Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2001 12:12:33 AM EDT
Do you need a rifled "slug" barrel to shoot slugs out of a shotgun, or will they work in a smoothbore?  I have a Mossberg 590 and love it.

Been thinking about throwing some big lead downrange, but not sure if it's compatible.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#1]
No. Smooth bores will shoot them O.K. Just not as accurately, also I (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) don't think there would be an advantage to using the "sabot" rounds in a smooth bore. But try them out and you may be suprised what thier capeable of.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks thistle!

I just wanted to make sure before I tried it out.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
They even sell rifled slugs for use in smoothbores. Total devistation! I've shot deer at as far as 100 yards with a slug in a smoothbore.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My REM870  12ga.smoothbore shoots the Brenneke(sp?)slugs very well.
Good deer medicine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
experts, would he have to be wary of what choke is installed? also, you're talking about rifled slugs, right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
shot some of the Remington Sabots the other day through a buddys Rem 1100w/28" mod choke....Had one of the saddle scope mounts with a 2X aimpoint on it....at 50 yds was shooting groups of less than 2" and a few through the same hole-give or take 1/2 inch...next trip we'll go for 100yds.....in his gun we found the Rem sabots were better shooters than the Winchester sabot....Dick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top