Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2001 10:50:42 AM EDT
Just bought an 870 synthetic HD and I want to find info on accessories and reccommendations. Any suggestions on where to look or just suggestions? I'm looking for info on side saddles, mag extensions, sights etc. I'm leaning towards sending at least the barrel to Vang Comp for porting and backboring. I'd be great if there was an 870.com or web site dedicated to shotguns.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to go defensive with it try Wilson Comabt/Scattergun Technologies. They bought out Scattergun and sell all of their products ans accessories.
www.wilsoncombat.com ? Not sure but the do have a web site.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I own an 870 HD also. Here's what I did to mine:
2 shot mag extension (bought at gun show)
6 shot Side Saddle (bought at gun show)
SpeedFeed pistol grip stock, holds four more rounds in buttstock. Note: this is a full length stock with a pistol grip on it. Just a pistol grip alone would be unmanageable most times.
Surefire fore-end light.
Side sling/bandoleer - holds another 12 rounds.
The extension, side saddle, follower, and mag spring are from Scattergun Technologies.

Only one gun to grab when in the dark in a hurry.

The HD model has a cylinder bore barrel, which means there is NO choke whatsoever. It still groups 00 buckshot under 15" at 25 yards, which is much further than you need to use buckshot anyway.

NOTE: When you add a mag extension to this gun, there is a raised bead inside the original mag tube that must be either filed down or otherwise removed. I used a circular file and about a half hour patiently filing and checking until it was smooth.  

The only mods I still want to add to mine are Trijicon ghost ring sites and an oversized safety.

Also, with 3" magnum shells it had downright abusive recoil. I now use 2 3/4" tactical shells that have reduced recoil. Before anyone calls me a sissy, let me assure you that I am not recoil shy in the least. Maybe it's the rock hard recoil pad on the stock, I don't know. Four or five rounds is about all anyone would want to shoot with the Mags.

A fine household cannon indeed!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Gus: What are you using to hold the magazine extension in place?  Did you have to get an old-style detent staked into the hole on the barrel?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You're NO sissy gus.  I made the mistake of firing 3" magnum #4 buckshot from my 870 (18" Open Bore barrel, TacStar pistol grip and forearm grip - no buttstock!)  Man was that brutal.  I thought my left and right thumbs had been dislocated.  I've since removed the forearm pistol grip and replaced it with a regular Hogue overmolded.  The recoil on the right hand is still punishing - maybe a Pachmayr vindicator grip will help.  However, the 870 configured like this makes for a lethal defense weapon.  The 3" #4 Buckshot packs 41 / .22 caliber pellets - ouch.  Mine doesn't seem to group them as tight as the other guy who posted here, but it will literally make mush out of anything <15yds.  My first victim was a garden-rooting armadillo at about 5 steps - I guess it became fertilizer.  Anyway, my 870 makes for a nice "truck gun".  It fits neatly between the front seats under the console.  I would also like to have a set of Tritium ghost rings, saw some on clearance at CheaperThanDirt not long ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello...somebody can help me to find a speedloader for my SPAS 12? I know that I not in the right thread but I couldn't find help with my topic...please help me.
Thank You very much.

Bye
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Wilson/Scattergun has the ghost ring sights also. I have their K9 (11-87) and their 870.
Happy with both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gus: What are you using to hold the magazine extension in place?  Did you have to get an old-style detent staked into the hole on the barrel?

Kharn
View Quote

No, it just screws on to the end of the original magazine tube. It replaces the cap nut that holds the barrel in place on the end of the mag.  I do have a clamp-on stabilizer thingy that provides a front side sling attachment - it clamps around the barrel and the mag extension.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wilson/Scattergun has the ghost ring sights also. I have their K9 (11-87) and their 870.
Happy with both.
View Quote

I'm kinda hung up trying to find out if the SGT sites are the exact same thing as the Trijicon sites. They look identical. I've noticed that Wilson doesn't offer the rear ghost ring with the tridium dots - only the front site has it. The Trijicons look identical, except they have tridium dots on either side of the ghost ring, just like my AR sites. The reason I'm trying to figure this out is I need to know if I can use a SGT drilling fixture to install the Trijicon sites.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an 870 and sold it to buy the Mossberg 590.
The 590 already has an extended tube. It takes nine 2-3/4" or eight 3" mags. you can alternate the loads and shell sizes in the tube and works flawlessly. I put a side saddle shell carrier on mine. Best home defense weapon!

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=532526&p=47703723&Sequence=0&res[img/]

John
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can't go wrong with the Vang Comp system...
View Quote

I read about the Vang Comp system in American Rifleman when they were testing Federal's Tactical Loads. This was the system recommended by the author and has interested me. Where can I get it???
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Beagles:  What is that on the end of your Mossberg  -  a tongue depressor????

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
+3 Choate magazine extension.
Side Saddle.
20'' barrel with rifle sights.
I got the police style forearm for $10 at gunshow(factory forearm bumps into sidesaddle)
Loaded with federal buckshot. 3extra, 3 brenneke slugs in sidesaddle.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wv/UQ92307.jpg[/img]
This 870 kills deer ! ! !
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Am I the only one here who doesn't have much trouble shooting magnums and slugs from my 870?

So far I haven't been able to get enough from my 870 when it comes to shooting slugs, I love hearing the rifled slugs wiz down range and even with my regular bead sight I manage to make decent hits out to 100 yards.

Last weekend my buddy and I were shooting a couple 2 3/4 inch 2oz Turkey loads just for the hell out of it, those things will definitely get your attention but they didn't make me curl up and cry like a sissy or anything.

Now if I had an extra full choke on my 870 I'm sure I'd sing a different tune, right now the 870 has a ImpCyl choke on it so it's not too brutal in my opinion.

I got sorta accustomed to stout recoil thanks to an old Steven's model single shot 12 gauge with an extra full choke, it used to be my jack rabbit gun and one shot from a magnum in it will come back and level your butt pretty quick and leave a nice bruise on your shoulder with just one shot, at around 5 shots the bruise is already turning black and blue.

As for the 870, I prefer it over the Mossbergs.  The 590 interested me a bit but I'd rather have the 870 where I can put an extension on it for home defense or combat matches but if I want to go out hunting I can return it to a 5 round capacity with 3 shot plug and put a nice hunting barrel on it and have more versatility than the 590 alone.  The 590 has accesories but the 870 has an advantage with even more accesories it would seem, with the exception of the nifty toungue depressor it though!

HEHE, that is pretty funny, a tactical toungue depressor, say "AHHHHHHHHH"

gotta love all that is OD Green

Meet my mean green machine Police 870.

It came without that politically correct garbage safety they like to put into the Remingtons now.  It also came without the politically correct dimples in the magazine to restrict the shell capacity if an extension is used.
[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/870Pr.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#16]
i have an 870 with the original wood stock. acually ia have 2. one is bone stock and the other hold 10, count um 10 shells. talk about firepower. holy god, i would hate to be on the reciving end of that thing. ot dishes out massive destruction. im talking a real pit bull. go for the 9 shot ext. it kicks ass. mine required a little work, that i did my self. it dont take a rocket scientist. use a dremal or file
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought about Scattergun Tech and their $169 Steal Deal but since it is a new 870 Synthetic I think I can add the parts myself and come out cheaper. I've also got a question on the safety. Remington is putting an integrated key lock in the safety button. If I want to replace it with a big button safety will this cause any problems or be more difficult? With an 18" barrel what is the longest mag extension I can put on it with out causing problems? I believe it's the 7 shot which will end even with the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Beagles:  What is that on the end of your Mossberg  -  a tongue depressor????
View Quote

Yup...It's also my license to practice open heart surgery...

John[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
uglygun said:" Last weekend my buddy and I were shooting a couple 2 3/4 inch 2oz Turkey loads just for the hell out of it, those things will definitely get your attention but they didn't make me curl up and cry like a sissy or anything."

LOL!!!  See, I knew someone would say it, especially on this board!  I have several 12 ga. shotguns, and none of them is as brutal as my 870 HD. I don't know if it's due to the light weight or the cheasy recoil pad.
Dude, if'n ya wanna find out if you can handle recoil, my father has a Ruger single shot .458 Magnum that will quickly determine your manhood!!  At any rate, even if you can hang with the recoil of my HD at the range, think about its effects when you're just awakened out of bed and not wearing anything to pad it like a jacket. I didn't want to find out so I bought a sh*t load of Federal Tactical ammo.

Curl up and cry like a sissy....Damn that's funny!!

[B)]

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I just felt my right shoulder toughen up substantially!! I bet I can fire a howitzer offhand now!  Why??? Because I just made [b]SENIOR MEMBER!!!![/b]

Or maybe that just means I'm old now....

Hello AARP???
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#22]
So, has anybody changed the recoil pad then? Having a Synthetic stock is the pad glued on or bolted? My friend put a recoil reducer in his 870 but it has a wood stock and was drilled to accept the reducer. He claimed Syn stocks were hollow and you couldn't use one.

Several manufacturers make accessories, is the quality the same, take side saddles for instance.

Finally, who carries all this stuff cheap? I find the gun shows around here not to have many bargains.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, has anybody changed the recoil pad then? Having a Synthetic stock is the pad glued on or bolted? My friend put a recoil reducer in his 870 but it has a wood stock and was drilled to accept the reducer. He claimed Syn stocks were hollow and you couldn't use one.

Several manufacturers make accessories, is the quality the same, take side saddles for instance.

Finally, who carries all this stuff cheap? I find the gun shows around here not to have many bargains.
View Quote

I haven't tried to replace the pad on my SpeedFeed stock yet. I'll check it out when I get home and let you know what I see.  
As far as other accessories, I would stick with Scattergun Tech for parts that affect the function of the shotgun, meaning the mag extension, spring, and follower. For the side saddle, Tac Star also makes one that looks to be as good as the one from SGT. Sights are more of a personal choice. Most of these parts are available cheap from Cheaper Than Dirt [url]www.cheaperthandirt.com[/url].
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#24]
gus:
I'm not sure about installing the rear sight "tubes". I'm not technical and would send the rear sight off to have it done properly.
Like to Innovative Weaponry (PT night sights.
Good luck and fill us in on the project.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
gus:
I'm not sure about installing the rear sight "tubes". I'm not technical and would send the rear sight off to have it done properly.
Like to Innovative Weaponry (PT night sights.
Good luck and fill us in on the project.
View Quote

Scattergun Tech used to offer a replacement rear ghost ring that had the tridium vials already installed. Since they no longer offer these, I did a little browsing in the Brownell's catalog and noticed that Trijicon makes a complete ghost ring sight kit that has the tridium vials in both the front and rear sights. The trijicon kit looks EXACTLY like SGT's "Trac-Loc" kit. SGT/Wilson also offers a drilling fixture for drilling the mounting holes for the sight in the shotgun's receiver.
What I need to know is: Are the mounting holes for the Trijicon rear ghost ring the same as required for the Wilson/SGT sight. If they are, I can order the Trijicon kit and use the SGT fixture to drill and tap the receiver holes to mount it. They look so much alike, I am inclined to believe that SGT was buying the sights from Trijicon and selling them under their own trade name. Anyone know if they are the same???
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I'm going with the MMC sights. They have a clamp on front sight which should clear the Vang Comp System porting, I'll check with Vang Comp to confirm, for the rear I like the "wings" to protect the ring unlike Scatterguns. Has anybody done a side by side or actually used both of the rear sights by MMC and Mec-Gar for a comparison?
Just how hard is it to mount the rear sights yourself? Any pointers? A shooting buddy has a drill press and seems fairly confident about it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Also found a Shotgun Forum over at The Firingline:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=2&daysprune=

Lost of info there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Gus, my 870 isn't bad at all with even the most stout of loads.

But man, the 12gauge single shot I have will down right crush you if you give it the chance by loading a magnum shell into it.   Usually you've got to be careful how you wrap your thumb over the stock because if you're not careful you'll hit yourself in the face with your thumb as the gun recoils.  It's like a bully that grabs your hand and beats you with it while saying "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself."

Compared to that "joy" that I grew up with while out shooting my granny gun, I'd swear it's an old goose or turkey gun but I haven't physically checked the choke on it except for shooting it at paper targets and noting that it is exceptionally tight at range, my 870 is a pussycat.

My 870 is also fairly heavy and I don't have any pistol grip gimickry on it.  Full powered slugs aren't no problem in it and don't concern me much.

I do hear you on the home defense issue though where waking out of bed and getting thumped on while you're not totally coherrent isn't the smartest thing to do when one's ability to control recoil is probably at a minimum while you're life depends on it.  I've heard that discussion before and it's got merit, I'm still sorta undecided on it though.  I'm 6ft 4in and 220 pounds, I'm not trying to sound tough or anything but recoil has never really slapped me around that much.

I would like to try a 458 some day, sounds like it would be an interesting experience.   Largest full power magnum rifle I've fired was an 8mm Remington Magnum, it was pretty stout but it didn't hurt when firing it from the bench, I was 15-16 at the time and much thinner and lighter than I am now.  I recognize the two rifles aren't in the same class either.  Worst kicking gun I've fired to date would be my god awful single shot "granny gun", the thing is just brutal if you're dumb enough to throw magnum loads into it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I have two other Remington 12 ga.'s, both Wingmasters. Neither bothers me even with magnum loads. My brother has an old Winchester break action single shot that doesn't bother me. I've shot 7MM Mags, 300 Win Mags, 375 H&H, and none of them - well, maybe the 375 - bothered me. A .458 WILL bother you. But if it's being used for what it was intended for, you'd never feel it. You'd be glad to have it for that charging Rhino. But my little HD, for some reason, well, it HURTS OK???  It doesn't weigh much (I haven't tried it with all the extra ammo onboard yet, just what's in the mag) and it would definately be better with a better recoil pad. I'm 6'1 and 230 lbs, so I'm not a pushover either. At least not for a gun....

[;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, sounds like you've got a handle on recoil and the HD seems to be an exception.

My 870 did come with a nice buttpad on it thankfully.   It was made of rubber thankfully and not not like my single shot with it's super absorbing solid plastic buttplate.

My single shot is the crusher I give to people who think they are tough and can handle loads of recoil.  If they are indeed tough usually they will look over and smile at me after having touched off a round and say something to the effect of "Thank you sir may I have another."

Hmmmmm, could it be we found a new sport?  Ofcourse it would be more fun drunken, head out shooting with a few six packs for a game of "thump ya" where you get a buzz and just make sure you shoot to hit the backstop, the point isn't to actually hit anything but rather to shoot till you get a nice bruise or till you find the gun that can dish out a level of punishment that even you can't accept in your drunkeness.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#31]
BKinsey:

Check out the Bushmaster catalog for some shotgun goodies...

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/swat/[/url]

I'll post a pic of my Wingmaster tomorrow, if I get a chance to take a digital photo of it.

FITTER out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top