger picture, or can point me to one? Now that you used a fancy word like "poignant" I really want to have a better look.

In that small pic, it almost looks like it's on a Hawaiian beach, with white sand and palm trees, but that doesn't fit with his big yellow Souwester raincoat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:42:23 PM EDT
don't have a bigger one. when i finally figured out how to put an avatar on here, i google pic searched for "mermaids". this was on the first page, and linked to only a thumb, not a full-sized pic. couldn't find a bigger version anywhere, but the thumb was too perfect to pass up.

funny that you see it as hawaii. i always associated it with virginia, though i'm sure the garb affected that impression.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 10:01:37 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
I've been furiously Googling "fisherman" and "Mermaid" but can't quite find it.

I did find some stuff that would make both Disney and H.C. Anderson spin in their graves.

Oh well - maybe I'll see it someday.

ETA: AHA - when I Googled "dead mermaid" I found a slightly larger picture.

Finally I can go to bed, my curiosity sated.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:27:01 AM EDT

I did find some stuff that would make both Disney and H.C. Anderson spin in their graves.

www.ladysrealm.com/mermaids/redtideLG-tb.JPG

A great deed has been done, sir. Well done!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:12:48 AM EDT
When at home, I seem to be a regular caller for shots fired. I have a pretty good ear and hae picked up on the different types of weapons, basic location, etc. when I hear it. Usually it's some dumbass who just bought a WASR-10 (legally, or illegally, who knows) testing it out at 2 am in their backyard.

Then there was the ever famous shootout down the street from my house. Unfortunately that resulted in the death of a 15 year old girl.

Litterally found a spend 9mm FMJ bullet that must have run out of energy and landed on my driveway. Had the rifling marks and everything on it and it was sitting there almost like it could have been reloaded. My daughter found it and I called the police. I don't know if there was anything they could find on it, but I gave it to the local PD.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:19:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By buzgun:
Wasnt Lootie relocated to Texas ?

i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/buzgn/NO_looter_ammo.jpg

Oh f*CK!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:53:00 AM EDT
I called once about a drive by two houses down from where I lived. A black male in a blue Ford Probe GT fired five shots from a 9mm and slowly drove off. I watched him do this at 3:30 in the afternoon. I called the cops and two patrol cars show up. Now I am gonna assume here, when they saw how young I was, one of them got back in the car and left. I was pissed. Now I was 19 or 20 but I looked younger. I explain in full detail what happened and explained who I saw him shooting at and how many rounds. I even told him it was a 9mm. So after taking a quick walk he comes back with shell casings from a 9mm. He was nice enough to inform me that since it wasn't me he was shooting at, they can't do anything about it.

- shooting inside city limits
- attempted murder

None of those seemed to warrant a report even being taken. I decided that if they wanted to shoot in my neighborhood I would have something to shoot back with. I proceeded to purchase an 870 and an SKS the next week.

As I paid for my assault rifle I was watching Columbine unfold on a TV in the gun shop.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:27:47 AM EDT
Get calls all the time like this. Being a good Citizen never goes out of style.

Usually roll through the area and look for shell casings. Always look harder when there are multiple calls.

Your call may have been just one or one of many. If your a "gun nut" you probably know the difference between firecrackers, backfire and gun fire. Trust your gut.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:33:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

I wonder if I will be banned now, for posting mermaid-boob
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:44:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

I wonder if I will be banned now, for posting mermaid-boob

I figured it would squeak by, and now you went and said it...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:49:24 AM EDT
I was at home all night watching the X-Files.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
My former co-worker who is now a city police officer stresses that when in doubt always call 911. His reasoning is that there is always a patrol unit close by and if you think something is awry; it probably is.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:22:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:44:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I was at home all night watching the X-Files.

Bullshit.

I know how you Detroit folk feel about liqour store. Steve is a crip.
Top Top